Thunderware/Smart Carry

First of all, who uses them? How do you like them? The guy at the gun show had a pretty fast presentation with his, and he had a full size 1911, and a snub nose in his and you couldn't tell he had anything at all.

Second, there seems to be some differences in the 2 products. Which one do you have?

Thanks
Adam

Good, deep concealment, but uncomfortable after a while for fat people (like me). I pretty much limit use to times in the spring and summer when I am in the t-shirt and shorts mode, and mostly staying outdoors. Other parts of the year I can wear vests and stick to the strong-side belt holster.

Definitely preferred to wearing a concealment vest in the summer (Hey! I got a gun!), or a buttpack (Hey! I've got another gun!). Mine is the standard denim material with two pockets. The S&W 642 fits just fine, and is really not noticeable with fairly baggy shorts.

I recommend having one for the times when nothing else works well with what you're wearing.

I bought Thunderwear a few years ago at a gun show, Wilmington, I think. The guy demonstrating was like a magic show. I walked up and he pulls a full size 1911 and an N frame size revolver out of his pants. I was impressed so I bought one. I wore it a lot for a few months and then lost interest. Certainly comfortable and concealable, even with a mid size pistol. However, I found it to be extremely slow. Probably compounded by my belly shelf which blocks fast access. I still have it and will wear it on rare occasion for deep concealment. I know that some guys swear by it, however, for every day wear I prefer a j frame in a pocket holster. The guys I have talked to that like it carry fairly large handguns and I think that it what they like about it. Personally, for me I would rather have the smaller gun in my pocket where I can get at it fairly quickly as opposed to something substantially larger that is all but inaccessible. A slimmer person might fare better.

Sitting is the tough part. Not that I'm worried about where the gun is pointing - down and away - but it can get uncomfortable without really loose clothing. Then, when you stand up, the rear strap creeps up your back and you need to slide it back down again. Otherwise, the velcro starts to scratch your back.

This is why I generally prefer it only if I'm going to be "vertical" all day.

But, as it was once said, "concealed carry is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable..."

I have 2 different sizes of the Smartcarry and use them quite a bit.

HOWEVER, I use them differently than advertised.

I wear them with the pouch on the side just as I would a clip on.

Wearing it this way has some advantages. You can wear it high, with the grip above the belt just like a regular holster and if you need to go deep concealment, just shove it down below your belt. When you don't need deep, just push it back up again.

It's the ultimate 'tuckable as it doesn't hang on your belt, Just put on your undies, put on your holster, put on your shirt and pull up your pants. No clips to have to stuff your shirt between.

It doesn't pull down your pants since it has it's own belt and stays put when you need to use the 'throne'.

I find it much better this way as the gun doesn't dig into your private parts when sitting, and is much easier to retrieve your weapon when sitting down, since you don't need to move your 'overhang' (us older guys gottem) before you can reach the gun.

You also get a smaller second pocket made into it to carry a spare magazine.

The Smartcarry appears to be the better of the 2 brands as it is sewn so there is nothing to snag the gun on while retrieving it. Also it has a water resistant layer to prevent sweat from soaking the fabric.

I'm very happy with mine. I carry a CS45 or my jframe in the small size or my commander sized 1911 in a medium sized one.

I alternate between it and my Tucker Texas Heritage. I tend to use the smartcarry more in the summer when I might be wearing just a T shirt.

Try it, if you don't like it, return it within 60 days, no questions asked.

I find it very uncomfortable, I am 5'7" 240 lbs. I think tall and slim may help alot but that's not me. I do carry in it once in a while but reholstering for me is very difficult so I don't use it when going to the range. I usually us a crossbreed supertuck.

Oh, and I'm carrying a S&W CS9 which is relatively small.

I use one all the time in the summer when I'm wearing shorts. If you're part of the all gut no butt crowd you may have some comfort issues.

I have a SmartCarry that I used to carry my PPK in. Once you're used to it, it's quite comfortable. Since I work in a victim disarmnament zone, I haven't tried it with my K9 yet. Should work OK, though.

There's a reason I ponied up the dough for a P3AT...

3721.jpeg

Icom P3AT. 220mhz Ham Radio. Nice units. Little chunky. I never went much for 220, but my P4AT on 440mhz is a fine radio and the repeater in Marlborough has fantastic coverage and is mostly unused.

Oh wait? You were referring to the Kel-Tec P3AT

MVC-012F.jpg

Nice little pistol. Sure wish we could get 'em in MA. But the door was slammed before these were available. Did manage to get the P32 JUST in time. Nice little gun, but marginal for stopping power. (not that the 9mm Kurtz, 9x17, 380 ACP is all that much better.) But, I'd take a .22 over nothing.

Vanishes well in a rear pocket in something like the Hedley Holster.

Well, I ordered one today. They give a 60 day money back guarantee, so I'll try it out and see..

Thanks everyone.
Adam

I bought one a year or so ago and couldn't stand it. It worked great at concealing the gun but try driving a standard with your gun jammed into your sack. I couldn't get it off fast enough. I spend a ton of my day in the car so it just wasn't an option for me. If I didn't spend much time in the car and was standing most of the day it prob. would have worked fine for me. I guess it works better for some people than it does for others.

3721.jpeg

Icom P3AT. 220mhz Ham Radio. Nice units. Little chunky. I never went much for 220, but my P4AT on 440mhz is a fine radio and the repeater in Marlborough has fantastic coverage and is mostly unused.

ICOM does make some nice gear, but they have yet to make an HT that
has a .380 built into it.... when they do, count me in! [laugh]

I haven't used a 440 mhz repeater in like forever... really don't
have much a use for it anymore since 448.625 went down... which was
basically god's repeater. Then again, I don't think I've keyed up a
radio inside of like 6 months. [shame]

-Mike

Adam,

are you looking for something different than the C-TAC? or something more generic for carrying what ever instead of a holster for a specific piece?

Keith

Adam,

are you looking for something different than the C-TAC? or something more generic for carrying what ever instead of a holster for a specific piece?

Keith

Nope not looking for something to replace the C-TAC at all. I love all 4 of my C-TAC holsters, and wouldn't trade them for anything. I am however looking for something that is even more concealable, and specifically something that can be worn even without a shirt.

Back
Top Bottom