The RAT list has increased

Eons ago when I was a newbie to guns I walked into that store to check it out. While there I admittedly made a mistake. I didn’t endanger anyone’s life but I made a stupid mistake. The guy behind the counter could have easily said hey sonny don’t ever do that again. Do this instead. Here let me help you so you don’t repeat that. Instead the guy berated me to the point I felt like I could stand on a quarter. And made no apologies for it. I hung my head and didn’t say a word well because I was taught to own your mistakes. I walked out and have never returned. Sounds like I did one thing right.

Reminds me of that place in Shrewsbury that went out of business a while ago, can't remember the name right now.

I was banned from there by the owner lol
Gun Room think Peter Dowd owned the place........or did when it closed.

When I was noob in 1987 I bought my first gun there a Brand new Browning Sweet 16 the first year they came back out with it. Still have it in fantastic condition. Shot lots of deer with it.

There was no internet back then nor the internet ban hammers. There was also no silly AWB laws yet either and most stuff was legal in MA.

Gun shops that rat out others because they are afraid to sell certain items themselves should be purged from existence. If all MA gun shops don't stand together its a fail.

Last edited:
Eons ago when I was a newbie to guns I walked into that store to check it out. While there I admittedly made a mistake. I didn’t endanger anyone’s life but I made a stupid mistake. The guy behind the counter could have easily said hey sonny don’t ever do that again. Do this instead. Here let me help you so you don’t repeat that. Instead the guy berated me to the point I felt like I could stand on a quarter. And made no apologies for it. I hung my head and didn’t say a word well because I was taught to own your mistakes. I walked out and have never returned. Sounds like I did one thing right.
I teach kids to handle and shoot shotguns for the youth pheasant program. Making someone new feel like an idiot about a mistake is as low as you can go in the gun teaching world and will 100% alienate anyone from wanting to shoot. That's the last thing you want to do with young or new people.

That said, I've also had to remind a few older guys to about muzzle sweeping and handling......and it always been by trying to have a nice one on one conversation beforehand, away from everyone else, and then just gently mentioning their mistake and reminding them to stay safe. And my last words are always, if you see me do something unsafe, please tell me right away.

No one is perfect and treating someone like an idiot goes nowhere.

Don't leave us hanging. What did you do to get banned?

I wrote about it here years ago.. I bought a nylon gun case there not knowing if it would fit my gun or not, well it didnt. Went to return it about 90 minutes later and Dowd said no refunds..

He was basically giving me shit trying to show off in front of his employees standing there. So I told him no where is it posted and it doesn't specify on the receipt his refund policy. He said it doesn't have to be posted, it's all up here while pointing at his head. I believe I said something like I can't read his mind 🤣

He ended up giving me my money back and said I was banned from his shop. Not a real exciting story, but that's what happened.

I wrote about it here years ago.. I bought a nylon gun case there not knowing if it would fit my gun or not, well it didnt. Went to return it about 90 minutes later and Dowd said no refunds..

He was basically giving me shit trying to show off in front of his employees standing there. So I told him no where is it posted and it doesn't specify on the receipt his refund policy. He said it doesn't have to be posted, it's all up here while pointing at his head. I believe I said something like I can't read his mind 🤣

He ended up giving me my money back and said I was banned from his shop. Not a real exciting story, but that's what happened.
And that guy went out of business?
Shocked!

Sounds like them. A couple of them behind the counter weren't really bad guys. There also wasn't much to choose from locally either back then. Most shops would
come and go, and places like Armco got raided. Now the Gun Parlor is the only place still left around for the most part.......yuck.

The internet makes it easy now to avoid douchebaggery, and I have a local transfer guy whos great to deal with, no more shops for me except one.

My understanding is the only reason GR stayed in business for so long is probably because they got free guns from his bonded warehouse business, and then sold them.

He was somehow connected or owned the property or shop that was the bonded whorehouse in Northborough.. I believe the shop that cop owns in Brookfield is now the bonded whorehouse in this area.. Talk about boycotting gunshops, the Brookfield one should be #1 on the list for selling confiscated guns.

So does HTP really have no representation here on NES to defend or at least explain itself?
Shops responding here to accusations of bad behavior has almost never gone well for the shop. They are smart to stay away. 🤔

In my view, if shops wish to read the law in their own special way, that's fine with me. I'll simply shop elsewhere. Maura has them constantly frightened of losing their livelihood and I get that. Bad laws... grey areas... strange decrees... assorted threats and past fines... Massachusetts has it all.

But reporting shops to the FRB, Maura et al just because of a different read of the law is just plain ugly and nasty. 👎

I hope this accusation is true and not just dirty business. One person's supposed experience and accusation on Reddit is not exactly our gold standard for NES persecution and boycotting... or is it? o_O

Last edited:
Not only there for the 10/22 but also the Mini 14 Rancher. That's why old man Ruger was in favor of magazine capacity limits, since he had already lined up support for his "limited capacity" semi-autos. From Ruger's 1992 interview with Tom Brokaw:

"No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun."
News flash!

Bill Ruger, Sr. died 20 years ago.

Bill Ruger, Jr. died 4 years ago and had not been involved in the operation of the company since 2008.

Any stock owned by any surviving family members does not result in Board Seats or control.

Sturm Ruger employs Americans to make guns in three different states.

Please give it a rest.

News flash!

Bill Ruger, Jr. died 4 years ago and had not been involved in the operation of the company since 2008.

Any stock owned by any surviving family members does not result in Board Seats or control.

Please give it a rest.

yah and in free america you can sell BONUS PACKS of numerous types of Ruger branded magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.

