• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ticks: Prevention and Control on You, Your Pets and Your Property

I see so many posts about ticks throughout the year that I thought I would try to consolidate and merge my advice from other threads and create a thread for people to really discuss their successes and failures in treating these nasty, nasty little buggers. I hope this helps the NES community. Maybe it's a good sticky to have for a resource.

As a starter, I suggest all that want to better understand ticks and their biology and behavior, the diseases that they can carry, and the prevention/control techniques that have been shown to be effective (both natural and chemical) read the Tick Management HandBook put out by the Chief Entomologist in Connecticut.

The above handbook explain very well some practices you can put in place on how to make you property more of a safe haven from ticks. I specifically practice the twice yearly fogging/spraying of the perimeter of my yard with bifenthrin.

Now there are very many products OTC products available for you (see page 39 of the aforementioned handbook for an extensive breakdown of the types of products available for people) and your pets. With that said, my intent of this post is not to say which product/brand is better, but rather to highlight the chemical properties, the risks and safety of the the products that have been shown to work.

I did not list out the human products since the Handbook has it already typed up quite well.

For your pets though, don't buy into the hype on products that claim "repels mosquitoes" as a selling point. The only significant disease of dogs that is transmitted by mosquitoes is heartworm. And all dogs should already be on a heartworm prevention as well. Touting that it repells mosquitoes is like saying you spray OFF on yourself everyday for fear of a mosquito bite. It's not really that important. All pyrethrin/pyrethroids repel mosquitoes, and pretty much all insects. Just be careful with what you use.

Look at the chemical formulation for the high profile pet products below:

Topicals:

Advantix II:
0.44% pyriproxyfen (insect growth regulator), 8.8% imidocloprid (synthetic insecticide), 44% permethrin (pesticide)
Activyl Plus: 13.01 % indoxacarb (old safe insecticide use in ant traps), 42.5% permethrin (pesticide)
Vectra 3D: 4.95% dinotefuran (insecticide), .44% pyriproxyfen (insect growth regulator), 36.08% permethrin (non-specific pesticide)
Parastar Plus: 9.8% fipronil (insecticide) and 5.2% cyphenothrin (synthetic pyrethrin) - ie. very safe for most animals, not cats. The low level pyrethrin enhances the tick killing ability, but note the low percentage of the chemical. That is what makes it markedly more safe for animals especially if the larger size was given to a smaller dog. Cats are still a no go!
Certifect: 6.4% fipronil (insecticide), 5.8% s-methoprene (insect growth regulator), 7.6% amitraz (synthetic insecticide - with more of non-specific pesticide neuro affect when on mammals, and carcinogenic affects as well). I have avoided Amitraz usage for the last 10+ years for the neuro toxin and carcinogenic reasons above and I'm not about to start having owner put it on their dogs now.
Frontline Plus: 9.8% fipronil (insecticide) and 8.8% s-methoprene (insect growth regulator) - ie. very safe for all animals.

IIRC that at 37-38% Permethrin you can get toxicity issues (neurotransmitter blocker) and if you have other ailments or
poor reactions it can occur at lower percentages. Thus I am not a fan of Vetcra, Advantix and Activyl Plus.

Permethrin is a CHEAP, nasty, nasty chemical - that is why it does wonders on ticks, and pretty much all insects and your dogs nervous system, and yours too. The chemical is not selective to insects either, it affects you, your dog and it's heinous to the felines. Nearly all of its derivatives (in micro amounts too) all cause uncontrollable seizures in cats. So think before you apply to your dog if you have a cat that is buddy with your dog. With small kids in the house that hug a dog, I would be wary around transfer rates to them too. Not a risk I would be willing to take.

The safest products to use are ones that are classified as insecticides (ie. insects only are affected) and not pesticides (as in that it is not specific to only insects).

I prefer to use as little pyrethrin/permethrin containing products as much as possible for the drug resistance concerns (ie super bugs) and then the toxicity issue as well.

Compare - Parastar Plus 5.2% cyphenothrin vs Vetra 3D 36.08% permethrin vs. Activyl 42.5% permethrin

That is a significant jump in the permethrin/pyrethroid additive. That should indicate to you that they have to add more to make up for the fact that the other (cheaper) ingredients just don't have the killing/staying power that you would like. If they did you would be able to use a lesser and safer percentage of a permethrin. Is there ever a safe level though. I would say yes...I have used Parastar for 2 years now with clients and only seen like 1-2 that "felt ill" after. Novartis told me that in their studies that up to 7x was applied with no ill effects. Do the math - that is 7x the amount of a 5.2% solution, nearing the volume of one application of Vectra 3D. As as result it is what I use on my dog due to our tick burden on our property.

