• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ticks 2014

It's been good this summer. Nowhere near the number usually encountered. I'm out regularly in woods & it's not unusual to return after an hour w/o any ticks. But still, you want to ALWAYS check thoroughly.

I was just thinking about those last night, as I've been spending quite a bit of time outdoors, clearing some shooting lanes. No ticks. None on the pups, either. The number of flying, biting insects is another story. They're out in force right now.

Anyone been finding any ticks lately?

I was finding some crawling up my pants in the spring, but haven't seen one all summer while going around the archery course at my club. I'm actually kind of perplexed, unless the permethrin and deet have really been working that well. Hope that continues through hunting season...

I have been shocked at how few I have seen this summer. Yes I have pulled them off me but not in the volume I have expected or seen previously. We have been camping 7 times this summer all over New England. Southern and Northern NH, VT, Western MA, coastal Maine etc. I am in the woods 3-5 times a week scouting for deer and moving trail cameras around. Basically I am in tick habitat a ton and have seen a few, pulled 2 off me just starting to dig in and a couple of others crawling around on skin but overall I am seeing very few compared to previous years *knock on wood*. I use nothing to prevent them this time of year but come hunting season all my clothes are treated with Permethrin.

I agree tick count is way down... I've been out every weekend cutting lanes, scouting ,etc. Haven't seen a tick on me since spring. I do wear Permethrin but usually I'll still check myself now and then and see one. But not since spring.... I'm not complaining. Tons of mosquitoes though. Deer flies too. Swamps are loaded...

I agree tick count is way down... I've been out every weekend cutting lanes, scouting ,etc. Haven't seen a tick on me since spring. I do wear Permethrin but usually I'll still check myself now and then and see one. But not since spring.... I'm not complaining. Tons of mosquitoes though. Deer flies too. Swamps are loaded...

Tick count in Maine is up this year. Winter did nothing to them. 45 minute hike out to a few of my stands I had 8 ticks on me. Skeeters are horrible but then agaib I wear a bug screen most times so they dont get at me

Sent from the blind

So far, so good, here. I've gotten kind of careless with the DEET and pemethren since I haven't seen one in months (no outdoor pets in the house though).

Made it to 9/4 then found a deer tick on me. The tick tested positive for Lyme and Anaplasma. Just got back from the Lyme doc. 3 months ABX for me. :(

I was barely in the yard. I picked up a chicken to put her away for the night and it must have been on her. Other than that I hadn't seen one since spring.

Got a tick bite and found it yesterday. No idea how. It might even have come in with one of the dogs. It's a nice shade of red. Doc has put me on Doxycycline while the tests are run. It's worse now than in the summer. Doc told me they had a patient with 5 bulls eyes on her.

I found 2 on me yesterday after raking leaves. The Doc said if you find them within 24 hrs you should be OK but gave me a dose of Doxycycline as a precaution.

Wear permethrin folks.

Yup, works great, I hardly ever get ticks hunting because of it. Pulled a camera card at lunch today in my work clothes. Pulled 4 off me after and just now pulled one off my groin that was starting to dig in. Needed the tweezers, it wasn't just strolling around. **** I hate these things!!!

Been finding 2-3 a day on me somewhere during the last week. Only had 1 attach to my stomach but was easy to get off. Be safe, get checked for ticks

Wear permethrin folks.

Yup, works great, I hardly ever get ticks hunting because of it. Pulled a camera card at lunch today in my work clothes. Pulled 4 off me after and just now pulled one off my groin that was starting to dig in. Needed the tweezers, it wasn't just strolling around. **** I hate these things!!!

I just re-treated all my hunting cloths and camo. I hate those things and if they get on you while wearing permethrin they die. I see that as reason alone to wear it. That - and the cost of a bottle of it is far less than missed work, damage, meds, etc. from the diseases they carry. F- those things.

But seriously - permethrin works. Use it.

I'm afraid to use this stuff because I have a well. Anyone else feel this way? Am I being paranoid?
Is it a shallow well? If it is a deep well, I wouldn't be concerned, I am much more paranoid about ticks than about human exposure to pyrethroids!

Pyrethroid insecticides in the same family as the Lambda-cyhalothrin in the Cutter and other yard sprays degrade quickly, is minimally water-soluble, and tends to bind with soil, so unless your wellhead is breached, is unlikely to make it into well water, and does not bio-accumulate.

Another use of these insecticides is in treating host animals -- deer and mice. For example, by putting out "tick tubes" with dilute insecticides to kill the ticks that feed on the mice that carry Lyme.

Just a FYI... Ticks are still out there.

Found a kittle bugger on me last night before bed. He was latched on pretty good and left a mark..

Hit urgent care this morning and got my 200mg Dox.

Worst part art is I haven't been in the woods all week... Must have picked him up in the backyard yesterday while playing with kiddos.

I've been continually removing deer ticks from the dogs. It seems the treatments aren't very effective, and the number of ticks seems to only be increasing.

I basically live in the wood and lots of animals around, up until this last week I was thinking I only had one tick bite all summer but three in the last week while raking and splitting wood I've had three. I've taking dox and things seem the be healing up ok.

Do you use permethrin on your hunting cloths during deer season.. I know it says odor free but I am skeptical they will be able to smell it

Permethrin is made from chrysanthemum Flowers. So, no sweat.

clipbambismellflower.gif

Do you use permethrin on your hunting cloths during deer season.. I know it says odor free but I am skeptical they will be able to smell it

It dries odorless to my nose but I run my clothes through a scent free wash afterwards anyway.

If they get your scent stream you are busted anyway. A deer's nose is better than a dogs nose as it has more surface area in addition they have a vomeronasal organ. IMO you can't beat a deer's nose.

You need to know where your scent stream is going. Get some milkweed pods this fall and use the fluff. I guarantee you will be surprised.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom