• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

the town of west boylston is unbelievable

jerryhipp

NES Member
i was at my buddy wayne's yesterday. he owns waynes weaponery in west boylston. i was informed someone in his neighborhood started a partition to stop him from allowing his friends shoot on his land. and now the town of west boylston is trying to force him to stop shooting on his property. they say he cant have a gun range in a residential area. im a bit confused here. how is it a range? he doesn't charge any fees! he doesn't require a membership! he just allows his friends, family, and maybe some loyal customers to shoot on HIS private land. how does this make it a range? how can the town force him to stop shooting or allowing others to shoot on his private land. he told this to the town and they said they don't care and he will have to stop! can goal or comm2a help with this situation? any advice? lens?

If they don't have any restrictions in the town, as long as he's 500 ft from other houses, etc. I don't think they can do anything. They might try to pass some restrictions as a result though.

i was at my buddy wayne's yesterday. he owns waynes weaponery in west boylston. i was informed someone in his neighborhood started a partition to stop him from allowing his friends shoot on his land. and now the town of west boylston is trying to force him to stop shooting on his property. they say he cant have a gun range in a residential area. im a bit confused here. how is it a range? he doesn't charge any fees! he doesn't require a membership! he just allows his friends, family, and maybe some loyal customers to shoot on HIS private land. how does this make it a range? how can the town force him to stop shooting or allowing others to shoot on his private land. he told this to the town and they said they don't care and he will have to stop! can goal or comm2a help with this situation? any advice? lens?

oh wtf, I love waynes. If anything comes of this and there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. I'm not a WB resident so I doubt there is, but if anything comes up...

Last edited:
A bunch of neighbors complained that noise has increased. They met with a selectman, the COP and the TA in early Feb but I have heard nothing since. I might take a drive over there later thus week and see what the latest is.

from what im hearing it was a doctor neighbor who started this. i just hate people who move into a neighborhood and want everything to change to appease them. you dont buy a home next to a farm and try to shut the farm down because of the smell. wayne has been their forever, and is the nicest guy on the planet. its not fair that some anti neighbor can move in and just screw him over.

from what im hearing it was a doctor neighbor who started this. i just hate people who move into a neighborhood and want everything to change to appease them. you dont buy a home next to a farm and try to shut the farm down because of the smell. wayne has been their forever, and is the nicest guy on the planet. its not fair that some anti neighbor can move in and just screw him over.

This is what happened with a lot of dragstrips. They buy property near them because prices are low then get them shut down because of noise [frown]

This is what happened with a lot of dragstrips. They buy property near them because prices are low then get them shut down because of noise [frown]

I think dragstrips disappeared more so due to lack of money. Does anyone even go to those types of races anymore? I have never been to one but as a boy, the Norwood strip put me to sleep at night.

Skulen iz besd lefd tu teechuz.

I spoke to Wayne the other day and he did say we were good to shoot but could not shoot on sundays, he said neighbors have been complaining about people shooting all day on sunday

Keep us posted, dude. If this goes to a town meeting level, I'll be glad to sit outside and protest - even as a Charlton guy. The more they encroach, the more we lose. Everyone ought to take this fight on.

I've used Wayne for some transfers in the past and he was a great guy to deal with. If they are complaining about noise on Sunday is there something about only being able to shoot at a range on Sundays? (I didn't click any links above and only going on memory) There was a similar situation years back when they started developing land near the Leominster Sportsmans Assoc. and people who were buying the new houses were complaining about the noise. WTF. Maybe I should buy a house next to the highway and then complain about all the noise from the cars.

I cant believe this is even a issue. Wayne has been there doing his own thing for a LONG time and now its a problem? Like others have said Wayne is the nicest guy out there. If theres anything I can do I will do it to help.

W Boylston used to be a farm town, not unlike Northborough and Marlborough. It has slowly over the past 30 years morphed into a haven for moonbats. It is now like a mini Cambridge or Concord.
All three of my kids went to school there through the school choice program and most of the population there have no idea about the real world at all and think the world ends at the town line.
They tried to screw with Walmart over stocking shelves at night. Walmart told them they would close the store. Walmart is the largest tax payer in the town. The town backed down.

Only resealable solution is a 50 bmg shoot all day on a Sunday those a**holes will be begging for 223 and 308 after that

If they don't have any restrictions in the town, as long as he's 500 ft from other houses, etc. I don't think they can do anything. They might try to pass some restrictions as a result though.

500 ft is only for "hunting", there is no distance requirement for a "range". This came out of the Northboro(?) kerfuffle over a range near homes.

500 ft is only for "hunting", there is no distance requirement for a "range". This came out of the Northboro(?) kerfuffle over a range near homes.

Where does C. 269, S. 12E state that 500' only applies to hunting?

Section 12E. Whoever discharges a firearm as defined in section one hundred and twenty-one of chapter one hundred and forty, a rifle or shotgun within five hundred feet of a dwelling or other building in use, except with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty nor more than one hundred dollars or by imprisonment in a jail or house of correction for not more than three months, or both. The provisions of this section shall not apply to (a) the lawful defense of life and property; (b) any law enforcement officer acting in the discharge of his duties; (c) persons using underground or indoor target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof; (d) persons using outdoor skeet, trap, target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant of the land on which the range is established; (e) persons using shooting galleries, licensed and defined under the provisions of section fifty-six A of chapter one hundred and forty; and (f) the discharge of blank cartridges for theatrical, athletic, ceremonial, firing squad, or other purposes in accordance with section thirty-nine of chapter one hundred and forty-eight.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section12E

Be "Reasonable" with these Arseholes is not the answer, They will push for more. So not shooting on Sundays is the wrong thing to do as they will confuse consideration and kindness as a weakness.

I agree 1000% with Joe on this. I've seen it at clubs I've belonged to. Give an inch and they will take a mile.

MA noise law is "quiet hours" are from 10PM to 7AM, 7 days/week. No special carve-out for Sundays. There is a range noise protection law, widely ignored by local towns, but it is state law. Wasn't there the recent court case in Natick? that ruled that a range is whatever you call a range (in other words, you don't need town approval to build a range).

What's really maddening is that even if he prevails in the end, it's going to cost him time and money going up against people
who have all the time and money to spare.

Guys, pay attention, this is the same thing that has happened in Wayland, Reading, Northborough, Edgartown and Yarmouth in the last year alone. Edgartown just backed down from including an article on their town meeting warrant, Reading is ongoing but so far it's been stopped, Wayland was stopped, Northborough was stopped and lastly we're still working to stop Yarmouth's proposal which would not only ban shooting on private property but would force Bass River to stop operations.

If anyone has info regarding W.Boylston please email it to [email protected] so GOAL can get word out.

Anyone else starting to thing someone is organizing the town level battles?

sounds like some asshat moved in, recently, and wants to put an end to something "scary"...smh

A bunch of neighbors complained that noise has increased. They met with a selectman, the COP and the TA in early Feb but I have heard nothing since. I might take a drive over there later thus week and see what the latest is.

ugh. there's a development going in across from my range. I know it's just a matter of time before they try to shut it down.

reminds me of when I lived in VT and transplants from MA, NJ, etc. always tried to ban hunting. they would go so far as to walk through the woods with cowbells and cymbals, making as much noise as possible to drive off the deer.

Why should it cost him money? Where are the folks that pushed the Range Protection Law? They want everyone else to defend that law?

Eventually these things find their way to town hearings/meetings and it's never resolved in just one or two sessions.

Is he going to have to take time off from work to deal with that and any other incidental BS that goes along with it?

Back
Top Bottom