• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Venison and wild game cooking.

whacko

NES Member
Deer season almost over in nh....mass just starting. You guys should all have plenty of wild game in the freezers so let's post pics. Let the drueling begin!

I'll start.

Shepherds pie with ground venison and a cubed up venison steak. Gravy has red wine and sage and Rosemarie we dehydrated from the garden back in September.

20231129_180303.jpg 20231129_181219.jpg 20231129_184439.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man, I'm in for this thread.

This was our stuffing for Thanksgiving. The idea was to make so much that I could eat it alone as a meal.

The cubed bread is homemade sourdough. Ground meat is elk breakfast sausage and plain ground whitetail. Also added finely chopped bear backstrap. Added sautéed peppers, onions, carrots, garlic and celery. The broth was bone broth we made, I can't recall if was the elk or deer. Topped it off by grating fresh parm cheese.

20231123_125639.jpg

Oh man, I'm in for this thread.

This was our stuffing for Thanksgiving. The idea was to make so much that I could eat it alone as a meal.

The cubed bread is homemade sourdough. Ground meat is elk breakfast sausage and plain ground whitetail. Also added finely chopped bear backstrap. Added sautéed peppers, onions, carrots, garlic and celery. The broth was bone broth we made, I can't recall if was the elk or deer. Topped it off by grating fresh parm cheese.

View attachment 822153
Ok you win. 😂

This is our meal tonight. Deer neck slow cooked in elk broth. Kale, onions, potatoes and whatever other vegetables we could find in the fridge. I'm sure I have posted about it before. There is nothing more tender than slow cooking a neck, bones and all. Don't debone it! This had been cooking for eight hours.

This will get served with some barley.

20231129_165938.jpg
20231129_173835.jpg

Last edited:
Deer season almost over in nh....mass just starting. You guys should all have plenty of wild game in the freezers so let's post pics. Let the drueling begin!

I'll start.

Shepherds pie with ground venison and a cubed up venison steak. Gravy has red wine and sage and Rosemarie we dehydrated from the garden back in September.

View attachment 822146View attachment 822147View attachment 822154

We make a lot of Shepard pies with ground venison. It’s even better with mashed sweet potatoes instead of regular spuds. I usually make it 1/2 & 1/2 as my wife prefers the regular spuds.

Bob

We make a lot of Shepard pies with ground venison. It’s even better with mashed sweet potatoes instead of regular spuds. I usually make it 1/2 & 1/2 as my wife prefers the regular spuds.

Bob
I've always loved Shepherds pie since I was a kid. My favorite meal. My dad made a great shepherds pie.

I've always loved Shepherds pie since I was a kid. My favorite meal. My dad made a great shepherds pie.

Same here. Gravey is a must as it keeps the meat really moist.

we used to do more meatloaf but my wife now has gluten issues and GF bread crumbs are worthless so we don’t do that much now.

Venison meat loaf is one of my favorites. I tell people all the time that recipes that keep the meat moist are the best if you are a medium to well meat eater. Venison is meant to be eaten med rare to rare and if you cook it beyond that it just kills the flavor.

My wife tells people I like it so rare I need to finish killing it on the plate.

I always thought that it would damage and scratch up the top so I have shied away from cast iron.

Good to know I was wrong.
Well, I'm not exactly kind to my cooktop or the oven. So don't go by me. It's worth scratching up in my opinion. The cast iron heats up so evenly and you can cook on much lower temps, as I'm sure you are already aware of.

I have to learn how to do summer sausage.
I just go to the butcher, tell how many pounds I'm processing, then he weighs out the exact amount of the ingredients I need. Then we put everything into this big stainless thing that you hand crank. It mixes everything up in two minutes. Then into the sausage maker. Fills one of those casings in a minute. Let it cure for 24 hours then into the smoker. I smoke it at 170 degrees. Since it's bear, I needed to get the internal temp to 165.

Got ground venison and a good sized steak thawing for a batch of chili tomorrow for the Army navy game. I always cube up a steak and add the ground in my chili.

Back
Top Bottom