I do recommend Frontline to all my patients first. It's by far the safest. If they are still having tick issues I will step up to Parastar. I dropped Vectra due to the significantly high number of patients that didn't feel well after applications (ie. Permethrin toxicity) and that is seems to be less water resistant as well, esp. for those hunting/swimming dogs.

Oral Products:

Nexgard: afoxolaner - 1 month duration.
Bravecto: fluralaner - 3 month duration.

Both are from a new class of chemicals called isoxazolines with anti-parasitic properties. These novel compounds have activity against the GABA and glutamate-gated chloride channels with significant selectivity for insect neurons over mammalian neurons. Aka they are markedly more selective and active against insects over dogs and humans. Both are very good at killing fleas and ticks.

So whats the catch, it's an oral product that lasts 1 or 3 months depending, and kills both fleas and ticks rapidly. Well since it's an oral product, the flea and tick has to bite the dog to be killed. Speed of kill becomes very important and yes both do kill tick fast (<12 hrs) which is enough to theoretically prevent lyme disease. The issue is they the insects still have to bite. That is where the pyrethrin containing topical product win hands down. They still have the repellency going for them.

But for dogs that swim and wash topicals off faster - the oral products look extremely promising and seem to be the future of the flea and tick market. There is much talk of combination of heartworm/flea/tick medications in not to distant future.

Collars:

Soresto Collar (for dogs and cats): 10% imidcloprid (insecticide) and 4.5% flumethrin (sythetic pyrethroid that is safe for cats)

It only releases chemicals when in contact with skin. It is water resistant. It is non-toxic when eaten. It is radiographically visible if your pet eats it. It is safe for cats. It last for 8 months. It is over the counter. And it is receiving high praise amongst the veterinary and client community. I would suggest anyone looking into flea and tick products to take a look at it.

Now I'm not a fan of collars - they do get eaten, broken, lost, etc. but man, Bayer has got a good one here.

Disclaimer: You should always discuss any product with your doctor and veterinarian for safety and appropriateness of usage before applying it.

Last edited:
Excellent reference, thank you.

Question: Our vet convinced my wife to switch from Frontline Plus (fipronil) to Nexgard (afoxolaner). My ultimate goal is having the ticks stay on the dog to bite and die quickly and not be "repelled" to fall off and latch on to the kids. Are either of these methods sufficient for my stated objective (ticks stay on dog, not kids)?

I do recommend Frontline to all my patients first. It's by far the safest. If they are still have tick issues I will step up to Parastar. I dropped Vectra due to the significantly high number of patients that didn't feel well after applications (ie. Permethrin toxicity) and that is seems to be less water resistant as well, esp. for those hunting/swimming dogs.

Well I'm glad to read that. Been using it for a long time now. Works as advertised.

Nice post.

Question: Our vet convinced my wife to switch from Frontline Plus (fipronil) to Nexgard (afoxolaner). My ultimate goal is having the ticks stay on the dog to bite and die quickly and not be "repelled" to fall off and latch on to the kids. Are either of these methods sufficient for my stated objective (ticks stay on dog, not kids)?
With Frontline - you had some, call it minimal, repellency. With Nexgard you have ZERO repellecny and yes, the ticks will die on on the dog in the process of feeding. From what I have been told and seen, if you search for ticks you will find them. They will be in the process of migrating to bite, biting, dying as biting, or desiccated/shrivel attached ticks that when you try to remove them they essentially turn to dust.

Great info. I've been using Advantix II but my small rat terrier mix still has been diagnosed with Lyme, we just finished the oral antibiotic treatment and she has had the first of 2 shots of the Lyme vaccine. I've take a dozen ticks off my other dog in the last week, only one deer tick, I never found any on the dog that has Lyme. So, I am thinking of changing to a different preventative. One mutt is 12 pounds the other is 22 pounds, both terrier mix. What's the best way to get a different brand than what the vet carries?

Thank you very much for this info. Always used frontline, but fed into the mosquito thing you mentioned and went with advantix this year. I will switch back.

Thank you very much for this info. Always used frontline, but fed into the mosquito thing you mentioned and went with advantix this year. I will switch back.
That's a hard one..if you never had issues with FL or Advantix then there is really no winner here, just a choice of cost and chemical preferences. Use what you feel is the safest, best working product.

That's a hard one..if you never had issues with FL or Advantix then there is really no winner here, just a choice of cost and chemical preferences. Use what you feel is the safest, best working product.

