the town of west boylston is unbelievable

I went to Wayne's to shoot today to find out that they now do not allow shooting on Sundays. They said that this was the compromise with the town.

A couple things:

1) Don't the police practice there? It would be good to have them on our side here.

2) There is a "rail trail" behind the range. Lots of PBS'ers and conservation commission types walk, run, and bike there. Maybe they are contributing to this.

3) Wayne is in the right here, and the town is in the wrong, no matter who doesn't like the noise all of a sudden. It has been there a long time.

Yes, I know that he is being nice to those arseholes, But in the end they will want attempt to take more. Give up nothing!!!

This! I will go to meetings if given enough notice.

no. they have a range next door practically i guess. which makes this even more retarded. its fine that the police shoot down the street. but not us at wayne's......hmmmm......

In which case, it would still be good to reach out to them. ...

I drove through West Boylston the other day. I notice there are at least 4 different people running for Selectman.

Make it an issue of CIVIL RIGHTS there!

This is tomorrow night, right? Has GOAL sent anything out yet?

Need to rally the W. Boylston people to go out and oppose this affront on civil rights.

Maybe if any of you go to Walmart today, you can put up a flyer near the ammo case. ;-)

Last edited:
So, rumor has it something has happened with this. Anyone from West Boylston have any idea? Was there ever a meeting?

when shooting he should chain across his driveway and hang a sign on it that he is legally shooting, citing the law, state there is no entering without a warrant and to GTFO

Well, guess I'm not going to go plinking there with the boy tomorrow. Can't plink at my range. Will have to go find some patch of space in the woods somewhere.

So let me get this straight, a property owner allows discharge of firearms on his property, at something he designates as a "range", State law says that this designation preempts most local ordinances, yet the town is pressing the issue? On what grounds?

So let me get this straight, a property owner allows discharge of firearms on his property, at something he designates as a "range", State law says that this designation preempts most local ordinances, yet the town is pressing the issue? On what grounds?

....from my conversation with Wayne this past Tuesday , Town interpreted his private range as a part of his gun shop/ business. In his special permit for the shop to be on his property the range was never part of the agreement . I believe that is why the c&d will come from the building inspector.

He can still obviously use the range for private use with friend and families, but he or a family member has to be always physically present .

It cannot be linked to the day to day business of his gun shop-- like people that use the range for free but ending up buying ammo from his store.

Wayne is the nicest guy... Everyone that visit his shop he treats like a friend or family .

So we talked about maybe having a friend and family shoot on a day his shop is closed....maybe start with a Sunday 50BMG Day or a Wild West Wednesday.

.....again this is just my interpretation, IANAL...YMMV.

....from my conversation with Wayne this past Tuesday , Town interpreted his private range as a part of his gun shop/ business. In his special permit for the shop to be on his property the range was never part of the agreement . I believe that is why the c&d will come from the building inspector.

He can still obviously use the range for private use with friend and families, but he or a family member has to be always physically present .

It cannot be linked to the day to day business of his gun shop-- like people that use the range for free but ending up buying ammo from his store.

Wayne is the nicest guy... Everyone that visit his shop he treats like a friend or family .

So we talked about maybe having a friend and family shoot on a day his shop is closed....maybe start with a Sunday 50BMG Day or a Wild West Wednesday.

.....again this is just my interpretation, IANAL...YMMV.

What I would love to know is what did the town have for regulations with regards to opening a gun range, at the time his range was established? Furthermore, unless he charges for access, how can it be part of his business? Also, last I checked, if I wanted to let friends hunt or shoot, or do f--ckall on MY property (provided it was legal with regards to setbacks, and the activities themselves were legal) what right does the town have to say anything about it just because some new people move in to the neighborhood and were not aware of the activities!

A bunch of neighbors complained that noise has increased. They met with a selectman, the COP and the TA in early Feb but I have heard nothing since. I might take a drive over there later thus week and see what the latest is.

As long as he makes it a "range", and complies with the noise regulations in effect at the time it opens, he is protected from future noise ordinances.

