The South is Gonna Rise Again

After a couple of years of hemming and (yee) hawing, and mostly a lifetime
in the People's Republic of Taxachussets, I decided to move my family down to Georgia. Everything seemed to come together...great job with a big raise came along, boys are getting big enough to use a couple acres of land, and a house the size of a mansion for what my 1500 square footer in Plymouth goes for. I can't think of anything better than sitting on my front porch with the family and dog on a Summer night. No more crazy traffic and crazier drivers, everyone speaks English as a first language, slower pace of life, even class three licenses are pretty easy to get from the local Sheriffs, no more $700 glocks. I do have to say that gun laws were a factor in my decision...don't think I could live somewhere like Cally or Chicago. Life is good.

Good for you! Someday when I can afford to I will be moving from the PRM, I don't care for hot weather so hopfully New Hampshire will stay free otherwise it will be somewhere like South Dakota or Montana.

Congrats, Charles. Enjoy your new home and lift a mint julep for those of us still behind the lines.

Will you be selling off your non-MA compliant guns before you go? (since you can replace them cheaply in a free state and you can get better prices for them up here!)

I could live in the northern section of the state very easily.
Like, say, Helen? I visited Helen, GA once... real nice town; folks were very friendly. Up in the mountains, IIRC.

I stayed at a hotel with a stream running behind it that we could swim in... 30 years later I mention this to a coworker in GA and he tells me that that "stream" was the Chattahoochee River.

I don't think being overrun with refugee Yankees constitutes the South "rising again."

More like Reconstruction Redux.

Like, say, Helen? I visited Helen, GA once... real nice town; folks were very friendly. Up in the mountains, IIRC.

I stayed at a hotel with a stream running behind it that we could swim in... 30 years later I mention this to a coworker in GA and he tells me that that "stream" was the Chattahoochee River.
Think we were about 20-30 miles East of there. We fell in love with the area but I wonder if we went in the summer if our opinion would be the same.

I don't think being overrun with refugee Yankees constitutes the South "rising again."

More like Reconstruction Redux.
+1 The ongoing development within 30 miles of Atlanta is beyond description. There is alot of bad feeling towards Northerners who move there and buy up alot of the housing. Some people who were born and raised there can't afford to buy their own home because of the outrageous real estate prices.

And I just have to add - if you hate traffic, then give Atlanta a 40 mile circumferential berth. What a freakin' disaster! Boston is a cakewalk compared to trying to get anywhere within that circle in a reasonable amount of time. And given the rate of housing development, it's only going to get worse.

The northern part of Georgia, especially north central and east, are beautiful. No jobs, though.

Wait to you have had your fill of that God Awful RED CLAY. Red Clay pant legs, Red Clay bottoms of houses, The Steam from the shower turns your White walls PINK. Gotta love that Red Clay....
I do miss the Great BIG Buffets at Ryan's Steak Houses or at Shoney's and the girls look pretty all of the time and care how they look, wouldn't be seen dead in public wearing Green Plaid or Dickies..[grin]

Think we were about 20-30 miles East of there. We fell in love with the area but I wonder if we went in the summer if our opinion would be the same.

+1 The ongoing development within 30 miles of Atlanta is beyond description. There is alot of bad feeling towards Northerners who move there and buy up alot of the housing. Some people who were born and raised there can't afford to buy their own home because of the outrageous real estate prices.

Sounds like the same bitchin I heard in Hinsdale IL (relocating Chicago people), Petosky MI (relocating Chicago people), Logan Utah (relocating CA people), Bremerton WA (relocating CA people), York ME (relocating MA people), South Berwick ME (relocating MA people), and Lincoln ME (relocating Portland people). Wow. Glad I'm not from Chicago, CA or MA.

