Toolbags at the range today..

This guy is not a tool bag, a tool bag is something we use carry tools which is a good thing. This guy is more of a Douchebag than anything. Please make note, thanks.

The stories I could tell of shooting at the Barnstable range would overload this server![rofl]
Lots of tomfoolery was going on when that place was open..[coffee]

I think I still have my key in my range bag.

The FUDD crowd didn't seem to be around much the few times I went. But the dudes on the shotgun range were crazy.

I think my favorite memory was when there with one other on the pistol range. He had an sw mnp9 and a 1911 he found rusted to near death on his grandfather's garage. (Nicely cleaned up and functional)

A deer staggers onto the range and he decides to go for it. Dumps mags from the 1911 and completely missed it as it runs off. Then he had the audacity to ask why I didn't shoot at it too.

I think I said something about preferring my food to not have thousands of ticks. Maybe I should have. Thing was probably not right and must have been sick for it to wander right onto the range.

Not sure I went back after that. Probably right around the time they didn't pay the insurance and closed for a year. Never got back after it reopened briefly.

I try not to mix argue with loaded weapons.

Fudds,Range Nazi's,Brass Monkey's,Operator Wannabees, and Newbies are just part of the game. They ALL can be scary around firearms. Most newbies will accept a helping hand. It sounds like your Newbie is morphing into a Range Nazi. During this cycle of life they do not think clearly and your actions were appropriate. Your plan to handle the issue at the next meeting is the best course of action.

All the clubs I've been a member at ask that if there is a problem just get the members name or at least the plate number and let the BOD handle the problem. No need to to shoot it out on the range.

All the clubs I've been a member at ask that if there is a problem just get the members name or at least the plate number and let the BOD handle the problem. No need to to shoot it out on the range.

It looks like from BELs post a few posts above states that it is their one silly rule, so the club BOD is going to shoot the OP down.

I would just ask other members, team up on range days, and try to ignore it and see if it continues to be a problem. It sounds like the place is still his best option in his locale. Best not to rock the boat. The other guy sounded like a FNG newb.

The rule is one gun out of the case and on the bench at a time per person/group, the dbag misinterpreted the rule to mean only one gun on the bench at a time no matter how many people/groups. I'm sure the board will make sure the dbag is educated once they're made aware.

It looks like from BELs post a few posts above states that it is their one silly rule, so the club BOD is going to shoot the OP down.

I would just ask other members, team up on range days, and try to ignore it and see if it continues to be a problem. It sounds like the place is still his best option in his locale. Best not to rock the boat. The other guy sounded like a FNG newb.

Speaking as a former BOD member I know that we as directors didn't ignore an issue that was brought to our attention. Never once thought he should find another club.

[rofl]

Almost as great as the time about 20 years ago at the Ames indoor range that me and a buddy were shooting 44mag. (It was cleared under the club bylaws and had they bothered to MAINTAIN the indoor range, they'd have no lead issues. But I digress.).

Anyhow, 2 Ossifers from teh club come running in when they see us. (It's a Fri morning at about 8am.) They look at me with my then-stupid-purchase Desert Eagle (.44 not Point-Five-Oh like Bullet Tooth Tony.)

"YOU CAN'T FIRE THAT IN HERE!!!!"

"It's a 44. 44 is allowed. I even checked."

They confab for a minute. "Nope, too powerful. Outside only."

Buddy with his 29. "Is this OK? It's a 44."

"Oh sure, that's fine. Just not that one."

Not some dolt on a range. A OFFICER OF THE CLUB told me this.

I get it. The average age of a club officer in a lot of clubs is 60+. 20 years ago, the 60+ guys were one-handed, one-eyed bullseye shooters and long range guys. So Ames was that club. I mean, they had (I assume still have) berms that go about 10,000 feet high. They hauled dirt in for YEARS to build them up. But club officers tend to spend time at the range more than the average guy so they are likely to be near-retired or retired. Same with a lot of organizations.

In 20 more years, your average club officer will be a run-and-gun Glockhead that'll scorn those who shoot slow. LOL

I'm not a member there but I'm good friends with several of the board members. I've been there many times for IDPA and steel. It's a nice club with good folks. If some of their rules seem overkill, consider that they are having ongoing issues with whiny-ass liberal pansy neighbors filing complaints. :/

That they do. New residential development has been going on right outside the club and complaints have been rolling in with increasing frequency. I was there a while back and a dude was doing mag dumps with his AR, someone called within an hour to complain about machine guns.

I'm not a member there but I'm good friends with several of the board members. I've been there many times for IDPA and steel. It's a nice club with good folks. If some of their rules seem overkill, consider that they are having ongoing issues with whiny-ass liberal pansy neighbors filing complaints. :/

I was there a while back and a dude was doing mag dumps with his AR, someone called within an hour to complain about machine guns.