Much of the issue of gun noise is not the actual noise, but the complainers being bothered because they know the source of the noise is evil killy guns.

here we go again, some one move in, they want to shut it down to keep it going we have to keep it going.

Did anyone just tell them to just FOAD? I'm tired of these cheeseheads thinking they can just move into an area that has a history of firearms being shot and then convince the town that the people that were there before them have to cease and desist.

People like this just piss me off to no end and I have zero tolerance for them.

I just moved into West Boylston and there's a train that runs behind my house.... like 4 times a day... sometimes at night. I'm going to have to shut those MF'ers down.

Wayne is a great guy. I purchased my first pistol (not from him) and me and a buddy just showed up one day, i think the shop was closed because he was sitting on his back porch with the family. We asked if we could use the range and i believe he said "Sure, go right ahead". prior to me pulling up into his driveway i had never met the man, and had only heard about him through some friends that did paintball. Great guy. I'll have to swing by in the near future and say hello again.

REF: Posts 77, 86, 90

C&D coming from a building inspector's angle ...part of his business and all. Perhaps Rob's right (86), formalize it. Too bad that he has to, but he'd gain a better fighting stance if he did that. I bought ammo there on many occasions when I used to travel 140 ...hop on off of 2 ...through Princeton to Wormtown.

A response before I got to the end of the thread ...

Being "Reasonable" with these Arseholes is not the answer, They will push for more. So not shooting on Sundays is the wrong thing to do as they will confuse consideration and kindness as a weakness.

I have to agree here. My Club went through something similar in the spring of 2012 ...citizen's group formed and all ...the "leader" of which had moved into the neighborhood in February of 2012 ...from ...wait for it ...Massachusetts. A PD Chief in the neighboring town (we're on the town line) was starting to act as a mediary ...oofah, ex Navy SEAL anti ...ouch. In any case, the "leader" of this group wanted to get a granola buddy of her's ...a professional mediator to have a sit down. My response was, OK, so you want something from us ...what are you going to sacrifice or bring to the table? ...silence. Riiiight ...how about BJs for all of the guys every Sunday? Go pound sand. Of course, we've been shooting cannons and mortars since 1947 ...a bit different, and we do have courtesy hours on Sundays (the Quakers are across the street), but our hand was never forced, it was our decision out of respect. After communication with the selectmen and town attorney, and referencing the proper RSAs, ...that group is gone, and the leader is 6 feet under.

JWP's right, complying will only be interpreted as weakness, not as urbane civility.

You know, when people are too busy dealing with their own $hit, they don't have the time to get into yours. Make them busy ...there are plenty of BS rules on the books, and they must be breaking some of them. Know the rules and you can exploit them to your advantage. And if not, create chaos ...do not give an inch if at all possible.

Last edited:
I still don't see how the range was "illegal" setbacks were more than observed, he did not collect fees for use, so it is not commercial, rather it is a courtesy. Sort of akin to a boat service center allowing public use of their launch at no charge with all liability on the user. (Although that is not a direct parallel)

This is utter asshattery.

Well, cease and desist has been handed to Wayne effective today. If you go to The West Boylston Banner Facebook page there is a discussion regarding this. One guy stated they are now looking for donations to defray the cost of the lawyers. Classic

Another poster just commented Yea. Hie is the owner of a business here in town about as far away as you can get. In other threads in a town based FB page he had made complaints about noise. **** him, he'll never see another penny from me

OP has 30 days from the date of the order to appeal it to the zoning board of appeals, don't miss the deadline. See MGL ch 40A ss 8 and 15.

Thank You for the acknowledgement. I would like to hope that others get it. It is long past time to dig in, So now no quarter can be given when dealing with these arseholes.

OP has 30 days from the date of the order to appeal it to the zoning board of appeals, don't miss the deadline. See MGL ch 40A ss 8 and 15.

Has anyone communicated any of this with a) Wayne, b) GOAL, c) Comm2A?

I am on a plane to Oregon at the moment, I would be down at Wayne's with printed copies of the laws, and some moral support (if not financial were it not for the $5k I just dumped into my wife's car)

Back
Top Bottom