I'm a Georgian by birth and still make it down to ride in the mountains around Dahlonega-Suches at least once a year,but unless I came into a whole heap of $,wouldn't and couldn't live there.Metro Atlanta is a mess and while most gun laws are better,some actually bother me far worse than MA restrictions.I might not be able to buy a new Glock here,but I can wear my old G19 into any restaurant I wish,which isn't the case in GA.No place is perfect,I love to ride/fish/hike/kayak in the mountains but in order to make a living,one tends to have to live some place crowded and heinously hot in the summer-always a tradeoff!

Speaking of buffets...anyone every go to Captain George's in Williamsburg? O_M_G.... It's expensive as buffets go, but cripes, the selection is unbelieveable. It's not only seafood - it's land lubbers too. I wish I was there now.... [sad]

No! never been to Capt George's.
The first time I went to Ryans, I ordered a steak and a Potato and they gave me a BIG Platter and said "Help yourself to the salad bar" Good God, what a Salad bar, they had Chicken, fish, ham, and several other kinds of meats, all kinds of potatoes and you name it it was there, they even had an Ice Cream Buffet where you could make your own WoW! deserts. When my meal came, I had to ask them to put my WHOLE meal in a DOGGIE BAg. I had gotten full at the bar.

I lived in the South a year or so. One of the neighbors told me "there's good Yanks and Bad Yanks - Good Yanks visit for the Season, Bad Yanks buy a house." He might have been kidding ... But I liked it down there - people were freindly.

As I recall, they say, "...following The Lull in The War of Northern Agression, the South will Rise Again."

The first time I went to Ryans, I ordered a steak and a Potato and they gave me a BIG Platter and said "Help yourself to the salad bar" Good God, what a Salad bar, they had Chicken, fish, ham, and several other kinds of meats, all kinds of potatoes and you name it it was there, they even had an Ice Cream Buffet where you could make your own WoW! deserts. When my meal came, I had to ask them to put my WHOLE meal in a DOGGIE BAg. I had gotten full at the bar.

I can say this as a value sized Southern boy- WTH do you think we're all so friggin fat?!?![laugh2]

Wait to you have had your fill of that God Awful RED CLAY
In a previous life, I worked on a construction job at the Savannah River Plant. I drove the rental car around the job site. I usually took it to the self car-wash prior to returning it to Hertz, because it would have red clay hanging down behind the tires the way snow accumulates up here. When I was done (after going through lots of quarters), the car wash bay looked like an incontinent elephant had been there. The next car in line for my bay would often choose another line after seeing what I left there...

I was sitting in a Union 76 Truck stop in Dalton Ga. A buddy of mine talked with a real Vermont Woodchuck accent. I turned and looked at the door and these 4 or 5 kids were coming in, all barefoot and with bib overalls on, behind the last kid was a petite, good looking Mother, pregnant and barefoot and bibs on, behind her was Bubba. Bubba was BIG and I mean BIG and he had bibs on and OI noticed he had a hat on as well and across the front of the hat it said "KEEP THE SOUTH BEAUTIFUL, PUT A YANKEE ON THE BUS" I looked at my Buddy and said "Talk with a Southern Accent, quick"
Aw! food was great though and them Southern Folk, sure know how to have a good time after work. Them girls are always looking pretty too. Holiday Inns were the hangouts.

When I was done (after going through lots of quarters), the car wash bay looked like an incontinent elephant had been there. The next car in line for my bay would often choose another line after seeing what I left there...

Now that's a visual I could have done without. [laugh]

You should have seen the look on the face of the Hertz lot boy the day that I didn't have time to wash the car prior to returning it...

Just be careful at Ryans.....

Infamous Ryan's steakhouse incident - NSFW don't read while/before eating

[rofl] [laugh2]

-Mike

Just like Boston. They both got a rt 495

alligator_lg.jpg

I have only eaten at a Ryan's once, but I state that Golden Corral is my buffet steakhouse of choice. My in-laws prefer Western Sizzlin, but they just don't have the sheer volume of choices that GC has. Now for a non-buffet steakhouse, Texas Roadhouse is the best BY FAR! A close 2nd would be the Dakota House.

Back
Top Bottom