• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need game meal idea

peterk123

NES Member
My oldest daughter will be visiting us for Christmas and she asked to sample our various game meats because we had one heck of a season. So I'd like to prepare a little bit of everything.

Need your help on some simple but tasty ideas. Here is what we got this year:

Whitetail
Muley
Antelope
Elk
Bear
Kokanee
Alligator.. yup alligator. My youngest and her husband went on an alligator hunt in Florida two weeks ago!

We have steaks, ground, and sausage. I also have legs cut for osso bucco. Oh, and deer ribs.

Was thinking of making some tiny burgers with some of the ground and making a bunch of dipping sauces and small homemade buns. Cut some meats thin, marinade and grill it on a skewer. I could keep some thinly cut pieces raw and set up the fundoo as well.

Has anyone done a game sampler before? Ideas?

My oldest daughter will be visiting us for Christmas and she asked to sample our various game meats because we had one heck of a season. So I'd like to prepare a little bit of everything.

Need your help on some simple but tasty ideas. Here is what we got this year:

Whitetail
Muley
Antelope
Elk
Bear
Kokanee
Alligator.. yup alligator. My youngest and her husband went on an alligator hunt in Florida two weeks ago!

We have steaks, ground, and sausage. I also have legs cut for osso bucco. Oh, and deer ribs.

Was thinking of making some tiny burgers with some of the ground and making a bunch of dipping sauces and small homemade buns. Cut some meats thin, marinade and grill it on a skewer. I could keep some thinly cut pieces raw and set up the fundoo as well.

Has anyone done a game sampler before? Ideas?
I have found a crowd pleaser is some type of pot pie.
Dice up all the veg you want. Usually a bunch of good aromatics and root veg. Toss in oil. Salt. People. Garlic. Roast them off.
Braise down the meat in some stock of your choice.
Pull the meat. Thicken the braising liquid. Toss the veggies in.
Then you can go from mild to wild on the crust. I like to cheat and use some pre made pillybusy biscuits dropped on top or some puff pastry dough. (No bottom crust)

Super simple dish I do with salmon that the whole family loves.
Sprinkle some Montreal seasoning on it or anything similar. It’s mostly just coarse salt pepper and garlic.
Pan sear it nice and dark. Flip it over and coat in Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce. Finish it in the oven letting the sauce get all dark and tacky.
Serve with mashed and veg. It’s as basic as it gets but the sweet chili really goes well with the salmon.

Back
Top Bottom