• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

U.S. veteran held in Mexico prison after accidentally crossing into Mexico wi...

Don't if this is a dupe. This morning I was reading about a U.S veteran who was looking to buy a sandwich and crossed into Mexico by accident. He tried to turn back, but it was too late, and the Mexicans refused to allow him back into the U.S. I guess he had a few firearms with him, all licensed. Doesn't matter, the Mexicans are holding him on weapons charges. Pretty messed up they would do this to him. Maybe Kerry can do something for once, and try to get him out.

From CNN:

For more than a month, a U.S. Marine and Afghanistan war veteran has been held in a Tijuana, Mexico, prison, fighting for his release after being charged with a crime he says he did not commit.

"I accidentally drove into Mexico with 3 guns ... a rifle (AR-15), a .45 cal pistol and a 12 gauge pump shotgun with no intensions (sic) on being in Mexico or being involved in any criminal activities," Tahmooressi wrote in a statement of innocence to U.S. Rep. Duncan Hunter. "I have rights to all 3 weapons. They are under my name ... Please help me."
Hunter, a California Republican, is among several lawmakers who have recently begun petitioning for Tahmooressi's release. Last week, Hunter wrote a letter to Secretary of State John Kerry, urging him to get involved.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/08/justi...x.html?sr=fb050914mexicoprison1030aVODtopLink

Last edited:
Willing to bet Kerry won't do jack squat.

Honestly I've never been down there isn't it kinda hard to accidentally go into mexico? I'd assume there would be signs and a border patrol checkpoint?

How does one accidentally cross into Mexico from the US?

Here is more detail about the story. Here is from a newspaper from San Diego.

“I was going to call them after I drove off the exit, but I never got off the exit, I blew right past it,” he said. “I wasn’t paying attention, thinking I had way farther to go. I ended up in Mexico with no way to turn around.”

At Tijuana’s El Chaparral Port of Entry, he tried to stop at the automatic crossing gates, but was waved through, and then guided to an inspection area. “They say, ‘What have you got back there?' I said, ‘A whole lot of stuff and three guns.’ I said, ‘I didn’t even mean to be in Mexico.’”

We know he wasn't smuggling guns into Mexico because that's the ATF's job.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014...w-tahmooressi-mexico-weapons/2/?#article-copy

Why is the fact that he's a veteran in the headlines?

I'm finding the accidental border crossing kind of odd - but it may be easier to explain than "I'm a dummy who forgot they were in the trunk"

If this where the other way around people would be calling for his head. How do you accidently go out for a sandwich and happen to wind up in another country? Maybe he was meeting someone to buy "something". But that is just speculation.

If this where the other way around people would be calling for his head. How do you accidently go out for a sandwich and happen to wind up in another country? Maybe he was meeting someone to buy "something". But that is just speculation.

You miss the last US exit on a highway and instead of attempting to drive over the median (if possible) or just park the car on the shoulder and wait for some US police agency to stop, you go with the flow of traffic thinking that you will explain the mistake and be allowed to do a yooey.

This is apparently quite possible on some of the highways between TX and MX.

Guilty are obviously guilty.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Had it been that an armed Mexican citizen had "accidentally" entered into the United States, instead of prison he would have been given free assisted living, free Obamacare, free immigration attorneys, free tuition to the nearest university, food stamps, five set of voter registration cards and on top of that he would have been allowed to keep his gun.

Willing to bet Kerry won't do jack squat.

Honestly I've never been down there isn't it kinda hard to accidentally go into mexico? I'd assume there would be signs and a border patrol checkpoint?

There would be no 'Border Patrol' checkpoint there, we operate between Ports of Entry.

Yes, there are signs EVERYWHERE at POE's stating guns r bad in mexico. In English, Spanish, big signs with a pisol with a red circle/slash, telling you to not bring weapons into mexico. We have the occasional accidental entry by Customs and BP into mexico. It's a damn nightmare even when 'official' representatives of the government screw up.

Can't speak for the rest of the border, but in the El Paso area its pretty obvious when you are coming up to the border. I took a few wrong exits and always had plenty of time to turn around. Ya the BP looks at you like your an idiot but directs you where to go to pull a youie.

Hopefully something will get done, but knowing our government we are better off going in and taking him

To be honest, crossing the border isn't very easy to do accidentally on a major road like that. I don't think he should be punished, but it still is a dumb as hell thing to do.