Mag dumps are fun just for making noise but I don't do it anymore because I can't afford to waste ammo. ;)
It sucks we have to police ourselves so much regarding this type of stuff (and it's not just clubs in MA, I'm learning) but if you're a member of a club that is constantly in jeopardy of being shut down, then maybe suck it up, abide by their rules and try not to ruin it for everyone else. I don't know if CCF&G has any rules against mag dumps, but they may soon will if they don't already.
I'll be there this Sunday for IDPA.

I don't know what is so much more disturbing about rapid fire of any kind than a dozen people shooting slow fire at the same time. Something more comforting about irregularity?

I thought this was going to be a review about a new Husky or Rigid bag from Lowe’s/HD that makes a great range bag

Now I’m highly disappointed.

I don't know what is so much more disturbing about rapid fire of any kind than a dozen people shooting slow fire at the same time. Something more comforting about irregularity?
Some clubs worry (rightfully so) about muzzle climb due to neighborhoods being located behind the berms. My club limits rapid fire to 3 rounds because of this. The thought is limiting it to 3 rounds decreases the chances of rounds going high and over the berm due to muzzle climb. Last thing we need is a high round over the berm hitting a house and causing problems. Supervised events like plate shoots and 3 gun are exempt from the 3 round rapid fire rules. ROs that run those events brief all attendees that if they fire a round over the berm they will be going home.

Indoor range there is no limit on rapid fire......the backstops limit an errant round from going "over the fence" so to speak.

We don't have to have an ro for general range use and we like it that way. But....we do have a full camera system that keeps most folks honest and shooting safely.

The rules are in place to avoid mishaps and to keep the club open for the Long run.

Hold on now...there is no need to group us "brass collectors" in with this sorry lot of range weirdo's ;-)
Depends on the type of brass collector were talking about! I had words with a guy that asked if I wanted my brass and when I told him no.....he grabbed the broom and started sweeping while I was still shooting......reaching the broom between my legs and hitting my feet with it......while is was still firing. Dude........stop.....just stop. Lol

to all you folks who post "that stuff doesn't happen at my club" just hold on, it will. if you use your club once a year, yeah, i'm sure you never encountered a moron. go several times a week, you'll see plenty. the minor moron i can handle. the major moron is something else. i don't see 'em often but they're out there. unless it's a major violation or safety issue, i may not say anything.

People should just mind their own business unless they see an unsafe act. Otherwise go about your business and be be safe. I can’t understand why everyone want to police everyone else. Even so the range nazi was unaware of it and then he passed it along. And to boot he had no idea if the information was correct or not. The guy is a tool.

to all you folks who post "that stuff doesn't happen at my club" just hold on, it will. if you use your club once a year, yeah, i'm sure you never encountered a moron. go several times a week, you'll see plenty. the minor moron i can handle. the major moron is something else. i don't see 'em often but they're out there. unless it's a major violation or safety issue, i may not say anything.
This!

I've seen plenty of stupid shit. The trick is to be professional about it.

One incident that comes to mind was a guy that showed up with his daughter while my son and I were shooting. We stopped, cleared and racked our rifles so he could post his targets. He dropped two rifles (uncased) on a shooting bench facing down range and went out to set targets. Our rules state guns need to be racked to go down range. I let it go.....figured I'd mention it in passing later when he got back to the firing line. His daughter then proceeded to sit at the bench pick up a rifle shoulder it and take aim. I didn't lose my bearing.....I said....."sir.....all guns need to be racked when anyone goes down range and right now she's pointing a gun at you". He gave me the hairy eyeball and said "it's not loaded". I ratcheted it up....just a little. I said range rules state the first member here is the range safety......that's me.....please tell her to put the rifle down...... Come back and rack those rifles so we can go cold and you can go out there and post your targets. He did. Sometimes people are just so damn stupid. But how one reacts to the situation plays a huge part in how the incident will be corrected. Stay polite.....and the chances of things remaining calm are much better.

Now....if anyone on here thinks what I did was being a range Nazi.......sorry.....but not sorry. Not paying attention to the rules of what constitutes a cold range will get someone hurt. And what I called him out on was all clear in the posted range rules.

Last edited:

It's disturbing because people are so f***ing brainwashed as to be disturbed by it. [laugh]

Clem Suspenders Fudd Guy: "YEW BOI IZZZ RAPIDE FIRIN!!!!! SLOW DOWN!!!! " [rofl]

I had a friend of mine who went to a pay range in CA and they got pissed at him for shooting his pistol "too fast." despite being on target. They had a stupid rule of like one shot every 3 seconds. So he then proceeded to shoot once EXACTLY every 3 seconds like on the nose and they still got pissed about that... [rofl]

-Mike

Just ask "Are you a board member or anyone else with authority to tell me what to do on this range?".
"Everyone an RSO" at our club.

