• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

This weekend.

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
Basically the last day of summer. Did everybody have a good weekend? The weather was great. I went to the range today with Brent and a friend from work, it was a good time. :D

derek said:
Basically the last day of summer. Did everybody have a good weekend? The weather was great. I went to the range today with Brent and a friend from work, it was a good time. :D

Worked.....But it was quiet. At least I was out and about.

Great weekend here. Machine gunning, binge drinking, bachelor partying hangover recovering and a nice trip to the range this morning.

If only life could be a perpetual weekend before marriage...

That's right Tony got married this weekend too. I haven't heard from him, I hope he survived the bachelor party. [twisted]

I had to keep going to work to make sure one of the machines was running. I went to the range, spent some time with my dog. nothing too special.

Boxer. His name is Tyson he just turned 14 months. He's my best friend. Take him everywhere with me.

tyson_ar15.jpg.w560h373.jpg

The wife and I have been trying to catch up on all the work around the homestead I haven't been able to do recovering from the surgury.
got alot of it done, but still more to do.
Getting off our butts on emergany prep too. (we are better off than most but trying to organize it better)
Good productive weekend.

Didn't make it too the range. Spent it with the family...going to to the park. Over to my wifes parents. Had a cook out on Saturday.

And SR, you were right. I was a little hungover on Sunday, not Monday like I planned. LOL!

But I was excited when I went in the cooler over at Yankee and they had Sam's Octoberfest in stock. The two beers that I love the most are Sam Summer and the Octoberfest.

My Wife has been a bit under the weather since mid-last week, so we didn't get as much done as we had hoped over the weekend.

We went to my Cousin's wedding on Saturday and cleaned out a portion of the basement on Monday. Much more cleaning to go so that the oil burner folks can bring a new burner in and install it within the next week. I'm trying hard to not just move stuff around but to actually sort and toss stuff out.

Was 'chore' weekend for me. Spent most of the weekend doing all those exterior house chores I kept putting off all summer because of the heat and humidity.

Unfortunately, I found a corner of the house had some serious rot and now I'm scrambling to find a local contractor/carpenter who can come in and fix this before the baby comes (like I'll have any free time after that) and not rake me over the coals for it. But finding anyone to do anything in short time is turning out to be impossible.

I love boxers. :D (gun ain't bad either T)

We went to a party at our re-enacting groups barn and I got to ride a couple of the horses. Then we did the Feast of the Three Saints in Lawrence (hubby's a member of the St. Alfio Society that puts it on) Saturday night and Sunday. Yesterday I worked on an outfit for mom (sewing).

All in all it was a nice, relaxing weekend.

Friday, I went to Callaghan's to pick up Pyrodex, a powder measure, caps, balls & wads for my new .44; wound up spending about $75 on everything.

Then I headed for VT. Got caught in a horrendous traffic jam on 495, so I bailed out on Rt 2 and went out to 91 and up 91 to 89.

Got to Ripton at about 6:30 and got to meet Nickel's wife, daughter, granddaughter, son-in-law, and several other biker-types. Nickel had been called up and might have had to go to NOLa but would be there later if possible. Got my canvas condo set up (the only tent I have is a 10x16 cabin tent left over from when I did more SCA events!) and joined folks around the campfire for dinner and conversation. the fire was tough to get started; it'd rained that week, so what could be gathered was damp and the delivery of a half cord, split, that was expected was delayed until Saturday.

Saturday I went out to get a capper for my .44, something I didn't get. Drooled for a while at all the nice guns in the gun shop (I really hate Tom Finneran and Tom Reilly, have I ever mentioned that?). Got back to find a hearty, if somewhat smokey, fire going - the new wood was a little green, but it caught easily, so not a problem. Hung around camp BSing with folks. Since we were all bikers and liked to shoot, conversation hinged heavily on bikes and guns. Heaven. We were worried that Nickel would be deployed to NOLa, but it turned out that Washington didn't want to pay to send a mechanic - they though they had enough on the way - so he came back Saturday night and got to stay. Saturday night dinner was Alicia's Chicken Paprikash - delicious.

Sunday, I got up early and headed for Shelburne to pick up my niece, Liz. Mommy did not get told exactly what Uncle Ross and Liz were going to do, and mommy would be happier if she didn't know. [twisted] Until Liz turns 18, that is. I took the opportunity to use my sister's shower, since the camp site is primitive - no running water at all. So we got back at about 9:45 or so, and at around 10:30 we headed down the road to the gravel pit.

We set out a large tarp to let the brass land on (so cleanup would be easier) and put up a few portable tables to place the handguns on. the rifles went on the tarp, along with the magazines. We then spent some time loading magazines. I was appointed one of the RSO's since several of the folks there didn't know much about shooting. We set up plastic jugs and clay pigeons at several distances... and then...