Similar incident w canada border US vet had wifes .380 in the trunk and didnt know.
i never heard what happened w his case.
if these guys were politicians buddies they would be rescued.
our state dept cant boil a ****ing egg

Bring lawyers, guns and money...

yeah well if I remember correctly Ole Zevon was in Havana, not Mexico, in which case he could've just called me and I would've set everything straight [smile]. Hell I'd of even set him up with a couple of cee-gars and some nice rum.

Now I'm hiding in Honduras
I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns and money
The shit has hit the fan

On the other hand if you've got to hide in Honduras, I think you're SOL, JACK!

[rofl]

To be honest, crossing the border isn't very easy to do accidentally on a major road like that. I don't think he should be punished, but it still is a dumb as hell thing to do.
Some friends were driving a motor home in Detroit (unfamiliar roads, obviously), and got stuck in the wrong lane with no way to turn around before Windsor.

The Canadians let them turn around on their side without going through inspection, then the U.S. CBP put them through total hell.

Some friends were driving a motor home in Detroit (unfamiliar roads, obviously), and got stuck in the wrong lane with no way to turn around before Windsor.

The Canadians let them turn around on their side without going through inspection, then the U.S. CBP put them through total hell.

On the way to Canada, my girlfriend's stupid friend forgot to get gas and it was too far away on the Canadian side, so we had to go through, turn around and come back through. The US side is insane vs. the Canadian side, but on the way back through Canada the guy got mad at me for not looking at him. Because I was falling asleep. What a dick.

On the way to Canada, my girlfriend's stupid friend forgot to get gas and it was too far away on the Canadian side, so we had to go through, turn around and come back through. The US side is insane vs. the Canadian side, but on the way back through Canada the guy got mad at me for not looking at him. Because I was falling asleep. What a dick.

I would say half of the time over the boarder, they give me a hard time. the other half, they just wave me thru.

I think it depends on how much on-the-rag the inpector is. Like if you have a tinted back side window, and forget to roll it down, they get pissed off. Shit like that.

Trying to take a gun across the border is just plane stupid. You KNOW you have a high chance of being hassled. Back up on the highway...don't go over the border. You might think they will be understanding. And then again there is the Mexican ass pounding prison...

This guy was a US vet?? He should have had first hand experience with foreign customs officials. Not much excuse

Sorry that the guy was arrested but I have been across the Mexican boarder a couple times...at every crossing there are huge signs warning about bring guns into Mexico. The guy is not new to the area, has been around the areas so he knows where Mexico is. I am sure he has heard from his friends about how serious border crossing are taken by both sides. I am sure he has crossed that boarder crossing.

In any case NO country looks the other way when someone brings gun through the border. If a Mexican was found bring guns in to the USA or a Canadian was bring guns in to the USA we sure has heck would not say...oh your excused it was an honest mistake! They would be arrested for committing a crime which is the case here.

Heck in the USA a someone can be arrested and charge with a crime if they are found to have in their position some banned weapon or magazine while driving through the banning state. So how is this different?

He broke a Mexican law and committed a crime. It is up to the Mexican court system to decide what punishment he should get. Maybe he just made a stupid mistake but he committed a crime on Mexican soil and be will have to pay for that mistake.

Last edited:
I've been following this story on Fox news.
Some reporters went to substantiate his claim that he got confused by the poor traffic signage and unfamiliar road layout, then unintentionally ended up at the border, where they wouldn't let him turn around.
Right after the story broke, these reporters retraced his steps and indeed discovered that it was an easy mistake to make, nor was he the first to make this mistake. There was some ongoing road work in the area and some signage was changed, with some smaller and less visible temporary signs in use.
They said that if you go there NOW, you'll see some brand new and highly visible signs in place, warning you that you're about to enter Mexico and directing you how to turn around to avoid this.
Of course this doesn't do the Marine any good, but it shows that this was a real problem which got addressed too late.
Once again Obama and Kerry are showing how little they care for members of our military by doing nothing about getting him back.
In another story, I heard that the US actually gives Mexico hundreds of millions in foreign aid each year ???
WTF is that all about ???
Why do we give them money ???
So they can hand out pamphlets to their poor, with instructions on how to break our laws, showing them how to cross the border illegally into the US, and then how to apply for taxpayer funded benefits once they get here ???
This is BS.

[angry2]

You miss the last US exit on a highway and instead of attempting to drive over the median (if possible) or just park the car on the shoulder and wait for some US police agency to stop, you go with the flow of traffic thinking that you will explain the mistake and be allowed to do a yooey.

This is apparently quite possible on some of the highways between TX and MX.

Yep.

Sent from the depths of Hell with TapaTalk V2

Back
Top Bottom