I never had a problem with either, but the % of permethrin in advantix has me wanting to avoid it.

After getting flea infestations using both Frontline & Advantix, we decided to try the Soresto collar this spring. We are heading into the eigth month without even a tick and I just bought new collars for both dogs. I also put a collar on my mom's dog who lives in a more "country" setting and has had tons of trouble with both fleas and ticks in the past.

Perhaps this hasn't been a banner year for fleas & ticks, idk. What I do know is that the collar has worked for me.

I put the Soresto, supposedly for dogs 7 weeks and older, on my 12 week old and it made him terribly sick.

I put the Soresto, supposedly for dogs 7 weeks and older, on my 12 week old and it made him terribly sick.

that's pretty rare from what i've heard, what did your vet say? has your dod had sensitivity to any other flea/tick products before?

i watched a demo about the seresto collar and the bayer rep was wearing the damn thing for part of the presentation. for some reason i wasn't fully focused during those parts as my imagination was going wild.

I like the idea of the Bravecto, as I don't have to worry about pesticides on the dog, and hence on my family. I heard that Bravecto has limited effectiveness against black-legged (Deer) ticks. Any truth to that? And a vet tech told me the Bravecto does have repellent capabilities, which I thought was false. I read above that the tick needs to bite the dog in order to be killed, which was my assumption. What I'd really like to do is limit ticks on the dog and in the house, which seems like the best of both worlds but not necessarily possible, except with maybe Sorestro collars. I pulled a tick off me this morning and I haven't been in the woods recently so I think my dog carried it in.

I heard that Bravecto has limited effectiveness against black-legged (Deer) ticks. Any truth to that?
False. 12 weeks for black-legged, american dog, and brown dog ticks. 8 weeks for lone star tick.

And a vet tech told me the Bravecto does have repellent capabilities, which I thought was false. I read above that the tick needs to bite the dog in order to be killed, which was my assumption.
False.

There is no perfect product - the repellent products risk the ticks dropping off in the house. The ones that don't repel mean that you will likely have ticks found on the dog (eventually dead one would hope). So it literally is a pick your poison type of question.

Cedar oil kills ticks? Do you drown them?

Dr Ben's paws & claws original cedar oil formula flea and tick spray, I sprayed it on a tick and it was dead in less than a minute. The rescue I got my dog from swears by it.

False. 12 weeks for black-legged, american dog, and brown dog ticks. 8 weeks for lone star tick.

False.

There is no perfect product - the repellent products risk the ticks dropping off in the house. The ones that don't repel mean that you will likely have ticks found on the dog (eventually dead one would hope). So it literally is a pick your poison type of question.

Thanks. So if you had to pick a product, which would you choose?

Thanks. So if you had to pick a product, which would you choose?
Honestly - I go for speed of kill and repellency. I use Parastar Plus on my dog. I'm ok with the level of pyrethrin in the product. For us it's worked very, very well. But it's hard to beat an oral that lasts a few months and doesn't wash off. We haven't made the jump to Bravecto as I just don't see a need to for us change what's not broken and increase the risk of resistance to new products.

Honestly - I go for speed of kill and repellency. I use Parastar Plus on my dog. I'm ok with the level of pyrethrin in the product. For us it's worked very, very well. But it's hard to beat an oral that lasts a few months and doesn't wash off. We haven't made the jump to Bravecto as I just don't see a need to for us change what's not broken and increase the risk of resistance to new products.

Have you had any feedback on the Seresto collars?

PetArmor Plus is the same formulation as Frontline Plus, at a fraction of the cost. You can buy it at Walmart or through Amazon.
Frontline's patent ran out on Fipronil recently (2014?)- thus thousands of generic products popped up recently. The one issue that you have to pay attention to is that while the active ingredients are the same, the inactive ones and carrier agents are not always and that can have a significant impact on whether the product is as effective or causes dermatologic reactions.

Yeah - generally very positive. We sell them regularly. I just can't get past the fact that it is a collar. But it is extremely well designed and it's safe for cats too!

We switched from FrontLine to Advantix then Seresto after we got fleas with the first two. We are on our second set of collars on three dogs and haven't had one flea or tick. No side effects either so fingers crossed it works for this summer as well as last.

Frontline's patent ran out on Fipronil recently (2014?)- thus thousands of generic products popped up recently.

PetArmor must have been licensing it, because we've been using it since at least 2004. It's sold side-by-side with Frontline at Walmart, so it's easy to compare the labels: it's the exact same formulation.

Back
Top Bottom