• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Venison and wild game cooking.

And so it begins. This batch i used a whole bottle of moosehead beer. Pablano and jalapeño peppers.....the usual chili powder and cumin of course. I like my chili thick so I start the crackpot almost dry and add a can of tomatoe paste later on.
20231209_080945.jpg

Some of mine.

Attachments

• 49BC0377-4043-454D-86F8-11ACEAE15E84.jpeg
    49BC0377-4043-454D-86F8-11ACEAE15E84.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • 92377D94-E7DD-46C3-BBE8-6AD7BA707664.jpeg
    92377D94-E7DD-46C3-BBE8-6AD7BA707664.jpeg
    970.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 44436FFF-1FBB-41C5-8694-B8C270419E0E.jpeg
    44436FFF-1FBB-41C5-8694-B8C270419E0E.jpeg
    730.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 0F32B6A2-93BE-48B5-8E97-3C849EA267C6.jpeg
    0F32B6A2-93BE-48B5-8E97-3C849EA267C6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
I do a lot of different venison dishes as the wife and daughter don't like venison, "too gamey". They love the chili, the lasagna, the jerky and the burgers from the grill though :) Just can't get them to eat nice steaks often. More for me I guess.

I have been experimenting with dishes from various Steve Rinella books. I made the sweet and spicy jerky last winter )Sweet and Spicy Wild Game Jerky). The best I have ever made and very complex flavors. He works with chefs from high end hunting camps around the world to dial in his recipes and I haven't found one yet that I don't like.

I made this chili recipe of his yesterday and it is an absolute winner. My wife loved the flavors. The cocoa seemed a little odd but it works!!

I do a lot of different venison dishes as the wife and daughter don't like venison, "too gamey". They love the chili, the lasagna, the jerky and the burgers from the grill though :) Just can't get them to eat nice steaks often. More for me I guess.

I have been experimenting with dishes from various Steve Rinella books. I made the sweet and spicy jerky last winter )Sweet and Spicy Wild Game Jerky). The best I have ever made and very complex flavors. He works with chefs from high end hunting camps around the world to dial in his recipes and I haven't found one yet that I don't like.

I made this chili recipe of his yesterday and it is an absolute winner. My wife loved the flavors. The cocoa seemed a little odd but it works!!

My wife is in the supermarket right now picking up these ingredients. We use his books all the time for cooking.

My wife is in the supermarket right now picking up these ingredients. We use his books all the time for cooking.

First time I tried his "whole shoulder" recipe in the dutch oven was pretty much the end of me boning out front shoulders for the grinder. The first 2 deer of the season get the front shoulders packed whole for that recipe and friends love it. Most of them prefer it to backstraps on the grill. Go figure.

I have found that pheasant soaked in orange jouce (or anything acidic) subdues the "gamey taste.
I never thought pheasant was gamey......the stocked birds in New England are farm raised anyway so your really eating the same thing you'd buy at the store

Copying you. My wife is whipping up a batch of Rinella chili. This done with elk.

20231213_075758.jpg

Started prepping for game meant night.
Slider buns are done. Elk, whitetail, muley and antelope thinly cut strip steaks are marinating in various marinades. Bear has been super thinlyy cut so it can be wrapped around the jalapeño poppers. Various gme meats also sliced up for the fondue. The fondue will hold elk broth. Gator meat chunked so it can be battered and deep fried.

20231222_134433.jpg 20231222_133824.jpg

Started prepping for game meant night.
Slider buns are done. Elk, whitetail, muley and antelope thinly cut strip steaks are marinating in various marinades. Bear has been super thinlyy cut so it can be wrapped around the jalapeño poppers. Various gme meats also sliced up for the fondue. The fondue will hold elk broth. Gator meat chunked so it can be battered and deep fried.

View attachment 831021View attachment 831022
That looks fabulous 👌

Back
Top Bottom