Toolbags at the range today..

it's tough when a member has their child with them. me, I don't want to make dad/mom look silly in front of the kid(s). it's hard, you know....do I back off or should I say something. I try to get the offender alone if they're with kids if I think the offense was serious enough, a safety issue perhaps, for me to step up. but you never know how they'll react, possibly escalate the situation maybe "to save face."

most offending members are new and inexperienced, doing the fiddling with the firearm thing when someone is down range. they seem appreciative when their error is pointed out to them. the guy who usually explodes when called out, in my experience, is the old, seasoned member. they seem to react out of embarrassment when called for being a bonehead on the range. i'm not worried about being shot, lol....I don't like confrontations. I gave that shit up for lent many, many years ago. but as I said, most safety violations need addressing right then and now.

it's tough when a member has their child with them. me, I don't want to make dad/mom look silly in front of the kid(s). it's hard, you know....do I back off or should I say something. I try to get the offender alone if they're with kids if I think the offense was serious enough, a safety issue perhaps, for me to step up. but you never know how they'll react, possibly escalate the situation maybe "to save face."

most offending members are new and inexperienced, doing the fiddling with the firearm thing when someone is down range. they seem appreciative when their error is pointed out to them. the guy who usually explodes when called out, in my experience, is the old, seasoned member. they seem to react out of embarrassment when called for being a bonehead on the range. i'm not worried about being shot, lol....I don't like confrontations. I gave that shit up for lent many, many years ago. but as I said, most safety violations need addressing right then and now.

We had a charity match at our club a couple of weeks ago. It was roughly modeled on USPSA rules, but we shot pistols and rifles, and had a shotgun as an option on one stage. The RO's set up the stages and shot them first, then the "guests" shot them afterwards. At the safety brief of the RO's, it was emphasized that this was a charity match, and some of our shooters would be novices - so more coaching and mentoring would be appropriate - keep the person from breaking the rules rather than DQing them for doing so.

I had a couple of people start to load magazines at the designated safe tables. Normally that's a DQ. I simply explained to them quietly and politely the concept of the safe table, and while I was at it, the concept of under what conditions they could handle their firearm at this event - because it was obvious to me that the event rules were new to them. And the objective was to have these people have fun, safely - not to piss them off and DQ them.

The feedback we got was that a number of them are interested in coming back and participating in our USPSA and IDPA matches.

We'll work with them.

You should do anything you can do avoid a fight with someone. You never know who is an Amateur MMA fighter, goldengloves, BJJ black belt, muay thai champ, or straight up psychopath. Letting idiots walk away feeling like they won is a sign of very high intelligence. There's no shortage of morons in this world, over 30% of the population is retarded. I usually just pack up and leave.

Here's what I don't understand:

If both of you guys are at the range with .22's, why didn't you both put on vests and settle it like men?
First to cry "Uncle" wins the range...

iu

I simply explained to them quietly and politely the concept of the safe table....
yeah, i think that's the proper way to handle it. mostly it's education with the new folks and there is really no need to make a spectacle and embarrass them. i remember being new and liked it when someone took me under their wing and explained the ins and outs of range and match etiquette. sorta made me fit in better just a bit quicker.

It's disturbing because people are so f***ing brainwashed as to be disturbed by it. [laugh]

Clem Suspenders Fudd Guy: "YEW BOI IZZZ RAPIDE FIRIN!!!!! SLOW DOWN!!!! " [rofl]

I had a friend of mine who went to a pay range in CA and they got pissed at him for shooting his pistol "too fast." despite being on target. They had a stupid rule of like one shot every 3 seconds. So he then proceeded to shoot once EXACTLY every 3 seconds like on the nose and they still got pissed about that... [rofl]

-Mike

Do any of your club members actually do what Clem Suspenders instructs them to do, or is he as disrespected as I suspect?

Do any of your club members actually do what Clem Suspenders instructs them to do, or is he as disrespected as I suspect?

Never been a problem at any clubs I’ve been a member at, but I’ve been a guest at a few that had clem suspenders on staff, and the usual deal was everyone was like “f*** that guy, just watch for his truck to leave then we can be normal again...”.

You should do anything you can do avoid a fight with someone. You never know who is an Amateur MMA fighter, goldengloves, BJJ black belt, muay thai champ, or straight up psychopath. Letting idiots walk away feeling like they won is a sign of very high intelligence. There's no shortage of morons in this world, over 30% of the population is retarded. I usually just pack up and leave.

You are being too nice. Gotta be 45-50%.

