Mass Legal Combat Shotguns

I’m looking to pick up a nice combat shotgun but Mass laws are making this much tougher than I thought. I was hoping to get a Beretta 1301 Tactical Mod. 2 or Benelli M4 Tactical LE but the pistol grip and 7-8 round capacities look to disqualify them both (if I’m understanding the laws correctly). Even though it is total overkill, I was thinking of a Spas-12 since it’s pre-ban (1982). Do pre-ban rules apply to shotguns in Mass?

Thanks
Get the M4 100%

Agreed. That's why the Norincos are useful. Great design, great configuration, reliable function. I feel lucky I found mine. They're very faithful repros.

My only other shotty is a real-deal Winchester model 1897 made about eighty years ago. That thing's still rock-solid, but it's the full-length barrel. The "feel" of the Norinco is just as slick as the feel of the Winchester. Quality is great; everyone shits on Chinese manufacture, but nobody shits on Chinese AKs. They know how to make good guns, and their 1897 clones are first-rate.

And? They slam-fire, like they're supposed to.
To be sure, an original 87 Winchester is an intriguing shotgun. And I am prepared to accept Picton's endorsement of the Norinco.

However, either old or new, the 87 design has one design feature that mandates spending a good deal of time getting familiar with it: the potential for nailing your shooting hand thumb when racking the bolt back. Not good to be drawing one's own blood in the middle of a gun fight, and of all the fingers you don't want to lose, the strong hand thumb is very important.

Long time ago I settled on a stainless Winchester 1200 police turn-in. Very slick.

Back
Top Bottom