Ticks, ticks, ticks...

Does the nexguard work well for your dogs? Would much rather use the chew than put the treatment on my dog. Was interested in them, always have my yard treated every year so typically I don't use anything on them but I plan on doing more hiking this year.

My 25 pound puggle threw up and had diarrhea from the chew. Your dog might be fine.

I haven't given my dog any protection against ticks as I only walk her on sidewalks and never take her in the woods. But I may change my mind this year. We haven't had any issues with ticks in my yard as I don't live in a wooded area. Though we have tons of rabbits which makes me wonder if ticks will fall off of them...

Last edited:
Forgot to spray last Sunday fishing small backwoods stream got back to the truck and pulled 26 off of me that we're crawling around.

What strength do you recommend? I'm looking to treat some clothes and also to spray down a tent.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

10% is what you need. I use Sawyer's 24 oz spray. You did say you wanted the concentrate (36%), but it's a waste to use it full strength. You can mix it. One treatment is good for six weeks, or six washings. Are you spraying down the whole scout troop?

10% is what you need. I use Sawyer's 24 oz spray. You did say you wanted the concentrate (36%), but it's a waste to use it full strength. You can mix it. One treatment is good for six weeks, or six washings. Are you spraying down the whole scout troop?
Nope, just myself and my son.

Nope, just myself and my son.

Sawyer's Picaridin works great on exposed skin, face, neck, etc. Better than Deet for mosquitos. Treat hats and clothes with Permethrin.

Watch the video on the Amazon/Sawyer page for uses and instructions.

Does the nexguard work well for your dogs? Would much rather use the chew than put the treatment on my dog. Was interested in them, always have my yard treated every year so typically I don't use anything on them but I plan on doing more hiking this year.

I have used both and found the liquid that you put on their coat works better than the chewable ones and don't cheap out on the brand you buy

Also I have this which I have only used once so far when it had been a while since we put the tick stuff on them and it worked great

Tick Twister Tick Remover Set with Small and Large (Pack of 2 Sets) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X7072HY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_RDZazb4WTMNRG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two brittanys which i hunt with. Right now it is just fitness work in the woods though and the ticks are as bad as ever. Between the two dogs and myself, I picked off 64 ticks yesterday, 24 came off the head of one dog alone.

We used to use Vectra, which was a topical, on the dogs and it was great, ticks would want off the dog immediately. But in the end, one of our dogs developed a skin reaction to it so we have switched to nexgard and it has been effective. The downside with nexgard is the tick has to bite in order to be killed.

I am trying to find something to use in addition to the nexgard to try to ward off the ticks from even jumping on.

I have used both and found the liquid that you put on their coat works better than the chewable ones and don't cheap out on the brand you buy

Also I have this which I have only used once so far when it had been a while since we put the tick stuff on them and it worked great

Tick Twister Tick Remover Set with Small and Large (Pack of 2 Sets) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X7072HY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_RDZazb4WTMNRG

Gonna get these, thanks for the info. Our dog is on Nexgaurd (time to get more though) and she doesn't get too many. She is a Sheltie with a very long, thick coat so sometimes they are on her but not usually biting her.

The cat gets the deer ticks all the time, mostly on her face. She goes outside at night and half the day and loves hunting in the tall grass/weeds and woods. She has been on Frontline which isn't doing much to keep the tiny little deer ticks off her. We have used Rose Geranium oil too. Just rub a little on her face (careful around the eyes) and that helps but it's not 100%.

My wife makes a concoction for the horses that is mostly to combat flies but it seems to keep other bugs away somewhat too. It's basically 50/50 water and apple cider vinegar then add some grape seed oil as a carrier oil and several drops of peppermint oil and I think she adds some others like maybe tea tree oil, lavender maybe.

Went shooting in my friends woods in barre last weekend. Was out there for about 4 hours. Came back and found 6 ticks on me. 3 were deer ticks and 3 were already attached. I have never seen it that bad in that area.

Me, the kid, and the dog went scouting for fishing spots in the Milford/Amherst NH area. We were all covered in them. We didn't count them, but it was about as many as I've seen.

Besides the treatment for the dog, we use a super fine comb on the dog and that always gets out a few we can't see by eye.

A couple weeks ago, I came home from the gym and made the mistake of sitting in the living room chair instead of heading for the shower. Albert decided to jump into my lap and demand petting. A few minutes later, went to the shower... and damned if one of the little bastards hadn't already gotten me. On came the rash. Presently on yet another course of Doxy. Joke at the pharmacy is I'm not a chick magnet, I'm a tick magnet.

