Thompson WW2 Hi-cap mags legal?

Im looking to get some USGI Thompson Mags but im finding a lot of places that sell them online wont ship them to Mass. Am I missing something? They will not sell/ship Thompson USGI prebans. Is there something I dont know about Mass laws because i thought ALL Hi-caps were ok if they were PRE-BAN? Im thinking these sellers are just being EXTRA careful, but I figured I would ask my fellow NES'ers. Just to clarify, Im NOT trying to buy new hi-caps, just the original WW2 mags making them pre-ban. Just curious as I know the Thompson has been dubbed "EXTRA" evil, sadly, and perhaps there is some stupid law I didnt know about them. Thanks!

Jess

yea its killing me, I keep getting replies like this one I just got

"Yes, we have WWII Thompson Mags. We do not ship to any prohibited state, even where some exemption are available.

Thanks,"

And I reply, "Thats unfortunate, I purchase a lot of items all year round. Sorry we could not do business"

I cant believe this state sometimes.

The AGs have threatened out-of-state dealers and admonished them to not sell any hi-cap mags (even if legal to possess), ammo, components, or firearms (including BB guns, pellet guns, blackpowder, etc.) into MA.

Many are afraid of legal hassles so they kiss off everyone in MA and some other states.

Nothing illegal about you buying them from anywhere as long as you have a proper license.

My local FFL didn't have them either but they were kind enough to receive my online order for me and then transfer them to me for free. The seller documented them as preban. So maybe if you have a local dealer that you do business with they will do the same for you.

If you are near CT you can ship them to me and pick them up..i live 1 town over the border..Enfield...

Many sellers will not even do this, ship to a legal state if the billing address on the CC is in a prohibited state.

I found one place last night I was able to place an order, they had a list of ship to no no's and mass was not on it. Im keeping my fingers crossed! They made mention on Pre-ban mags so im hoping im in the clear. I will let everyone know what happens. Thanks for all the advice, offers and input, I may have try a few of your suggestions if this doesnt work. If all else fails there is always the gun shows!

Thanks Knob Creek! They are unaltered but luckily I had found that link you had posted so if all goes well and my order goes through I can mod them. Also, I just spoke to Auto-Ordnance and they sell the Pre-modified Pre-ban mags here in Mass!! Nice to know if all else fails I can go local. The only problem is they are about $20 more per stick than the source I found online which are un-modified. May be worth the extra $20, but I like mod projects anyways.

Why are the 30 rounders cheaper then the 20's???

If it is a unaltered original you will likely have to elongate the hole in the magazine. It can be done on a bridgeport or with a dremel tool. I had to have all mine done.

http://www.autoordnance.com/fittingt11.html

I did this to a few 30 rounders with a Dremel. It took about 5 minutes per mag, removing a small amount of metal at a time and fitting it to the gun. Once it locks tight in place, stop, you're done.
BTW, I got my mags from a seller on GB that had no problem selling WW2 original mags to Mass residents, but I asked first before placing the bid.

*****do not post vendors who might send to MA******

Hey thanks!! I will def give them a shout, have you had any dealings with them? I only ask as I have heard some people say that some companies send good quality mags and others send bottom of the barrel stuff!

JDubs, Once you get your mags. We'll expect to see you this year at a Zootshooters match at Copicut Rifle Association in No. Dartmouth this year.

http://www.zootshooters.com/
That looks awesome! When im done posting this im all over the site, it looks fun. I wanted to dress like that for the GOAL photo when I go pick up my Tommy haha. The model I won was the military TM1 tho and im too fat for army issue clothes[rofl]

I did this to a few 30 rounders with a Dremel. It took about 5 minutes per mag, removing a small amount of metal at a time and fitting it to the gun. Once it locks tight in place, stop, you're done.
BTW, I got my mags from a seller on GB that had no problem selling WW2 original mags to Mass residents, but I asked first before placing the bid.

I have heard as long as you take your time and take just a little bit off and keep checking fit its easy. So easy a cave man could do it! I kinda look forward to it, i like weird stuff like that with my toys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice people at ********. They will only ship to a FLL in MA. I have three 20 rnd mags but I've never actually used them. They look 'as new' to me though.

Last edited by a moderator:
if its for a semiauto thompson, modify the mag catch so you dont have to modify original mags. its what I did with mine. i was lucky, as I found a source a couple years ago willing to mail me original WWII stick and drum mags for mine. There are places out there, just got to look.

Those mags are probably 800 years old. The sellers just don't want to deal with the regulatory BS of MA or don't want to deal with the laws in MA. They've all be indoctrinated into thinking that "large capacity" = cooties or some crap like that.

-Mike

The Sportsmans guide won't ship a Swiss Army Knife here, they'll ship the fuzzy NRA slippers though! Great Company![wink]

The Sportsmans guide won't ship a Swiss Army Knife here, they'll ship the fuzzy NRA slippers though! Great Company![wink]

If Winchester made a spork that said "Winchester" on it, they won't send it to MA. [rofl]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom