Ticks, ticks, ticks...

I've recently gotten a chance to use this removal tool on the dog, and it works mint. Even on those tiny bastards that haven't yet fully engorged themselves.

Oh, and yes. The ticks have reemerged in force.

tickremoval.jpg

Just pulled this little bastard off a place that was next to impossible to reach. Thanks to the "Tick Twister" and reverse camera on the iphone.. Doctors are saying new guidance now after pulling the tick within 72 hours. They called in Doxycycline, 200 mg once and that's it. I thought 10 days was the norm. Any thoughts?? I have a friend and family member that were basically crippled from lyme disease. I'd rather not take a chance.

tick.png

For lawns this stuff is highly rated. Apply every 3 months.

Roundup for Lawns Bug Destroyer - Kills Ants, Spiders, Fleas, Grubs, Ticks for up to 3 Months, Use on Residential Lawns, Home Perimeters, Ornamental & Flower Gardens, Treats up to 2,500 sq ft, 10 lb.
Amazon product ASIN B0784QKNJ9View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0784QKNJ9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_K3GQA0H33VS8RP0MKX6K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I've read in several places that Roundup is carcinegenic (sp) - please think twice about using it if you have pets or small kids who hang out on the lawn.

Last edited:
Just pulled this little bastard off a place that was next to impossible to reach. Thanks to the "Tick Twister" and reverse camera on the iphone.. Doctors are saying new guidance now after pulling the tick within 72 hours. They called in Doxycycline, 200 mg once and that's it. I thought 10 days was the norm. Any thoughts?? I have a friend and family member that were basically crippled from lyme disease. I'd rather not take a chance.

View attachment 751494
I’ve heard 30 days is ideal. Edited to add that my gf got bit last summer and ended up with some issues from Lyme, I joined a bunch of Lyme groups online to try and help her and most people there said 4 weeks minimum. She did end up finding a doctor to give her 6 weeks of it and it fixed her problems. Also if you have the tick you can have it tested just in case.

Last edited:

View attachment 751494
Talked to my doctor yesterday after I pull a few ticks off me, one which did bite. She said if the tick has been attached less than 48 hours that it can't transmit disease. Also that if you don't catch it in the first 72 hours that antibiotics won't help. But I've read that at least 1 in 5 ticks carry lyme, why take the chance. Meds can't help if you don't take them.

I've read in several places that Roundup is carcinegenic (sp) - please think twice about using it if you have pets or small kids who hand out on the lawn.
Roundup is a brand name for a broad-leaf herbicide; that's the nasty stuff.

"Roundup for Lawns Bug Destroyer" has nothing in common with the nasty stuff except the brand name.

I had one bite from a tick that didn’t get pulled off my dog last week. Got it off in less than 24 hours.

I sat all morning hunting for Turkey today and had 7 ticks that I found. Everything went in the dryer and I took a good shower to get all the loose ticks off. If you shower right away it’s a good preventative for any unattached ticks on your person.

+1 round up is nasty shit and should only be used when absolutely necessary.
I will also add that many pesticides work by containing neurotoxins. These same neurotoxins will seriously f****** your pets. Cats in particular are very susceptible to neurotoxins that are commonly found in insecticides.

View attachment 751494
I was prescribed this by my PCP after finding an attached tick
last September:
doxycycline hyclate 200 MG total (2x100 MG tablets).
One dosing. Standard operating procedure.

last September:
Had the same last year. Pharmacist said it's basically the only approved prophylactic usage of antibiotics.

Chatted with my doc last week. Told him we've been walking a lot more. Did I get a "good job, Rich" or other words of encouragement?

Nope, I got a "watch out for ticks" warning. He said he's seeing lots of cases.

last September:

Took that this morning and was vomiting 40 minutes later.... Ughhhh... I never get nauseous. Now, I'm not sure what's going to happen. Not sure how much doxy my body took in....

Mowed some grass the otherday. Half an hour tops. Long pants boots socks. Little f***er crawled up my t shirt and started to dig in. Plucked and flushed. Ug

Permethrin, that's all I'm gonna say;

View attachment 751689

I bathed in that shit this morning. I've been living here for 12 years and spend a lot of time in the woods here hunting and riding. Never had a tick bite and only pulled a few off of me throughout the years... I used to joke that the Turkeys would eat them all. This is the first Spring with no Turkeys in the back yard. Hmmmm... Also, hardly any mice this year... The ticks must have killed them off

I bathed in that shit this morning. I've been living here for 12 years and spend a lot of time in the woods here hunting and riding. Never had a tick bite and only pulled a few off of me throughout the years... I used to joke that the Turkeys would eat them all. This is the first Spring with no Turkeys in the back yard. Hmmmm... Also, hardly any mice this year... The ticks must have killed them off
You're not supposed to put it on you - you're supposed to put it on your clothing and then let it dry (before wearing).

View attachment 751494

The 200 mg Doxy prophylactic has been the standard for tick bites around here.
Both my PCP and the urgent care place have prescribed it to me before.
This year at my yearly physical, I asked my PCP about it and she agreed to write me a script to keep on hand, just in case.

But the Sawyers Permethrin is still the best bet for keeping those little a**h***s off you.

going to have to try this stuff. Does it really last as long as they say, 6 weeks I think I read, or through 6 washings. Seems like a long time.
I've never heard about it lasting through multiple washings, but it's great if you spray everything (shoes, pants, socks, upper garments) until it's wet, then let air dry.

I got lazy and didn't use the permethryn on my stuff this year. Got back to my truck Monday and had at least 50.....I repeat 50 tics on my pants. f***....my.....life. before I hit the woods again I'm gonna spray my shit down.

Back
Top Bottom