Ticks, ticks, ticks...

The dog has had 1 or 2 just about every day the last 2 weeks.

The people in the house have had one just about every other day.

Does it really last as long as they say, 6 weeks I think I read, or through 6 washings.
If that is the case, doesn't it get on tshirts and underwear? I thought you were not supposed to have it touch your skin.

Might give the dog a bath, and then put some of that Advantage on her. Not sure which is worse, the ticks or the medicine.

The dog has had 1 or 2 just about every day the last 2 weeks.

The people in the house have had one just about every other day.

If that is the case, doesn't it get on tshirts and underwear? I thought you were not supposed to have it touch your skin.
I think it's just when it's first applied that it cant' touch the skin, after it has dried it's ok. At least I hope that is the case, I'm not wearing long johns under my jeans in the summer LOL

There are just not enough possum and turkeys to eat them all and otherwise they just don't die. The population just goes unchecked. Having two field dogs there are have instances where I have taken close to 100 ticks off each dog. We don't go back to those fields. Also we are now seeing ticks in fields we had not seen them in before

going to have to try this stuff. Does it really last as long as they say, 6 weeks I think I read, or through 6 washings. Seems like a long time.

I buy 36.6% mix a gallon at a time for .8% solution and generally treat every 4-5 weeks regardless of washings. I give my outer garments a good soaking spray of the permethrin and let them dry good. Once they are dry I run them through a wash cycle to remove any excess before wearing them And I blouse my pants before I go in the woods.

I couldn’t tell you the last time I had stick bite. At least a decade I do see them occasionally on my pants leg but they do the funky chicken and jump off somewhere to die.

Permethrin is an arachnicide so it kills them, not just repels them. I understand that in liquid form it can be harmful for cats and fish so be aware of that. I won’t go in the woods without it.

ETA:

It is a lot more than just Lyme disease these days. It is now common to get other “confections“ from ticks.

IMG_2329.jpeg

we have free range chickens, hardly ever see a tick on the dogs. We also have guinea hens around most of the time too.

I buy 36.6% mix a gallon at a time for .8% solution and generally treat every 4-5 weeks regardless of washings. I give my outer garments a good soaking spray of the permethrin and let them dry good. Once they are dry I run them through a wash cycle to remove any excess before wearing them And I blouse my pants before I go in the woods.

I couldn’t tell you the last time I had stick bite. At least a decade I do see them occasionally on my pants leg but they do the funky chicken and jump off somewhere to die.

Permethrin is an arachnicide so it kills them, not just repels them. I understand that in liquid form it can be harmful for cats and fish so be aware of that. I won’t go in the woods without it.

ETA:

It is a lot more than just Lyme disease these days. It is now common to get other “confections“ from ticks.

View attachment 752002
A couple years back, the old man's deer season came to an abrupt and premature close due to a nasty case of anaplasmosis.

A couple years back, the old man's deer season came to an abrupt and premature close due to a nasty case of anaplasmosis.

Nasty buggers for sure. I hope that he had a swift and full recover. Half the battle is getting diagnosed correctly, in a timely manner, and getting on the right antibiotic.s.

I have enough problems I don’t need anymore. I used to hunt Naugy when they first opened it to archery. It got decimated the following year when they opened it to lottery shotgun

going to have to try this stuff. Does it really last as long as they say, 6 weeks I think I read, or through 6 washings. Seems like a long time.
I've never gone 6 washings, but I've gone at least 4 washings. I'm only up in Coös County weekends and I'm not out in the woods every weekend. When I'm going deep woods, in addition to the Permethrin, I reverse duct tape the top of my boots to my pantleg. I spray my Boots, Pants, Shirt, Jacket & Hat. Haven't had a tick yet. The Winter Ticks seem to be worse between March and June, the later in to the summer, I don't even spray. My first year in Coös I found 13 Ticks on my in one weekend. People kept telling me DEET didn't do shit, and to use Permethrin. I listened.

Our dog had 5 on her today and I woke up with one on my back. It hadn't bit me yet. I have this uncanny ability to feel them even when they are just sitting there. I woke up reach around my back and felt it in the dark and knew exactly what it was. got up and ended it's reign of terror.

ended it's reign of terror
FYI:
I used to burn them on the concrete steps with one of those extended lighters. Now, I drop them in the toilet, and put a drop of liquid soap on them. They sink right to the bottom. Send 'em away the next time it gets flushed.

ETA:

View attachment 752002
They left one off this list. Alpha-gal Syndrome makes you allergic to red meat.

What does it fog?

Ticks are arachnids, not insects. Different treatments for different pests.
I've got some stuff in the shed that I got with the fogger.. not sure what it is exactly. I'll have to check the label.. I also know I have some permethrin. I guess you can't use that in a thermal fogger as the heat breaks it down.. I'd have to put that in a pump sprayer

I'm surrounded by forests and beaver ponds and mountain laurel, so ticks are abundant. Fortunately, there have been two opossums in the yard every night and one Tom turkey who hangs around the yard everyday. We still have plenty of ticks, but I'm guessing there would be a lot more if it weren't for the critters.

What does it fog?

Ticks are arachnids, not insects. Different treatments for different pests.
went out to shed to check.. the fogger liquid contains resmethrin, which is similar to permethrin.. so should be effective on ticks.

I'll go out tomorrow morning to fog, while the air is stable and the fog will stay close to the ground.

I think it's just when it's first applied that it cant' touch the skin, after it has dried it's ok. At least I hope that is the case, I'm not wearing long johns under my jeans in the sum
I think it's just when it's first applied that it cant' touch the skin, after it has dried it's ok. At least I hope that is the case, I'm not wearing long johns under my jeans in the summer LOL
Thermals in the summer?
Grab a pair of your wife's pantyhose
Consider them summer thermals
If mean Joe Green can wear them during games why not

1684676654701.png

Back
Top Bottom