Update.
Went to the board meeting tonight.
Spoke about how things transpired that morning.
They had already had a chat with the individual.
Didn't require him to show up to the meeting.
That's it.

Their club, their rules...

Last edited:
I had one moron tried to tell me that my 6 year old daughter's bolt-action Savage heavy-barreled .22 LR rifle was an unregistered NFA weapon for having a screw on barrel for a suppressor and that she would be a juvenile delinquent and that I would be a federal felon for possessing it. I gave him directions to the local hospital ER and told him that he would be transported there if he ever threatened my daughter or me again. Stranger Danger. Both of my daughters know how to scream that loud and clear!

Last edited:
We had a charity match at our club a couple of weeks ago. It was roughly modeled on USPSA rules, but we shot pistols and rifles, and had a shotgun as an option on one stage. The RO's set up the stages and shot them first, then the "guests" shot them afterwards. At the safety brief of the RO's, it was emphasized that this was a charity match, and some of our shooters would be novices - so more coaching and mentoring would be appropriate - keep the person from breaking the rules rather than DQing them for doing so.

I had a couple of people start to load magazines at the designated safe tables. Normally that's a DQ. I simply explained to them quietly and politely the concept of the safe table, and while I was at it, the concept of under what conditions they could handle their firearm at this event - because it was obvious to me that the event rules were new to them. And the objective was to have these people have fun, safely - not to piss them off and DQ them.

The feedback we got was that a number of them are interested in coming back and participating in our USPSA and IDPA matches.

We'll work with them.

Wait...so not being a dick has actually encouraged more people to take up our sport?? What alchemy is this?? You should tell me people about this, because obviously this word is not getting out.

One gun on the bench is a rule there? I'd black cross the shit out of that place and never go back. I'd get kicked out the first time... [rofl] I think I can count on one hand where I only took ONE gun to the range with me...
I don’t think I have ever brought less than 6 with me, lol!

LOL. He's the same guy that goes to a lawn party and says, "You know, if you put razor blades on that Frisbee, it'd be considered a deadly weapon."
tumblr_m9h5844aDg1qzt7d8o1_500.gif
Me, I'm hoping my parents kept the complete Jarts set
that we found at Gilbert Lake State Park in the 70's.

I had Jarts years ago. At least within the last 20. I got them off Ebay after the ban. I had a pre-ban set I got at a local store back in college as well.

I like to live dangerously. My son slept in the same recalled crib 11 yrs ago that my girls slept in 20 years ago.

I had one moron tried to tell me that my 6 year old daughter's bolt-action Savage heavy-barreled .22 LR rifle was an unregistered NFA weapon for having a screw on barrel for a suppressor and that she would be a juvenile delinquent and that I would be a federal felon for possessing it. I gave him directions to the local hospital ER and told him that he would be transported there if he ever threatened my daughter or me again. Stranger Danger. Both of my daughters know how to scream that loud and clear!
Wow! It's one thing to not know the law but it's another to be a threatening dickwad about it.

You like to live dangerously!

I approve!

The last crib recall seemed silly to me. No more sliding-gate cribs. I had one. My siblings had them. My kids all had them. Everyone had them. I've NEVER heard of this thing where the head gets stuck or something. Heck, the crib we used was my wife's aunt's crib. It was probably 2-3 recalls old. Actually, I got another for my son (8 year gap) and the one I had from the aunt got tossed b/c no one would take it because of the PREVIOUS recalls 15+ years ago.

Treat the crib like a proper piece of furniture and there are no problems. Lock it up. Cushion the sides. Don't do stupid stuff. Shockingly, about 99.999% of the recall stuff won't ever even affect you.

When seeing range idiocy when kids are around, I have taken the tact of asking the parent if they could answer a question quickly over at the bench we're using, hopefully out of kid(s) earshot, and then have a quiet word, leading with 'i didn't want to point this out on front of your kids, but.....' to let them save face.

But I sure don't like getting muzzle swept. Usually, that ends my day.

LOL it took A LOT of convincing that our daughter wasnt going to die if we used the same crib that her sister used just before this recall happened.

Did you wait for them to remove the yellow tape first, or did you just go under it?
We used to think that there was a communications breakdown
and the prior owners just left them there.

But now you make me wonder whether saner heads prevailed,
and the owners fled the Jarts en masse, in a sweaty pack...

Wow! It's one thing to not know the law but it's another to be a threatening dickwad about it.

Range Nazi threads never get old.

Back
Top Bottom