• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Troy City Tactical Closed

I work 2 miles away and never stopped in. There are honestly too many shops right now in mASS. It's nice to have, but it means too few gun buyers for too many shops. Hard to make a profit.

Yahh they didn't ever really have a lot of inventory to view but they had an online store that showed their inventory at their warehouse and they had or could get just about anything you wanted. However they specialized more in transfers and classes more than in store inventory sales. Was a great shop with some good people. Took two classes there over the years and purchased a few firearms from them. People were always good and got down to point about laws and what not. Helped answer any questions you would have. Mike the owner was good people. They sponsored a lot of racing over the years at Seekonk Speedway. Sad to see Troy City Tactical go.
I hadn't been there in a few years but the few times I did visit the shop they never really had much inventory, it was a small shop. They probably just got tired of dealing with Mass-centric bullshit, sad to see another shop fold up though.

I can appreciate that. But most gun buyers aren't looking to go in, order a gun and come back 3-8 days later to pick it up. They want to fondle and be sure, then check out and move on. To quote Homer Simpson, "But I'm angry now!" LOL

Davidson's does that to people. "Oh, you can set up a storefront and just order from us." It's a bad model. To open a gun shop, it takes a S-load of $ for inventory.

I work 2 miles away and never stopped in. There are honestly too many shops right now in mASS. It's nice to have, but it means too few gun buyers for too many shops. Hard to make a profit.
I don't know if it is to many shops or every shop only being able to sell the same firearms as everybody else because of the AWB and AG regulations. Now it becomes more a price game and the FFL will not be able to make a sustainable profit unless they lower their profit margin and push volume, like the deli ticket emporium did at one time. The wholesalers divert their inventory to those that pump out volume, making it very difficult for the new shop or small shop to make any money to stay in business.
In the free states, some shops can actually specialize and make a niche for themselves along with selling anything and everything, regardless of volume.

True. But that's the same deal anywhere. Assume we were in Missouri. Is it really that different? Sure, you can buy more TYPES of guns there. But it's the same as any other gun shop. It's all about competition. Too much = lower profits for everyone.

And if you were a wholesaler or manf - would you treat everyone equally or give pricing breaks to the guy that sells as many of your guns as 20 of the average dealer???? Of course they're gonna get a better price.

But big stores can only be so close together. Again, it's about competition. You can't have 6 Larry McGill Glockstore's in the Boston area. It'd never fly.

Small dealer, big dealer, there are just too many dealers right now. I enjoy that supply is ample for us as consumers, but it has to be tough for the store owners.

Capitalism is both good and bad. So, in the end, you end up with Home Cheapo and bLowes type service for firearms. Where the majority that works there doesn't know their ass from their elbow, except for the manager or owner! Prices eventually reach their peak as the little guy is squeezed out, (Aubuchaun, and other neighborhood shops), and the consumer gets the shaft!
I don't mind paying a little more for solid knowledge and service, but some do. I used to enjoy going to the local hardware store, but loathe it now, just like going to gunshops. To much misinformation from "experts" and the feeling of being treated like I'm trying to buy an automobile.

Really? Too many shops?

Capitalism is both good and bad. So, in the end, you end up with Home Cheapo and bLowes type service for firearms. Where the majority that works there doesn't know their ass from their elbow, except for the manager or owner! Prices eventually reach their peak as the little guy is squeezed out, (Aubuchaun, and other neighborhood shops), and the consumer gets the shaft!
I don't mind paying a little more for solid knowledge and service, but some do. I used to enjoy going to the local hardware store, but loathe it now, just like going to gunshops. To much misinformation from "experts" and the feeling of being treated like I'm trying to buy an automobile.

There is nothing stopping a consumer from finding a custom maker. . . at custom maker prices. I mean, thank goodness for industrialization of the firearms industry. Imagine if in 2023 we were still making guns in teh backs of blacksmith shops, one at a time, no interchangeable parts. I'd say the progress of the AR platform has had massive advantages to consumers with very few disadvantages. Especially price. Prices have plummeted on AR's - especially on an inflation-adjusted basis. I think I paid $650 for my Bushy back in. . . . 99. 24 years later, you can get an equivalent AR for. . . . probably $650 or maybe less.

And gun shop misinformation? To misquote Roy D Mercer, "Howolda'boy are'ya?" I got into guns late, but damn, the "misinformation" thing has been out there for 30 years.

Really? Too many shops?

For the # of gun owners in MA? Yeah. Hence, someone is going out of business. It's a barometer of sorts. If you have too few dealers making too much $, other dealers will open. When the ratio tips, the opposite happens.

I'm thinking of all the dealers I drive by on a regular basis. The guy under Reedy's, the guy on Padelford St in. . . .Berkley, Armour Sports in Taunton.

Then there is BDO in Raynham, MTS in Rehobo, 2 or 3 in Lakeville/Middleboro area I never drive by, among many others.

20 years ago, it was Carr's in Raynham and Old Man whateverhisnamewas on 138 near Dighton. And Middleboro Gun Shop. In the place of 2 stores we have, 8? 8 might be too many. I don't see crowds in any of them too often.

There is nothing stopping a consumer from finding a custom maker. . . at custom maker prices. I mean, thank goodness for industrialization of the firearms industry. Imagine if in 2023 we were still making guns in teh backs of blacksmith shops, one at a time, no interchangeable parts. I'd say the progress of the AR platform has had massive advantages to consumers with very few disadvantages. Especially price. Prices have plummeted on AR's - especially on an inflation-adjusted basis. I think I paid $650 for my Bushy back in. . . . 99. 24 years later, you can get an equivalent AR for. . . . probably $650 or maybe less.

And gun shop misinformation? To misquote Roy D Mercer, "Howolda'boy are'ya?" I got into guns late, but damn, the "misinformation" thing has been out there for 30 years.

For the # of gun owners in MA? Yeah. Hence, someone is going out of business. It's a barometer of sorts. If you have too few dealers making too much $, other dealers will open. When the ratio tips, the opposite happens.

I'm thinking of all the dealers I drive by on a regular basis. The guy under Reedy's, the guy on Padelford St in. . . .Berkley, Armour Sports in Taunton.

Then there is BDO in Raynham, MTS in Rehobo, 2 or 3 in Lakeville/Middleboro area I never drive by, among many others.

20 years ago, it was Carr's in Raynham and Old Man whateverhisnamewas on 138 near Dighton. And Middleboro Gun Shop. In the place of 2 stores we have, 8? 8 might be too many. I don't see crowds in any of them too often.
Don't forget Bob's in Westport (Now Village Sports). And while I'm strolling down memory lane, Thompson's as well.

Back
Top Bottom