• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

U.S. veteran held in Mexico prison after accidentally crossing into Mexico wi...

The marine's mother was on the Glenn Beck show and she showed them on a map how easy it was to end up in Mexico by turning one block too far. She also mentioned the lack of signage due to construction. An honest mistake anyone of us could have made. His only mistake was in believing that the Mexicans would understand his mistake and let him turn around. Unfortunately for him we have a military hating douchebag administration in charge and they won't do a thing for him. All Obama has to do is to tell the Mexicans to release him immediately or we will start deporting the illegals back to Mexico. Also, Mexico has oil. WTF are we giving them foreign aid? Isn't caring for 30 million of their free loading citizens enough?

I read that this guy has ptsd and has been loosing his bearings, that could be a major factor.

Canada used to have a policy that persons who declared guns at the border and did not have the proper paperwork could return to the US. A few (10+) years ago, this policy was changes and such guns are now "forfeited to the crown" - I'm not sure about the criminal prosecution. If you want to see a confused Customs Canada officer, try showing up with a few 1911's in your trunk and actually having the paperwork to bring them in to the country.

Foreign nations do not like the appearance that the big boys on the block are pushing them around. The worst thing the US could do is openly challenge Mexico and turn this into a "we're going to show you who is boss". What works is backroom diplomacy to make a deal that will allow Mexico to save face, look like the good guys, and not look like they are succumbing to pressure.

Unfortunately, I doubt that is happening.

at the risk of sounding like an a-hole: the guy being a vet has nothing to do with the story.

No, you don't sound like an a-hole at all. I always get pissed when they make the fact that someone is a vet, cop, or whatever as part of the headline like that means crap when you commit a crime - especially in a foreign country. They should be helping the guy just because he was an American citizen who presumably wasn't on a criminal pursuit, but made a stupid mistake. The fact that he was ex-mil (or ex anything) is irrelevant. With that said, I would not travel anywhere near that border WITHOUT being armed!

The guy was an idiot that didn't know where he was going(supposedly) and ended up in a 3rd world country and is now subject to its laws.

I tend to agree. You break their rules you pay their price. Before anybody says "but what about their citizens breaking our laws? That that argument up with our judicial system, their's seems to be doing it better than we do as far as illegal border crossing.

How does one accidentally cross into Mexico from the US?

Impossible. The US highways leading into Mexico are clearly marked with warning signs, including State 77 in Texas. Get about 60 miles or so south of Corpus Christi and you will begin to see these signs. Do not bring firearms or ammunition into Mexico. Penalty is imprisonment. Large black letters, impossible to miss! As you approach the border between Brownsville, TX and Matamoros, Mexico, the signs are at more frequent intervals along the road. There is no excuse. This guy is a moron and is going to have an extended inside view of the dangerous and corrupt Mexican prison system! US State Department weenies will not be showing much support for him!

Judge orders him free:

Mexican judge orders jailed Marine Andrew Tahmooressi freed, family spokesman says
Published October 31, 2014FoxNews.com
Facebook0 Twitter0 livefyre184 Email Print
A Mexican judge has ordered the immediate release of jailed US Marine Andrew Tahmooressi, a family spokesman told The Associated Press.

Tahmooressi, 26, who served two tours of duty in Afghanistan, has been held since March 31, when he said he mistakenly crossed into Mexico with three legally-purchased and registered guns in his truck.

A court-appointed psychiatrist confirmed that Tahmooress has Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

It's a funny contrast with the Fast & Furious operation, where they sent guys with 2,000 rifles, and a couple of thousand hand grenades, and didn't have the Mexican government say boo.

Infuriating that he was even there a day. And what did our POTUS and admin do? Absolutely nothing. Kudos to some of the senators, congressmen, Montel Williams the talk show host, etc. for working hard to get him freed. Sickening that a former daytime talk show host montel williams gave a damn more than the state department or POTUS. If he were a thug of the right race to use as a political weapon, obama would have cared.

For this case and soooooo many more, when obama drops dead, I'll raise a glass in toast to a better world without that POS. I'm thrill he's out but it should have never been like this.

Infuriating that he was even there a day. And what did our POTUS and admin do? Absolutely nothing. Kudos to some of the senators, congressmen, Montel Williams the talk show host, etc. for working hard to get him freed. Sickening that a former daytime talk show host montel williams gave a damn more than the state department or POTUS. If he were a thug of the right race to use as a political weapon, obama would have cared.

For this case and soooooo many more, when obama drops dead, I'll raise a glass in toast to a better world without that POS. I'm thrill he's out but it should have never been like this.
Amen

The fact that the guy is a veteran has nothing to do with anything..
Right...was that suppose to carry some weight in mexico? Think about it, this country, the U.S., has been at war somewhere my entire life, with the exception of maybe 7 years. We have tons of veterans.

The Prez coordinated this perfectly right before the elections and if you believe otherwise please see the bridge I have for sale on Craigslist

Sent from the blind

Great news!

But with regard to the below quoted text - a news crew drove the same path shortly after his arrest. There were no signs on the road except a small one that was almost impossible to see at night right at the last turn around. All of the large signs were taken down for maintenance or replacement and there was no indication you would be entering Mexico until you were already there.

Impossible. The US highways leading into Mexico are clearly marked with warning signs, including State 77 in Texas. Get about 60 miles or so south of Corpus Christi and you will begin to see these signs. Do not bring firearms or ammunition into Mexico. Penalty is imprisonment. Large black letters, impossible to miss! As you approach the border between Brownsville, TX and Matamoros, Mexico, the signs are at more frequent intervals along the road. There is no excuse. This guy is a moron and is going to have an extended inside view of the dangerous and corrupt Mexican prison system! US State Department weenies will not be showing much support for him!

The guy probably has a few issues. But he really was trying to turn around at the border. He was probably confused, a little scared, maybe wigged out, and did not turn around in time. Mistakenly thought the Mexicans were our buddies.

So mexico held him, despite this mental issues, to make a point. Free advertising to any other gringos that might want to sneak in a handgun.

Did it suck for him? yeah. Did they shoot him, instead of making him stew then deporting him? no.

So, life goes on. You want to visit some 3rd world hell hole where gangs run the government? You have to put up with their quaint wackiness.

The point here is, if you are approaching the border crossing, and you suddenly remember something, put it in reverse and slowly creep back away from the border. once you cross that line, you can be seriously f*cked over without a prayer of help from the white house or state department.

Back
Top Bottom