• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

There are 3.2M AR-15's in civilian hands in the US

The NICS check is for long guns, handguns or frames (other). The make and model is on the 4473 which stays with the dealer. No way that anyone can come up with a number. Maybe they just took a guess. Jack.

Probably just used manufacturer and distributor numbers for the past few years. But, as stated, that doesn't count any of the homebrews. Only one of my 3 ever went on a 4437. How many lowers can a company produce in a week? With a CNC mill cutting them from blanks. I would think the companies collectively could produce 10s of thousands in a week. Yet we were seeing wait times as long as several months during the craziness. There is probably north of 50 mil ARs in the country by now.

It's way north of that number. Every person I know that owns more than a couple of guns owns an AR15. Several of them own multiples. If you go by the federal definition of a firearm and count lowers, it's WAY north of there.

Last edited:
I personally own 3 million of them, so i know that number is incorrect..
Funny to the media everythings an ar15 or a glock.

Id be shock if there werent 7 to 10 million of them..
And if we were going by the new definition of an "assult weapon " semi,detachable mag, one asasinine feature...theres got to be 90 of them
Ohh an ar stands for assult rifle which is the same as assult weapon...dont you know. Please wont somone think of the children

Yet, none of them killed anyone today.
Where is CNN for that breaking news??

That number is meant to sound too high, but low enough that an order for mass confiscation won't inconvenience the vast majority of Americans.

Last edited:
I own one that went on a 4437, The rest are from 80% lowers. I still have two more that are not milled yet.

I would like to know how many 80% lowers were made just by Tactical Machining. Add in the other 80% makers
and then you might get a more accurate number of ARs out there.

Malodave

Last edited:
That number is absurdly low.

With 180-200 million gun owners in the U.S., I'd venture a guess that at least half of them own at least one AR-15.

Please remember that the AR-15 has been available for purchase since 1963. Guardian data only goes back to 2000. Other data sited is most likely also incomplete. This, of course, does not count the complete your own receivers. I'm not sure that 50% of gun owners have an AR-15, but I'm sure many gun owners have more than one.

Please remember that the AR-15 has been available for purchase since 1963. Guardian data only goes back to 2000. Other data sited is most likely also incomplete. This, of course, does not count the complete your own receivers. I'm not sure that 50% of gun owners have an AR-15, but I'm sure many gun owners have more than one.

I can only think of one person who owned a AR prior to 1990 back then it seemed like everyone's dad had at least a few guns. I also remember slightly 223 was not exactly cheap. Seemed to be more 222 rems around then also. The 90s where odd. There where not to many people in my 20s buying guns. I took a 10 year lapse in shooting then. Not until I bought my house did I get back into shooting and buying. .....I didn't decide to get a AR until 2008. It had nothing to do with politics or bans.....ammo was cheap! Well for a little while.

The popularity has grown for sure I just don't think it is as big as we would like to think.

When I show up at my club ( which is not often) I see the same 10-15 folks. Very few have ARs.
One club runs a AR match.....lucky to see 4 people. Last match there where 3.

I see a shit ton of new 22lr guns and more people shooting 22s . I also have had a re kindled interest in 22lr ....like shooting it at 200 yards it's really fun.

Last edited:
I own one that went on a 4437, The rest are from 80% lowers. I still have two more that are not milled yet.

I would like to know how many 80% lowers were made just by Tactical Machining. Add in the other 80% makers
and then you might get a more accurate number of ARs out there.

Malodave
I wonder what the success rate is in converting 80% lowers. Some must get screwed up beyond usability, and others are still sitting in various nooks and crannies.

Well I feel these numbers are very disturbing. Wikipedia has North Korea as having a total military number of 7.6 million. There needs to be a lot more buying going on. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_military_and_paramilitary_personnel

I want to start a charity to provide financial assistance to anyone who wants to buy an AR (from an FFL, for their own use). And advertise it, if for the sole purpose to piss off antis.

ARs for Americans

I wonder what the success rate is in converting 80% lowers. Some must get screwed up beyond usability, and others are still sitting in various nooks and crannies.

On a Bridgeport Mill with DROs, We have the process refined to 1 hr to completely mill the 80% lower.
Have the lower cerakoted and you are ready to assemble.

I am building a table top CNC that should mill the fire control cavity without a tool change in about an hour.
The Bridgeport has three tool changes, not including the Trigger, Hammer, and Safety cross drill and ream operations.

Malodave

I bought some and a jig and have done 5 now. I made a few mistakes but all 5 are fully functional. I have not built them out but they function check as fine. I had never done it before either. I would say the number of destroyed lowers while milling them out would be less than 20% just based on my personal experience.

Back
Top Bottom