The Stars Aligned and Wonderful Things Happened....Winchester M1 Garand

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Got the staples out of my neck yesterday and was cleared to drive after 9 days. Same surgery 10 years ago kept me down 6 weeks. Progress in action.

Went to my LGS to get a couple of boxes of .32acp JHP to try in the PPk.

There was a Garand behind the counter; well its mine now. I finally am getting my Winchester. May '44 receiver, Lock-Bar rear sight, RA-P stock, WRA-TG and barrel, SA-19 bolt, SA-12 cut op rod. Only downer is the bore which seems a little rough (not true; bore is good). Needs a spring job; the bolt won't close under its own inertia.

I put $200 down. Question now is, do I pay it off or trade in my '41 SA for the rest? I don't think I really need three Garands.

Went to the range and shot a box of Hornady 60gr JHPs, moving back to 50 feet. Very hard to see the target/white out; bright sun and no clouds. Had to push the slide forward a snitch five times to set the round in the chamber, but no misfeeds - got better as time went on. Ordered a new recoil spring from Wolff which should settle things.

So, three or two Garands...I do like the early SN I have...

It's funny, when you're not looking for something it falls into your lap. First the PPk, now the Winchester.

T

Last edited:
I never understand you people who 'sell' or 'trade in' guns. Even though I ran out of room 5 guns ago I can't imagine getting rid of any. I can't even bring myself to chop down one of my POS nagants for the obrez I want to build. I will just wait until I find anouther one...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Double check that oprod to make sure it's not all bent up! Nothing wrong with a little horse trading to get what you want. Glad you're feeling better.

please dont trade the 41 just sell it here for cost....

As for your winchester you could always rebarrel it?

You could keep the 41 for extra parts...

No dice; he wants guns going out, not in. No big deal, I'll just put it on the trader. There was a little hang up on the tilt test, enough not to fall when vertical. Seems a little rubbing somewhere. Small thing as the bore is in good shape.

Stock serial number is stamped inside the stock.

Re-uploaded full size pics.

T

Last edited:
Someone created a thread recently in the firearms section about wanting an M1 from CMP. I would think it wouldn't be tough to move it. Congrats on the Winchester. Range report when?

Range report as soon as I sell my '41 and install the Orion spring kit. I also want to chase down that little hang up on the op-rod.

T

Nah, don't need four. Got my Winnie and a sharp Springfield. Not interested in an IHC or HRA. Still need that last Mauser, but things keep getting in the way.

T

No dice; he wants guns going out, not in. No big deal, I'll just put it on the trader. There was a little hang up on the tilt test, enough not to fall when vertical. Seems a little rubbing somewhere. Small thing as the bore is in good shape.

Stock serial number is stamped inside the stock.

Re-uploaded full size pics.

T

Tilt test is over rated. Real test is if the rifle functions during live fire.

Picked up a moderate finish complete WRA bolt off eBay for $70. Already rebuilt with new extractor and plunger. Only part I'll change. I'll keep the SA-19 as a spare or sell it if someone needs it.

T

Picked up a moderate finish complete WRA bolt off eBay for $70. Already rebuilt with new extractor and plunger. Only part I'll change. I'll keep the SA-19 as a spare or sell it if someone needs it.

T

Might want to check your headspace when you get that new bolt.

I never understand you people who 'sell' or 'trade in' guns. Even though I ran out of room 5 guns ago I can't imagine getting rid of any. I can't even bring myself to chop down one of my POS nagants for the obrez I want to build. I will just wait until I find anouther one...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

We trade up upgrade our collections or use equity to change focus. I have (had) two SA Springfields. The '41 sold on our forum in under an hour. What I really wanted is a Winchester (as does everyone else), and they are really hard to come by. Winchester made the fewest Garands; only 250,000 compared to 6 million by SA alone, and 428K by H&R, and 338K by IHC. My son is not interested in shooting. I don't need three, and save for paying the 'premium' of the Winchester name I came out even. I recently sold 13 pieces (1/4) of my collection, narrowing my focus from general WWI and II to mostly German and American WWI and II. My pet project is to collect all 10 makes of German WW2 K98s. At $1000+ per example I have to let some pieces go in order to concentrate on my main interest. The sale netted five of the remaining six Mausers I need, although there are three more special variants I would also like to get. I could have had the last Mauser, but I interrupted the search to net two other pieces high on my list - a Walther PPk and the Winnie.

T

Last edited:
wouldn't lose any sleep over not headspacing it and wouldn't hesitate to shoot it with either bolt.

Not all Garand bolts created equal....sometimes swapping bolts can fix a headspace issue...or introduce a headspace issue. That's why it's important to check headspace when swapping bolts. I have experienced installing a -2 bolt into a rifle in an effort to "correct" it and it no longer closing on go gauge.

Shortest- SA-12s, Winchester and PB bolts(Same as Winchester).
Then -14 SA
-19 SA
65-series
and finally -2 SA bolts were the longest

wouldn't lose any sleep over not headspacing it and wouldn't hesitate to shoot it with either bolt.

Yup lots of folks use the "if the round chambers " is good enough for me test.
I'm not one of them. I like to know if my rifle at least passes a field gauge....

I'll remember to ask when I pick it up. Mac, maybe we can meet up some day soon and check the head space and the slight stick in the op-rod.

T

I'll remember to ask when I pick it up. Mac, maybe we can meet up some day soon and check the head space and the slight stick in the op-rod.

T

Possible.... the head space is best checked with a stripped bolt I have go and no go.... I don't have a field.
I will be at Pembroke on the 16th I can,bring my gauges.?
Also the guys down Hanson on 1st Sat and 3 rd Sunday often have their tools with them. They like checking out guns...

Got the staples out of my neck yesterday and was cleared to drive after 9 days. Same surgery 10 years ago kept me down 6 weeks. Progress in action.

Went to my LGS to get a couple of boxes of .32acp JHP to try in the PPk.

There was a Garand behind the counter; well its mine now. I finally am getting my Winchester. May '44 receiver, Lock-Bar rear sight, RA-P stock, WRA-TG and barrel, SA-19 bolt, SA-12 cut op rod. Only downer is the bore which seems a little rough (not true; bore is good). Needs a spring job; the bolt won't close under its own inertia.

I put $200 down. Question now is, do I pay it off or trade in my '41 SA for the rest? I don't think I really need three Garands.

Went to the range and shot a box of Hornady 60gr JHPs, moving back to 50 feet. Very hard to see the target/white out; bright sun and no clouds. Had to push the slide forward a snitch five times to set the round in the chamber, but no misfeeds - got better as time went on. Ordered a new recoil spring from Wolff which should settle things.

So, three or two Garands...I do like the early SN I have...

It's funny, when you're not looking for something it falls into your lap. First the PPk, now the Winchester.

T

I had 64 m1 garands at one point. Great to look at multiples.

I do that with Mausers! Got two slots left; one for a RC barreled action XII Depot build (Mainz-Kastel Depot - only 6397 ever made), and the BSW. The other three or four on my list will have to go in the safe.

T

Attachments

• DSCN6086.jpg
    DSCN6086.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 23
Back
Top Bottom