The Stars Aligned and Wonderful Things Happened....Winchester M1 Garand

No dice; he wants guns going out, not in. No big deal, I'll just put it on the trader. There was a little hang up on the tilt test, enough not to fall when vertical. Seems a little rubbing somewhere. Small thing as the bore is in good shape.

Stock serial number is stamped inside the stock.

Re-uploaded full size pics.

T

I'm curious about the serial number stamped inside your stock.

It may be an Overton (read: International Harvester) stock.

It would have four digits stamped in the barrel channel--a "julian calendar" date.

It would be stamped in the barrel channel, up in the fore end.

ETA: That's a handsome Garand. I have some pristine-looking Garands, but all in all, that kind of patina is where it's at.

Last edited:
Anyone have a Springfield, HRA, or IHC Garand with a Winchester Op-Rod they'd be willing to swap with me? Mine is a post war SA. From what I'm seeing price wise, the Winchester 'premium' runs $75-100 over a Springfield, which of course I'd be willing to pay.

T

Anyone have a Springfield, HRA, or IHC Garand with a Winchester Op-Rod they'd be willing to swap with me? Mine is a post war SA. From what I'm seeing price wise, the Winchester 'premium' runs $75-100 over a Springfield, which of course I'd be willing to pay.

T

I went looking around over at the CMP forum, to see what they might have--then I saw your ad (lol).

Maybe check in with the guy who sells Garand parts at the Marlboro show--he parts out Garands. I have his business card around somewhere, if you need contact info.

If you hit a scratch ticket, you could always buy this one:

http://www.ammogarand.com/m1-garand-op-rod-winchester-d35382wra-slant-cut-wwii-wra-1353821944.html

Good luck.

I was offered two on the CMP forum from the same guy; $450 and $375 for uncut/cut. They are averaging $225/250 on eBay and GunBroker.

WG, PM me the info; doesn't hurt for me to ask.
T

Last edited:
Took the Springfield to the range to try the new front sight. After two enblocs I realized it was a moot point as I hadn't tightened the front sight enough and it had almost drifted off the rifle on the right side. Elevation is still 0/1 click, but now in the center of the black. The 10 on the right target was my last shot, manually centering the front sight.

I'll wait awhile before trying again, the recoil was a little much for my neck.

T

Took the Springfield to the range to try the new front sight. After two enblocs I realized it was a moot point as I hadn't tightened the front sight enough and it had almost drifted off the rifle on the right side. Elevation is still 0/1 click, but now in the center of the black. The 10 on the right target was my last shot, manually centering the front sight.

I'll wait awhile before trying again, the recoil was a little much for my neck.

T

Without knowing the actual change in sight height I would guess that the new sight was not much taller.
I would look to stock fit? Also consider doing the 1000 INCH test... If you fail that test there's something more than front sight height.

Wondering if your rear sight isn't going down all the way?

Seems odd. Every Garand I've sighted in at 100 yards goes up 8-12 clicks to get somewhere near zero.

Have you taken the sight apart to check for any inconsistencies?

Seems odd. Every Garand I've sighted in at 100 yards goes up 8-12 clicks to get somewhere near zero.

good point also..... I have had a few M1s with so much sand and crud under the sight retainer It was amazing it didnt bind.

I have drawings for lots of parts of the M1..... No front sight though.
From what I have gathered the front sight measured from bottom to top of blade is roughly .725"? There has to be a "standard " somewhere.

Nothing to see here...

Not too worried; normal 6:00 hold gets me in the middle of the black.

T

Attachments

• DSCN6095.jpg
    DSCN6095.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 7
I never understand you people who 'sell' or 'trade in' guns. Even though I ran out of room 5 guns ago I can't imagine getting rid of any. I can't even bring myself to chop down one of my POS nagants for the obrez I want to build. I will just wait until I find anouther one...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
For me it's been a mix of caliber consolidation and passing on guns I don't shoot for ones I will. I only have so much money, so sometimes I can't avoid it if I want to get something new

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

For me it's been a mix of caliber consolidation and passing on guns I don't shoot for ones I will. I only have so much money, so sometimes I can't avoid it if I want to get something new]

Ditto. I wanted 2 Garands...1 Winchester and 1 Springfield.

T

I have drawings for lots of parts of the M1..... No front sight though.
From what I have gathered the front sight measured from bottom to top of blade is roughly .725"? There has to be a "standard " somewhere.

For the entire sight, I get about 18.5mm, .728, or 23/32nds, which matches your numbers. But still 0/1 click. I always seem to get the unusual ones.

T

For the entire sight, I get about 18.5mm, .728, or 23/32nds, which matches your numbers. But still 0/1 click. I always seem to get the unusual ones.

T

At that point it's a stock fit issue or bent barrel.... make sure your front Ferrell is nice and snug... although if it's hitting where you want that's all that matters... when I build my 308 M1 i want the rear sight to be 2 clicks up for 100 yard zero so I can get a good cheak weld. Right now my lowest is my current build/jcg match Rifle at 10 clicks for 200 yards.

I have not taken the time to buy a sight and modify it.

Last edited:
Think I got it all figured out. Went back today, beautiful shooting conditions - 53F, brilliant sun, no clouds. '69 HXP and benched. Fussed left and right until I got those three high left out of the blue. I had moved the rear sight too far, and found the elevation screw loose after last night - - we were about 4 clicks up. Put it back to zero clicks and aimed a little low and they were the three low ones.

T

Last edited:
Nice...well as long as it shoots as well as you like and you don't mind where the rear. aperture is everything is good... I still would take a good look at the lower band and how the stock is fitting. With out eyes on the rifle it's tough to go on...

Mac, PM me. I can come for a visit. Maybe next week when I have the Winchester.

Fixed pic at home.

T

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom