Toolbags at the range today..

oldguy68

NES Member
So I take my son to shoot a Mossberg Blaze 47 to the plinking range at the Cape Cod Fish & Game Club.

A member is there with his two friends shooting a 22lr bolt action rifle.

I go to set the rifle on the bench so we can start shooting.

He says only one firearm on the bench at a time.
I tell him that is for each shooter and NOT the entire range.
He says well, I got here first so you can't put your gun on the bench.
He says he got in trouble for it a week ago.
So I set it on the concrete barrier and ask who in gods name said that to him and is the fool here now and that there are board members a few ranges over and we'll straighten this out right now.
He wouldn't say who it was and that I had to wait till he was done.
I'm like, I'll bring this up this Tuesday at the club meeting and see that everyone knows about it.

I hate range nazi fudds and I can't wait to see if this toolbag is at this Tuesdays meeting!

The Blaze-Nikov was a blast to shoot and my son had a great time shooting it!
Said it was the most fun of all the 22lr's we own!:D

Last edited:
The FUDD is strong with this member.

My ideal range session is to transition between .22lr pistol to 9mm pistol and back. Then transition from .22lr rifle to centerfire and back in same sitting.

So I take my son to shoot a Mossberg Blaze 47 I have at the plinking range a Cape Cod Fish & Game Club.
A member is there with his two friends shooting a 22 bolt action rifle.

I go to set the rifle on the bench so we can start shooting.

He says only one firearm on the bench at a time.
I tell him that is for each shooter and NOT the entire range.
He says well, I got here first so you can't put your gun on the bench.
He says he got in trouble for it a week ago.
So I set it on the concrete barrier and ask who in gods name said that to him and is the fool here now and that there are board members a few ranges over and we'll straighten this out right now.
He wouldn't say who it was and that I had to wait till he was done.
I'm like, I'll bring this up this Tuesday at the club meeting and see that everyone knows about it.

I hate range nazi fudds and I can't wait to see if this toolbag is at this Tuesdays meeting!

The Blaze-Nikov was a blast to shoot and my son had a great time shooting it!
Said it was the most fun of all the 22lr we own!:D
The guy was saying only one gun at a time on the range? I'd have just gone about my business and ignored him......and also what you did......see you at the next board meeting¡!

My rifle was locked with the action open and pointed down range.
I was being nice considering he was wasting my time for something he got in trouble for.
I would love to join our board so fools like this would stop spewing crap to others about stuff he got counseled for!

I think my inner a**h*** would have prevailed and I would have asked if ( I didn't already know ) he was a club officer or a range officer, if the answer was a no I think a big F** off and quit wasting my range time would have come out of me. I know my range and it's rules and follow all safety protocols and that isn't one of them.

Last edited:
One long 25 foot bench. The rule is so that every member has only one firearm in front of them for safety reasons.
This guy thought it was only one shooter on the range at a time!
I was like well, lets go shut down the trap field, the rifle range that has multiple shooting benches and the indoor range with it's six shooting booths![rofl]

I also said a board member that is a safety instructor is shooting trap right now as we speak..

That is when he says he got here first and it was his range...:mad:

I've been "talked to" about not having more than one gun on the bench at a time(it was last summer and I had just put many rounds through a pistol and was letting it cool off before putting it back in the case). The mouth breather obviously didn't understand.

Sounds like this tool just did not want to stop shooting so you could set up.
Should have asked him for a rule book and or the sign that says these things.
I was a trap range officer at a club i belonged to and you be surprised how much the rule book pissed off the fudds

If these are your rules, so simple.
CCFG | About
left side rules.
i shot trap there a handful of times with Bob Preston
while waiting to shoot we would use the pistol range. It was not much of a range. A small cut in a hill out lined with timbers and a picnic table.

This is, as a rule, why I hate ranges, especially the one that the club I belong to owns because usually there are no more than 1 or 2 folks at the range and no RO, and invariably, one shooter is a FUDD. They seem to enjoy screwing up someone else's fun. I am seriously considering looking around for a new club to join because of this.

