The unwashed having night-vision gear "a problem"

I think those are the setups that run about $20K+ each (and I'm not real sure this ... but I thought they might only be available to LEO & Military?)

I want that cool shit.

a-night-vision-eyes.jpg

But I'm not equal enough any longer. :(

L-3 GPNVG-18 - ANVIS

So just so Im understanding this set up, you arent getting a cheek weld and looking down the rifle through the sights or optic, youre looking at the IR beam and using it to aim similar to when you have a Crimson trace on a pistol, other than the fact that you can see the whole beam rather than just the dot.

Or is the PVS mounted to the rifle? Im assuming its mounted on a helmet and hanging in front of my eyeball which would make it awkward to shoot as you normally would I would think.

You can mount a PVS14 to a rifle behind a red dot, but it limits what you can see to what you are pointing your rifle at. Mounting it to a helmet is much more useful, and then you would use an IR laser for aiming. There are really tall red dot mount risers that are becoming the trend, and if you are using dual tubes they work well.

I think those are the setups that run about $20K+ each (and I'm not real sure this ... but I thought they might only be available to LEO & Military?)

More money. Last time I was out night shooting I got to actually use a set of 18's (my buddy is in the industry), they are AMAZING. I honestly can't really begin to explain how awesome they are.

You can mount a PVS14 to a rifle behind a red dot, but it limits what you can see to what you are pointing your rifle at. Mounting it to a helmet is much more useful, and then you would use an IR laser for aiming. There are really tall red dot mount risers that are becoming the trend, and if you are using dual tubes they work well.

Yes, that's what I have seen is the general consensus in the NVG community = not to put your expensive PVS14 on a weapon (and to use it helmet mounted), and to instead use IR laser on your weapon, or if you really wanted a weapon mounted NV optic to get a scope of some kind instead.

It won’t be long before they try to control and ban “military grade” foot wear.

I only wish I was being sarcastic.

You're supposed to be grateful to be allowed to wrap rags around your feet like a medieval serf.

Guy I worked with swore there was a conspiracy where the Weather Channel was colluding with supermarkets to drive people to stock up on food before any and every weather event regardless of its magnitude. Kind of felt the same way where I was never really all that committed to picking up body armor or NV or whatever until there is talk of a ban and then I absolutely need it.

The Weather Channel markets every storm as TEOTWAWKI, it's good for ratings. Naming snowstorms after ancient gods is the part that's a Thor point with me.

Its just funny, coming after semi autos, body armor, night vision, or firearm accessories....the truth is knowledge is the real power/danger...

While you can attempt to restrict material things.... motivated intelegent people are the most dangerious of weapons.

We can try and take care of one another better, but trying to stop crazyness and hate is like trying to wrestle the moon from the heavens

It all obtainable the issue is warranty.

Also, the Gen-3 white phosphor is the way to go (over the Gen-3 green phosphor):

Night%20Flight%2003%20-%201080p.Still009.jpg
20822170146_9331f2e4dd_c.jpg

While i have the 3+ white ...that photo is advertising bullshit.... the specs of the tube is more relevent than white vs green.

While i have the 3+ white ...that photo is advertising bullshit.... the specs of the tube is more relevent than white vs green.
True, there is a very wide margin of image quality across Gen3+ NVG's. I had a chance to play with an ENVG (thermal over I^2) and THAT was cool

Those pics are generic internet pic examples. Obviously they cannot show the real world visual capabilities of gen-3 night vision.

And Of course the specs of ... white OR green .... tubes is a very key point. Anyone who owns gen-3 nods is very well aware of that.

Last edited:
I debated buying the thermal overlay.. maybe even used equipment to compliment my pvs14s...but from a cost vs performance standpoint it wasnt worth it.
It would be cool , but since i already have dual pvs14s and an IR patrol..im good

[QUOTE="NHCraigT, post:

I like the flashlight on a lanyard..l should have gone that way over a deticated helmet light

I picked up a 1st Gen ATN Spartan IR Night Vision Scope for $375 at the Manchester Gun Show.
It seems fine, although I have not shot anything with it mounted yet.

I would like to get a ThermalSight, but putting out Thousands for one is a road block for me.

Malodave

Yeah, a lot of the time the different images of WP tubes are filmless while the greens are filmed. Big difference, still 3rd Gen.

Mice running around in my chicken coop at about 25 yards on summer night.

I am probably going to go hot on one of these scopes after shotshow, hopefully all the new hotness being released drives the prices down on all the things I want on the market right now.

Back
Top Bottom