(And if they correct someone, they'd better get the rule right.
Because I have enough faith in seeing the process third-hand,
that if a complaint reaches those in charge, I expect that
both sides of the story are gonna get investigated).

This!

I've seen plenty of stupid shit. The trick is to be professional about it.

One incident that comes to mind was a guy that showed up with his daughter while my son and I were shooting. We stopped, cleared and racked our rifles so he could post his targets. He dropped two rifles (uncased) on a shooting bench facing down range and went out to set targets. Our rules state guns need to be racked to go down range. I let it go.....figured I'd mention it in passing later when he got back to the firing line. His daughter then proceeded to sit at the bench pick up a rifle shoulder it and take aim. I didn't lose my bearing.....I said....."sir.....all guns need to be racked when anyone goes down range and right now she's pointing a gun at you". He gave me the hairy eyeball and said "it's not loaded". I ratcheted it up....just a little. I said range rules state the first member here is the range safety......that's me.....please tell her to put the rifle down...... Come back and rack those rifles so we can go cold and you can go out there and post your targets. He did. Sometimes people are just so damn stupid. But how one reacts to the situation plays a huge part in how the incident will be corrected. Stay polite.....and the chances of things remaining calm are much better.

Now....if anyone on here thinks what I did was being a range Nazi.......sorry.....but not sorry. Not paying attention to the rules of what constitutes a cold range will get someone hurt. And what I called him out on was all clear in the posted range rules.

Our cold range rules are that nobody touches a firearm while the range is cold.

If you're actively shooting and then the range goes cold it stays on the bench with the action open.
You can bring cased guns to the bench, you can take cased guns from the bench.

And that way, nobody downrange gets shot with an "unloaded gun".

I've had to remind a few people, and I have no problem with doing that. I'm not walking downrange with someone uprange from me handling a firearm that may or may not be loaded unless I trust them 100%, and there are very few people that I trust that much.

BUT - you don't have to be an a**h*** about it. You can do this politely.

Our cold range rules are that nobody touches a firearm while the range is cold.

If you're actively shooting and then the range goes cold it stays on the bench with the action open.
You can bring cased guns to the bench, you can take cased guns from the bench.

And that way, nobody downrange gets shot with an "unloaded gun".

I've had to remind a few people, and I have no problem with doing that. I'm not walking downrange with someone uprange from me handling a firearm that may or may not be loaded unless I trust them 100%, and there are very few people that I trust that much.

BUT - you don't have to be an a**h*** about it. You can do this politely.
Our range states must be racked. Personally.....doesn't matter to me either way.....racked or on bench action open.....safe enough in my book as long as nobody touches em.

if you read my post.....when he went down range with a rifle on the bench I was not that overly concerned. Figured id mention it to him later in passing.....simply to point it out so he knows later on that it is technically breaking a range rule. When his daughter sat down and shouldered the rifle with him down range I had to say something. And I was polite about it.

Last edited:
many people have found themselves dead using that logic.

I used to feel the same way as MMA and not ever back down to anybody. My son was around 7 or 8 years old when I BEGGED a guy to get out of a car and pull over after he cut me off and gave me the finger, etc. He fortunately didn't get out of the car even though at that moment I would have given anything for him to get out... but my son and I to this day both joke about how stupid that was. Then, a few years later, after getting into boxing and growing a little bit older and smarter I started realizing a few things: 1) I could kick a lot of people's asses... but a lot of people could also kick my ass... and there was no way to sum that up by looking at somebody (I'd spar with guys who were training to go pro who I outweighed by 50 pounds and couldn't even touch). And 2) after I got into guns and began carrying I further didn't want to let a hot temper mess up my childish need to always be right or to teach people a lesson (and risk my license or going to jail over some idiot).

OP did the right thing. Especially in front of his son. There's no doubt in my mind that I'm a much tougher guy now than I was when I tried to call out that guy in front of my son (and knew how to brawl but certainly never thought twice about the likelihood of killing somebody with a solid bare-handed punch)... and part of being tough is being man enough to walk away from a fight that's not worth fighting or that can be resolved without emotion. I would have rather had my son witness what you taught then what I had to work hard to unteach.

Our range states must be racked. Personally.....doesn't matter to me either way.....racked or on bench action open.....safe enough in my book as long as nobody touches em.

if you read my post.....when he went down range with a rifle on the bench I was not that overly concerned. Figured id mention it to him later in passing.....simply to point it out so he knows later on that it is technically breaking a range rule. When his daughter sat down and shouldered the rifle with him down range I had to say something. And I was polite about it.

I wasn't disagreeing with you - I'm 100% in agreement with you.

Back
Top Bottom