It was shootin' time!!

We had up to 7 or 8 people crowding the firing line at any given time, shooting everything from .22s (a G-22 rifle, a Browning .22 pistol of some sort, my Ruger Mark 1, and a Davis .22WMR Derringer) up to .357 magnums & .45's and then the rifles... 2 AR-15's, a WASR-10 (I think - it was an AK clone, that's all I know... that, and it was fun to shoot :)), an SKS and a bolt-action .22.

WOO-HOO! What a Shutzenfest we had! We made them jugs dance, let me tell you. When we ended for the day, several hours later, and picked up brass, it took about 20-30 minutes at least to police the brass and get the jugs off the range. You should have seen all the holes in the plastic.

And in all the fun, Nickle and I forgot to shoot our Postal Targets until we were pretty wiped out... and we didn't really have any target holders, anyway. So we decided we'd do it separately at home.

That night, dinner was Nickel's pulled pork. Liz and I stayed until around 10:30 or so and then I took her home. I was so tired that I took her up on her offer of the couch in the living room. Went back on Monday and packed up and headed home around 1 PM and got home, tired and still smelling of wood smoke from the fire at around 5:00 PM.

All in all, an awesome weekend. Got to meet a bunch of new friends, got to shoot a bunch of neat hardware (I WANT a Walther G-22... next year), got to see my niece, got to shoot with her... Just a great weekend.

And about an hour after I got home, what did I see but our personal flock of turkeys walking into the backyard!

Photos of the shoot (and the turkeys) are at http://photobucket.com/albums/a29/canthsrider/Ripton/

Wow...hard to follow-up a post like that. Great pics too, looks like a lot of fun.

I spent the weekend riding around aimlessly when I could and catching up on reading and sleep I missed during my on-call week. Relaxation was the plan and I believe the plan was fulfilled. :)

Got out to the range Sunday morning and put a few hundred rounds through my Glock. I think I really need to start shopping around for a handgun that fits my hands better, and my grip keeps breaking (especially when the hands get sweatier). Still working on perfecting my grip in the meantime, with help and advice from Jim (thanks Jim!), and trying to remember to "take the curve at the speed I can make it".

Got to fire a couple of rounds through a S&W 500 (the 4" compensated barrel: http://firearms.smith-wesson.com/store/index.php3?cat=293531&item=864419&sw_activeTab=1). What a big bastard that handgun is. Woooo! Fun to shoot.

C-pher said:
Nice pictures. Looks like a lot of fun hardware.

And a lot of gun cleaning afterwards. :D

Ghu, don't remind me. The two black powder .44's got done right away so that there would be no danger of corrosion, but the rest of the hardware will get done this week.

I see I forgot to mention that Chris, Nickel's son-in-law, seems to have fallen in love with my Ruger P90... even though he's got about 8" on me (and probably about 50 lbs), the P90 seems to fit his hands, too. I told him that he'd have to get his own, though... I won't sell mine for love or money.

Ross

I've always wanted to fire a 500, but I know it's something I could only handle one round of. I have a hard enough time absorbing .45. I have cranky wrists...

how is it compared to .357 magnum out of a revolver with a 6" barrel?

I can only shoot one of those, too. It goes right up to my elbows and my hands go numb.

Kinda lame. I'm just grateful I can shoot .38 out of my .357s...

I am not that experianced but I have my Buddys 357 in my closet right now. All I can say is it felt like a diferant kind of recoile. ( 4 more days girl. Stay Calm)

I know- it's insane (talk about getting off topic) but it didn't hit me for real until today.

I mean, obviously I knew it was going to happen since I picked the date and the dress and whatever. But this morning I woke up and was like "holy schnoiky! I'm getting hitched in FOUR DAYS!!!!!"

Thanks TypeO for remembering. But don't think that being nice to me will stop me from using your AK... [wink]

YogSothoth said:
Got out to the range Sunday morning and put a few hundred rounds through my Glock. I think I really need to start shopping around for a handgun that fits my hands better, and my grip keeps breaking (especially when the hands get sweatier). Still working on perfecting my grip in the meantime, with help and advice from Jim (thanks Jim!), and trying to remember to "take the curve at the speed I can make it".

You mean Jim hasn't converted you to a 1911 man yet?? [lol]

I'm really surprised that you have been able to resist! If you shoot one or more of his 1911s, you'll become addicted!

LenS said:
You mean Jim hasn't converted you to a 1911 man yet?? [lol]

I'm really surprised that you have been able to resist! If you shoot one or more of his 1911s, you'll become addicted!

Between Howie and Jim (and almost everyone else at the Randy Cain class), I think I've been converted to the 1911. The only reason I haven't picked one up yet is my lack of funds, hehehe. It's on my list, though (along with a Bushmaster rifle). Someday...someday...

Back
Top Bottom