Ticks, ticks, ticks...

I sprayed my camping gear with Permethrim. First year I have tried the aerosol can instead of the pump. No matter how I sprayed it, I still ingested some. Didn't feel so hot for an hour or two afterwards. Think I will stick with the regular pump spray bottle.

I always spray outdoors as well. There was no wind either. I beleive it was because it was an aerosol spray can instead of the pump style.

Mowed my lawn Sunday with my riding mower. Pulled 4 ticks off me.
Stepped out to do some grilling, put the plate down and there was a tick on it.
A dozen off the dog so far and that's with a Seresto collar on her.
I've been finding one a day on me pretty much since the season started.

I am officially declaring war.
I have a well so I won't use chems on my yard.

I've been using this stuff the past couple of years but it needs to be re-applied after a good rain. It's pricey and getting hard to find
in stores.
51L-jHI697L.jpg

Made some tick tubes early in the season and laid those out. Probably make some more this weekend.

Putting down lime this weekend also.
http://www.ehow.com/how_7346066_use-lime-kill-ticks.html

Topping that off with diatomaceous earth.
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/use-diatomaceous-earth-lawns-74517.html

Lastly, a home made spray of essential oils
http://www.geeksofgardens.com/how_8580273_diy-lawn-spray-ticks.html

If that doesn't do it........
flamethrower004.jpg

Not doing too bad here lately, in WMass. Only occasionally find one on the dogs, after being swarmed by them last month. The dogs run twice daily in the woods. The black flies are currently my worst enemy. Currently using Advantage for the dogs.

Last edited:
Pulled this mofo off my leg this morning! Went shooting Sunday in a "woodsy" environment, but Monday and Tuesday was city life. Am I gonna die?!
IMAG3706.jpg

Pulled this mofo off my leg this morning! Went shooting Sunday in a "woodsy" environment, but Monday and Tuesday was city life. Am I gonna die?!
View attachment 168086

Was it buried in you or just clinging? If it got a piece of you, it won't hurt to get it checked out. I think they can check the tick to see if it has lyme.

View attachment 168086

The general consensus is that it takes the tick being attached to you for 24 hours to infect you. If it was attached I would go see my doctor. The bullseye rash isn't a reliable indicator of Lyme as it only occurs in 90% of the cases.

Bob

ETA:

Plus ticks carry much more than just Lyme disease.

Go see the doctor if it bite you at all... They should at least give you a doxy pill in case. Helps nuke anything the little ****er may have had.

Pulled 4 off me Sunday while doing some scouting got,lazy and didn't spray my pants before I went out hadn't seen any all year.

Seeing all sorts of ticks the past week.....ugh.....
Peak activity months: April/May and September/October. We fog our property perimeter twice a year. Just had it done last week as a matter of fact. Not seen a damn tick in our little bubble in 4 years since taking this approach.

Tick Management Handbook

- - - Updated - - -

Pulled 4 off me Sunday while doing some scouting got,lazy and didn't spray my pants before I went out hadn't seen any all year.
The don't do well when moisture is low. This summer was really hard on them. With the rains and cooler weather, you are bound to see a resurgence of them.

Peak activity months: April/May and September/October. We fog our property perimeter twice a year. Just had it done last week as a matter of fact. Not seen a damn tick in our little bubble in 4 years since taking this approach.

Tick Management Handbook

- - - Updated - - -

The don't do well when moisture is low. This summer was really hard on them. With the rains and cooler weather, you are bound to see a resurgence of them.

Unfortunately, I have a large organic butterfly/hummingbird garden - so I don't spray anything :(

My dog had a crazy adverse reaction to the Lyme vaccine (so he's doesn't get it) and tested positive this year :(

On my vet's advice I switched to nexguard (from frontline). Guess we'll see.....

My fence, my dog:

Pulled 47 off my two dogs tonight after an hour of hunting. Trusting nexgard to take of whatever we missed. Going to try Green Mountain tick repellent on a recommendation. Hopefully it will prevent them from hopping on in the first place.

Had 8 on me tuesday after 2 hours in the woods. 2 today. They are out in force

Pulled a dozen or so of a dog yesterday and a couple off my pants when I got home. I did a thorough investigation of myself and found no unauthorized hitchhikers, so the permethrin is working.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Pulled a dozen or so of a dog yesterday and a couple off my pants when I got home. I did a thorough investigation of myself and found no unauthorized hitchhikers, so the permethrin is working.

I usually wear permethrine but my field gear is too mych for the warm days right now.

Dogs picked up a few ticks during Monday's bird hunt. The tick treatment worked, and the ticks died. I sprayed some DEET on my boots/pants/waist area before heading into the fields, and found no ticks on me afterwards. I've got some Permethrin I haven't used, but will be using it to treat my deer hunting clothing.

dog and I picked up some ticks on sat in S-hampton but none in knightville weds (I also picked up some permethrin that I put on my clothes and the dogs field vest so may be that helped)

I still have yet to see one since June. I assumed the dry weather knocked the population down. I normally put permethrin on all my hunting clothes but haven't even bothered yet this year. Thankfully I am very allergic to them, as soon as they even begin to dig in it itches like hell so I always catch them before they dig in.

I dunno if I'm having a reaction to permethrin or bites of something, but I can't stop itching my goddamned arms. Anyone ever have a similar reaction to topical permethrin exposure? I treated my shirt a day or so before my last hunt which was Wednesday. The itching started yesterday

I dunno if I'm having a reaction to permethrin or bites of something, but I can't stop itching my goddamned arms. Anyone ever have a similar reaction to topical permethrin exposure? I treated my shirt a day or so before my last hunt which was Wednesday. The itching started yesterday

I only ever put it on my outer later so I don't get much skin contact so I don't know. I have never had itching issues with it in the past though.

I still have yet to see one since June. I assumed the dry weather knocked the population down.

Same here. But I went to the range today and found my first deer tick ever. Holy crap are they small.

Tick season started early this year:

Experts warn of potential 'tick apocalypse' as spring approaches

MILTON, Mass. - Tick experts are warning parents, outdoor enthusiasts and pet owners about what could be a “tick apocalypse” this spring.

A mosquito and tick control expert told FOX25 he’s never had as many calls for insects in people’s yards as he did this winter.

“We normally wouldn't start until mid-April,” Stephen Novick said. “To have things coming six, eight weeks earlier than that is definitely out of the ordinary.”

Novick attributes the early emergence to the warm winter. He said ticks don't normally die off in the winter, they just hibernate.

When the temperatures climb, they come out of hibernation looking for a host to latch on to say they can lay their eggs.

http://www.fox25boston.com/news/exp...ick-apocalypse-as-spring-approaches/500954258

Back
Top Bottom