Ultimate SHTF rifle???

Anyone here would pick something more concealable? I'm thinking a Sub2000 can easily hide inside a North Face or Patagonia pack and you wouldn't be mistaken for some "survivalist terrorist". Plus, 9mm lung buster is more than enough to take down anything in the world right?
How have you not gone green yet?

Why? Ammo availability?

I can't think of a good reason to do that. The FAL shoots 7.62 so, so well.
the "good" reason would be weight savings. but really, to be contrary.

Then, we could come back around and make a small-frame FAL, jamming that 7.62 back into the smaller rifle.

What are people's priorities for SHTF? The things to me that seem to priority, in no particular order would be weight, ruggedness/durability/reliability, ammo weight, availability of ammo, stuff like that.
I would think a PS90 would rank pretty high if it wasn't for the uncommonness of 5.7, although with recent additions to the market it seems like availability is coming up and price is coming down.

I want something that is:
  • reliable
  • reasonably accurate
  • chambered in a commonly available (loaded or components), reasonably powerful cartridge with 100+ yd effective range, 300+ would be better (we're talking SHTF here, I don't want to literally be caught short)
  • mags and common breakage/wear parts available for purchase now
  • handy size and weight so it can be carried all the time and possibly concealed (I have a slight build, 5' 11" and 150 lb, so rules out battle rifles and such)

I settled on SBR'ed AR-15s in 5.56mm, and my (kept in a free state) "SHTF" rifle is a suppressed 12" SBR with a BCM upper, holosun red dot, two-point sling and weapon light. I have some 10.5" PDW setups with compact stocks and linear comps that are super handy to carry.

My MAssified SHTF rifle is a ruger PC carbine with red dot, two-point sling and weapon light.

Anyone here would pick something more concealable? I'm thinking a Sub2000 can easily hide inside a North Face or Patagonia pack and you wouldn't be mistaken for some "survivalist terrorist". Plus, 9mm lung buster is more than enough to take down anything in the world right?

The takedown PC carbine is super handy for that, as are the 10.5" rifles which can be carried assembled in a backpack or tennis racket case.

I think the biggest thing isn't the rifle you have, it's TRAINING. Know how to shoot and move, use cover and concealment, how to communicate, bounding cover with a buddy, move in buildings and built-up areas etc., and of course how to reliably hit targets from unsupported firing positions under stress. Also, knowing how to use a tourniquet is nice.

Part of me wants to make my .308 my shtf rifle.
Just if I added my choice secondary optics system on a 45 degree mount, it'd be one chonky boy of a rifle.

Part of me wants to make my .308 my shtf rifle.

I know. I love my FALs. 7.62x51 is such a great round.

But if I'm being honest with myself, I just think my x39s will be enough. And if they're not, well, I won't have to worry about it very long, anyway.

But if I'm being honest with myself, I just think my x39s will be enough. And if they're not, well, I won't have to worry about it very long, anyway.
Mines not a fal. Just a dpms style ar.

But I think 5.56/.223 is more plentiful in the wild than .308 if you were roaming the wastelands of suburbia usa.

How you gonna keep talking like that?

My plan for the apocalypse starts with "find the ginger wearing Rhody shorts and a tweed jacket*, and stack up with him."

* listen Teach, my head is a strange place, but that's canon until I learn otherwise.

How you gonna keep talking like that?

My plan for the apocalypse starts with "find the ginger wearing Rhody shorts and a tweed jacket*, and stack up with him."

* listen Teach, my head is a strange place, but that's canon until I learn otherwise.

I like to keep people guessing.

And?

pee wee herman rebel GIF

I want something that is:
  • reliable
  • reasonably accurate
  • chambered in a commonly available (loaded or components), reasonably powerful cartridge with 100+ yd effective range, 300+ would be better (we're talking SHTF here, I don't want to literally be caught short)
  • mags and common breakage/wear parts available for purchase now
  • handy size and weight so it can be carried all the time and possibly concealed (I have a slight build, 5' 11" and 150 lb, so rules out battle rifles and such)

I settled on SBR'ed AR-15s in 5.56mm, and my (kept in a free state) "SHTF" rifle is a suppressed 12" SBR with a BCM upper, holosun red dot, two-point sling and weapon light. I have some 10.5" PDW setups with compact stocks and linear comps that are super handy to carry.

My MAssified SHTF rifle is a ruger PC carbine with red dot, two-point sling and weapon light.

The takedown PC carbine is super handy for that, as are the 10.5" rifles which can be carried assembled in a backpack or tennis racket case.

I think the biggest thing isn't the rifle you have, it's TRAINING. Know how to shoot and move, use cover and concealment, how to communicate, bounding cover with a buddy, move in buildings and built-up areas etc., and of course how to reliably hit targets from unsupported firing positions under stress. Also, knowing how to use a tourniquet is nice.
Training and practice on how to sustain yourself year round, to include the winter, is way more important than any of the fire and maneuver training. Also, depending on the definition/phase of SHTF, tourniquets are not very useful. They are amazing tools to extend survivability of severe limb injuries during the golden hour before you get to better medical care. In a lot of SHTF scenarios. That better medical care wouldn’t exist. Still worth having, but their value is significantly decreased for many situations.

Last edited:
Training and practice on how to sustain yourself year round, to include the winter, is way more important than any of the fire and maneuver training. Also, depending on the definition/phase of SHTF, tourniquets are not very useful. They are amazing tools to extend survivability of severe limb injuries during the golden hour before you get to better medical care. In a lot of SHTF scenarios. That better medical care wouldn’t exist. Still worth having, but their value is significantly decreased for many situations.
20160305_160320.jpg

3D-model-rolled-towels_D.jpg

il_fullxfull.2530002496_2g4g.jpg

GC185_86-IMS-en_MY

What are we hunting? Depends on the situation, but either my 10/22, SKS, or AR.

Probably all 3.

I think that’s a little dubious. AR maintenance is pretty low and it can easily be done by the user with simple tools. Keep a few cheap and light extractors on hand and you’re good to go.

What are people going to do in the apocalypse when their AK wears out a barrel?

I dunno, ask the Taliban, they been running ChiCom AKs that the CIA gave them in the 80's for about 40 years.

As others have noted whatever commonly available local caliber is most widely used. USA would probably be 5.56/.223 or 7.62x51 / 308. AR platform preferably with a dedicated. 22 upper. Parts and ammo should be available when scrounging.

3rd world probably an AK in 7.62x39

I dunno, ask the Taliban, they been running ChiCom AKs that the CIA gave them in the 80's for about 40 years.
Do you know how many gunsmiths are along the Afghan/Pakistan border?

Also, see my comment about users not zeroing their rifles and not aiming. That’s the majority of the Taliban. Do you know how many of them got killed with their AKs?

ik ur trolling but mostly in PK, like dara adem khel and thruought khyber pakhtunkwha.... for the local private market. they make sus reproductions. they aren't repairing active military/combat use stuff usually.
Yeah, that’s the type of stuff that gets put on the internet. They’re not going to hype up mundane repairs on social media.

But really, the Taliban aren’t good examples to use for AKs being fine forever. Just because they’re being used and able to shoot bullets doesn’t mean they’re being used effectively.

Yeah, that’s the type of stuff that gets put on the internet. They’re not going to hype up mundane repairs on social media.

But really, the Taliban aren’t good examples to use for AKs being fine forever. Just because they’re being used and able to shoot bullets doesn’t mean they’re being used effectively.
Who needs sights or even a rifled barrel if they insist on this kind of technique?

main-qimg-fc9926eabd38f64af7250ffc780a20f4-c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom