Thinking about first CCW

Viper22

NES Member
In anticipation of getting my LTC soon, I've been thinking of what I want to carry. I've got a few ideas, and if you have experience with any of these guns, feel free to chime in with advice.

1. Kahr MK9 - local gun shop had one for $500
2. S&W MP340 - I shot one at the S&W range, not too confident about follow up shot accuracy.
3. S&W 9mm - not sure what model, maybe CS

BTW, I'm 5'5", 150 lbs so I don't think I'll be able to conceal anything fullsize. Any other opinions on caliber or firearm, let me know.

I shot 100 rds through the 340 snubby, and I liked the size. I've also shot the M&P 9mm and .40 cal. I feel like the grips are too bulky for me.

Last edited:
Of the three choices, I would pick number 1. Another reason to consider is that Kahrs are on the "infamous AG list" and will be harder to obtain in years to come. I am assuming that this one is used but in good condition?

Mark L.

BTW, I'm 5'5", 150 lbs so I don't think I'll be able to conceal anything fullsize. Any other opinions on caliber or firearm, let me know.

I thought that too, but I was wrong. I'm 5'7" 165, and I carry a full size browning hi-power IWB under a T-shirt.

What you don't say is what your experience level is with handguns in the first place. If you're talking about a first pistol (as opposed to first carry), I'd go with none of those. If you want to learn how to shoot, start with a .22, preferably a K-Frame Smith & Wesson revolver.

I've got an MK9. It is a good gun, but rather specialized for pocket carry. If you are carrying in a belt holster, I'd get a K9 instead.

I shot 100 rds through the 340 snubby, and I liked the size. I've also shot the M&P 9mm and .40 cal. I feel like the grips are too bulky for me.

The CS series may not be for you then. I have a cs9 and the grip is very bulky. Actually more 'thick'. There are no replacement grips either unless you are inclined to fabricate your own from 3913 grips.

Kahr may be hard to find. I'd go with the snubby for now, so verstile as far as carry and round choices. It will holds it's value if you decide to part with it at a later date.

my decision was a J-frame

I have been reading this and one of the S&W forums for a year plus and made the decision the week before last and bought a 640CT. [I also own a M&P9 and a couple of other pistols.] I have a Smart Carry and am waiting for the Mika pocket holster to arrive.

There are many other good choices but it seemed like a large percentage of people have one [common summer gun], they are small, light and easily concealed. Common response from many is that if it's to much of a hassle to carry it then eventually you will stop doing so.

There is some great info in two other recent threads here. "Help school me on pocket pistols" and ".38 v. .380".

Bill

I've been shooting since the early 90's, more so in the past few years. I plan on pocket carrying during the summer, so the MK9 or the S&W snubby seem to be the way to go. As far as availability and price the S&W is the better choice, and I have experience with the gun...Although the trigger is so heavy. I've never shot a Kahr before, so I have no idea if I would like the gun or not.

Also, judging from past experience with pistols vs. revolvers, it seems I can get a follow up shot quicker with a pistol. Anyone else feel this way?

I've got an MK9 and a S&W 642. Of the two, I pick the MK9 for pocket carry. It is a bit heavy, though. However it has real sights, unlike the skinny gutter on the 642. I just can't hit beans with the 642.

The 642 requires a trigger job out of the box. The MK9 is ready to go as is.

I find the MK9 much easier to shoot accurately than the 642. The trigger pull is long on both, so I find that I have to stage the trigger to shoot accurately. Don't expect the Kahr trigger to be like a Glock -- it isn't. It is quite smooth, but much longer.

Hopefully the Kahr is still at the shop when I get home from college in a couple weeks [thinking], if not, I'm SOL until I find another.

I owned a Kahr PM40 once. I was not impressed with the build quality, the takedown procedure, or the overall design. It IS very concealable, but I'd sacrifice a little for better quality/reliability. Go with the snubby. Or you could pick up a used S&W 6906 for short $$$ or even a new M&P9c.

Chris

I've been carrying for about 30 years now. The most important thing that I've learned is you can carry any thing with the right belt and holster.

I started with a little 5 shot S&W model 37 and over the years spent more money than any sane man would, on guns and holsters, looking for the perfect carry. I've carried just about every type of handgun made.

I have 3 safes full of handguns also milk cases full of holsters and a pissed off wife to prove it.

I really hate to admit the fact that I'm curently carrying the exact same gun I started out with the model 37.

I have only been carrying for the last three years. I'm a big guy, with a belly. I have carried everything from a S&W 642 .38 special, Sigma SW40F, Glock 19, S&W 469, Ruger P85, to my current favorite my Ruger P345. It's a pretty big gun but slim enough for me to carry IWB in a good crossbreed holster with a Tshirt over. In my limitted number of years carrying, I think it's very much about the holster and where you carry on your body, more so than the gun itself. Though I also like to tell my fiance that's why I need a wide range of pistols. Just in case one doesn't go with my outfit, I'll have options. She doesn't really buy it, but I don't hassle her about shoes either.

Back
Top Bottom