One I have been looking at is Pemi F&G. If anyone here is a member and wouldn't mind a tag-a-long to check it out some weekend, let me know. It's an hour's drive for me but it seems to be a pretty good club/range for the price.

Last edited:
So a guy is making up stupid rules that are incorrect and your going along with it? ... but he's the douche? lol

I've run across this many times at ranges. A simple go f*** yourself then start shooting anyway usually remedies it one way or another.

That's why I use my indoor range for as much as I can, and wait until 10pm to go over there. Peace and quiet, no idiots. 1 mile from home too. Always use the buddy system.
Too many times I've been in there with unsafe idiots.

This is, as a rule, why I hate ranges, especially the one that the club I belong to owns because usually there are no more than 1 or 2 folks at the range and no RO, and invariably, one shooter is a FUDD. They seem to enjoy screwing up someone else's fun. I am seriously considering looking around for a new club to join because of this.

One I have been looking at is Pemi F&G. If anyone here is a member and wouldn't mind a tag-a-long to check it out some weekend, let me know. It's an hour's drive for me but it seems to be a pretty good club/range for the price.
See if you can become a RSO and try to keep a rule book handy.

I simply reminded a shooter at one club that pistols where not allowed on the rifle range.
I got the "thats no rule and its stupid if so"
I simple showed him the sign. He huffed " f*** that " continues about his business and then the chief RSO pops out of no where. "Ya know that there young fella is right, up to the pistol range or go home." The guy tried to argue the rule.
RSO said " I cant agree more its stupid but hey take it up with the board" the offender was not at the next meeting.

I found the best way to deal with range know it alls is to either get a name or plate number. If no one has a written rule handy simply say to them , we will take it up at the next board/club meeting. As long its not clearly a safety issue continue abou t your business

Last edited:
Man, reading this stuff... I love my club. I don't shoot there anywhere near as often as I'd like but I've just never had anything like that happen there. I'd have laughed, texted one of the club officers and shown the guy the "BWAHAHAHAHA" response.

Maybe he had his guns all loaded with the safety off on the bench and was a dick about it. Got called on it and has to be a douche just to be one.

I used to be a member of the Pemi, if you have any specific questions, I'd be glad to answer on here or via PM.

Just ask "Are you a board member or anyone else with authority to tell me what to do on this range?".

I know of a couple of guys who would have done well to ask this question before going confrontational in a conversation about range rules/procedure.

When Lady Radtekk and I shoot handguns at our club we may have as many as 5 or 6 on mats on the bench at a time. I've been known to lay 3 or 4 rifles out as well when shooting long guns. That guy would have had a stroke if he had seen me.

This situation may have been misunderstood as , " only one gun out at a time,only one gun on a bench being used at a time per position/ designated shooter spot". , and just got misunderstood as the entire range...?
Reason for this rule is, and have witnessed a big screw up do to not following this rule. A new, and very young shooter, not that it makes a difference , had a pistol box that contained about 5 pistols, well , he needed to take them all out and have them all on the bench, the problem was that he was forgetting which one he was loading and shooting, loading 2 at once , shooting a few out of one then a few out of the other, so any # of loaded guns on the bench at one time. he did not know which guns were loaded and which ones were unloaded, as he was not yet used to always opening the action if the guns is unloaded. Mix this up with a not very muzzle strait down the range, and it sure looked spooky to me. After a bit of this confusion, and he thought a closed action gun was unloaded but wanted to make sure by pulling the trigger, well the gun was loaded, and it did go off, it did go downrange, but was un intentional fire. He laughed this occurrence off. Throw in a bit of cocky swagger, and watch out. I think I will shoot alone, later, with out him around.
So maybe some people can have a few guns out at one time, but there are people who should not have #'s of guns out at one time, so a rule is made.

Last edited:
People like him need the same response that ROs/SOs who make up rules get; "Show me where it says that in the rule book please".

You don't have to be a "range lawyer", but idiocy doesn't have to be tolerated.

Back
Top Bottom