Anyone tried Outdoor Research's Bugout gaiters?

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/bugout-gaiters-480e81d7c2a8a11611a67984400d6111.html

The Insect Shield treatment is permethrin based, but I'm unsure whether the average tick is going to sneak under the elastic on the bottom.

When I was checking out what Insect Shield was, I found an option on the company's site to treat your clothing. https://www.insectshield.com/ISYOC.aspx No idea how well it works, but it suggests some interesting options.

Ticks in my immediate area don't sound like they're as bad as some of yours, but they're still up from last year. Creepy little buggers that they are.

My vet recommended nexguard over frontline

For years we used Frontline on their advice. This year they told me to change over to the chewable. I hate putting on the liquid so I was quickly on board. I trust my vet so I had no concerns about switching over.

I really need to get a better test out there. CDC and FDA have a stupid amount of refs in place to prevent new tests from coming out. A freaking western blot for igm and igg response to bands on a gel is dark ages testing.

I haven't seen any on my dogs, using Seresto. I'm curious what others using the Seresto collar are seeing this year?

Took the dog to the woods, he looked like a semi truck on the way to England from Calais, France....full of hitchhikers. Had five or six per leg. And a few on his body. He takes a pill for ticks And has been vaccinated for lime disease. ****ers are crazy this year. Had at least five crawling on me. Need to mix up more permethrin spray.

deadly tick-borne Powassan virus

I haven't seen this mentioned here:

...Powassan virus, which is a far rarer and more deadly pathogen than the bacterium that produces Lyme, is also transmitted by the deer tick. The virus can cause inflammation in the brain, which leads to death or permanent disability in 60 percent of cases.

Especially worrying, the virus can be transmitted from the tick in as little as 15 minutes, Lyons said...

The reported cases have mostly come from the Northeast and the northern part of the Midwest...

Few have heard of Powassan virus, but it’s been around for a long time. The first reported case was in the 1950s in Ontario, said Durland Fish, a professor emeritus of epidemiology and microbiology at the Yale School of Public Health. It wasn't considered a big problem then because the virus had been transmitted by a tick that rarely bit human beings, Fish said.

But that changed when it appeared in deer ticks.

“It’s no longer a disease that’s just caused by a tick species that hardly ever bites people,” Fish said. “Now it’s being transmitted by a tick species that bites people readily. And that’s not good. This is a disease that there is no treatment for and that you can die from.”...

Right now, nobody knows how fast or far the virus will spread.

“Regarding the question of whether or not there will be a huge outbreak like there was with Lyme, I would hope not,” Powers said. “We’re trying to identify the trends that would signal that type of emergence.”...

http://www.today.com/health/worse-lyme-tick-borne-powassan-virus-worries-experts-t110892

Be careful out there.

My wife's boss and her family all have Lyme (among other tick born illnesses) and were interviewed by Fox25 a couple days ago. They have it bad especially the daughter. Really sad as they're such nice hardworking people. Shows how bad it can get and how easy it is for a misdiagnosis:

http://www.fox25boston.com/news/loc...gers-of-lyme-disease-tick-explosion/518270509
Very sad.
From the article...
In addition, if you find a tick on your body, you can put it in a plastic sandwich bag and bring it to a doctor for Lyme testing

To me that just sounds crazy, my dog and i have had a few ticks each day for months.
If everyone was to bring ticks to be tested the health care system would be overburdened by it.
Also it sounds like somthing an overprotective mother would do.

Re: The Powassan Virus.. I've a friend who company makes a machine that chills the blood going to your brain. People who should be dead from brain damage walk out of the hospital 2 weeks later. Not FDA approved. This is a perfect example of how this tech should be used.

Very sad.
From the article...
In addition, if you find a tick on your body, you can put it in a plastic sandwich bag and bring it to a doctor for Lyme testing

To me that just sounds crazy, my dog and i have had a few ticks each day for months.
If everyone was to bring ticks to be tested the health care system would be overburdened by it.
Also it sounds like somthing an overprotective mother would do.

B. burgorferi divides once every 1-2 days. slow growing bug.. Very hard to test at home.. PITA to test for in the lab.. basically, you'd need some sort of pcr setup. Still cheaper than a months worth of antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom