Ultimate SHTF rifle???

By far the best SHTF rifle I own, and I own more than two or three.

I've long been curious how many fellow Vz58 brethren we have on NES. I think of it as a fairly "niche" rifle, but I'm pleased to see so many of them in this thread. There also seems to be a moderately strong correlation between Vz58 owners and FAL owners.

Good taste, that's for sure. [cheers]
I wanted a VZ58. Now I also want a FAL.

I think that’s a little dubious. AR maintenance is pretty low and it can easily be done by the user with simple tools. Keep a few cheap and light extractors on hand and you’re good to go.

What are people going to do in the apocalypse when their AK wears out a barrel?

The one benefit of the AK is that it operates better with less lube.
I guess I never thought I'd be a 50k+ round ak47 warlord. I guess if SHTF that long I'll negotiate a work-from-home plan with my 20 year old concubines.

Me:
angry homer simpson GIF

happy to suggest something new: suppressed aug a3 with a scope, red dot, and light. the ergonomics are a bit shit for light activation, but 556 is everywhere, the rifle can take a beating, and it's easy to maneuver in tight spaces while the mushy trigger is "good enough" for a couple quick shots out at 50 meters.

Last edited:
I was going more for the point you can make just about any caliber have any desired effect, excluding some smaller cartridges.

Which is to say, you can load a 9mm with a round that butters level 2. You can also load it with a round that devastates flesh. IIRC, 5.7 FMJ out of a 16" barrel (ala PS90) reaches 3100 fps, which means it will reliably penetrate 2 and . I know SS190 and L191 can do the same out of a standard 5.7 on 3A, and with velocities closer to 2000 fps, but those are the hard to get ones.
Really pissed me off that they banned all of the most powerful 5.7 rounds . aren’t the black tips totally banned for civilians ?

Really pissed me off that they banned all of the most powerful 5.7 rounds . aren’t the black tips totally banned for civilians ?
Illegal to sell to civilians because they are a “pistol” cartridge and they can’t sell AP pistol ammo, because “cop killers” . Not sure about possession.

If SHTF, I’m going deep up north into the mountains. I doubt I’ll be grabbing mags off dead bodies. I’d likely be one of the dead bodies.

View attachment 729313
How do you guys keep your workbenches so clean? I just can’t manage that…mostly I push aside the leftovers from the last project to start the next project…

My only problem with the Vz58 is that getting one basically put all my AKs out of a job. I slowly sold or traded all of them away, the last for a nice preban L1A1.

But I just picked up a Maadi this month, so I'm back on top now! It felt weird not having an AK. But SHTF will feature my Czechpoint Vz58, not my AK.

Kinda want a Czechpoint vz58 now lol

I'll sell you mine. $23,000.

Don't lowball me. I know what I've got.

This is a joke. It's not for sale.

Looks heavy though, my 74 is really light which is why I will be packing it in a post apocalyptical scenario in central MA.. Plus got the poison boolits :) I fired one years ago but remember nothing about it, is it a milled receiver?

Back
Top Bottom