Shops responding here to accusations of bad behavior has almost never gone well for the shop. They are smart to stay away. 🤔

In my view, if shops wish to read the law in their own special way, that's fine with me. I'll simply shop elsewhere. Maura has them constantly frightened of losing their livelihood and I get that. Bad laws... grey areas... strange decrees... assorted threats and past fines... Massachusetts has it all.

But reporting shops to the FRB, Maura et al just because of a different read of the law is just plain ugly and nasty. 👎

I hope this accusation is true and not just dirty business. One person's supposed experience and accusation on Reddit is not exactly our gold standard for NES persecution and boycotting... or is it? o_O

I agree but in the long game here it doesnt really matter, that shop has always been one of those deals that people who know better generally avoided, even before this was a
thing. Although they must have some loyalists to stay alive in the armpit region, then again, Ted has some of those too.

I will say that their new space is an improvement over their previous shop, and the guy who was behind the counter when I went in (older dude) was nice enough, though I didn't get any free legal advice from him and as far as I'm aware he didn't call the authorities on me.

He was somehow connected or owned the property or shop that was the bonded whorehouse in Northborough.. I believe the shop that cop owns in Brookfield is now the bonded whorehouse in this area.. Talk about boycotting gunshops, the Brookfield one should be #1 on the list for selling confiscated guns.

I called it the Dowd Extortion Warehouse. He had to shut that down because he got caught playing hide the weenie soft corruption job with some local PD in a sort of pay for play
scheme. (we funnel you confiscated guns, you give us discounts and department guns etc so on).

Brookfield? you mean Tombstone? There's a thread aobut them here

but its moreso overall shit business practices vs selling confiscated guns, I mean every BW eventually sells guns that are way in arrears or whatever and the owner abandons, you can't even bother with the business without channeling cosby. (IMHO its pretty much impossible to be a "good" BW, becuase the leverage a BW has is based on f***ing people in the ass based on privileges other FFLs dont get by default. )

Last edited:
I agree but in the long game here it doesn't really matter, that shop has always been one of those deals that people who know better generally avoided, even before this was a
thing. Although they must have some loyalists to stay alive in the armpit region, then again, Ted has some of those too.
I've bought twice from HTP in the past... once in late-2014 and again in early-2015... once at the old shop and once at a gun show. I don't think I've been down there to the new shop in at least 5 years. To be honest, I liked the old shop better despite the weird location and risking your life at times trying to park there. [laugh]

But it wouldn't surprise me if the accusation were true. It's an "old school" kind of place with old school ownership. 🤔

My understanding is the only reason GR stayed in business for so long is probably because they got free guns from his bonded warehouse business, and then sold them.

Lol not true, there was a long period of time where Dowd wasnt involved in the gun room at all. That was O'Leary or someone
who owned it for a long time. Or at least he ran the place. There was a long period where basically dowd was only involved with his extortion
warehouse buisiness.

The gun room stuck around like a big zit because of its location and the fact that they had a lot of stuff in the store.... even if a lot of the people there
were jerks, they had a variety of guns for sale. and also at the time that entire central mass area was basically a big gun desert. There was really only Blue Northern,
Waynes, The Gun Room, IDC and a couple tiny shops floating around for the better part of a decade.

Of course for reference I'm talking "Before O Leary died" era. Not the 5+ years or whatever it was where it was in slow death spiral mode.

It is a little weird to rat on people buying guns on FIDs when the legal standard after Bruen makes crap like the "large capacity weapon" restrictions unlikely to survive the next couple years. Is it purely just wanting an up on competition? How sad.

It is a little weird to rat on people buying guns on FIDs when the legal standard after Bruen makes crap like the "large capacity weapon" restrictions unlikely to survive the next couple years. Is it purely just wanting an up on competition? How sad.

It's just NPC Fudd shops acting out, bitter because they keep kicking their own ass because they're way out of touch with gun consumers in their region.

"Dontcha know Heeweey banned AR15s? Blah blah, blah. Crast! Iweeegul!"

348izf.jpg

In the gun world you have 3 customers:

1. The noobs that don't know sh*t.
2. The major skinflints that touch everything expensive, waste your time and you might be lucky if they spend $10.
3. The guys that know what they want, why they want it, do business with good people and buy several guns per year.

Don't forget #4 - the guy who has what he "needs" and is just looking for something that he didn't know he needed. This is my category, as I've got something to fill any bill I may come up with - but I'll look to see what a store has that catches my eye. Most often for me these are used guns that I want to get back, or regret not buying 20 years ago that when I find them light me up like a candle.

The gun room stuck around like a big zit because of its location and the fact that they had a lot of stuff in the store.... even if a lot of the people there
were jerks, they had a variety of guns for sale.

I always liked the Gun Room, and had great luck there. I was always treated well there, but I pretty much grew up there, going in with my Dad in the late 70s and 80s. They always had a great variety that I could always find something that I had to have. I still regret passing up the Savage 24s that they had in different calibers / gauges, to say nothing of other fun guns I saw that I planned on getting "maybe next time".

last time I was in hunters trading post was around 2015. There was a creepy older guy working there. It felt like a used car lot. I left and never returned. exciting story eh.

Bill Ruger: a pioneer of virtue signaling. Ah well the Ruger leadership as of 2022 clearly doesn’t follow Mr Ruger’s silly beliefs so I don’t hold it against them.

News flash!

Please give it a rest.

1665686095235.png

Here is Bill, Jr. on MDI where he had a "house" in Bar Harbor at 145 Eden St (Rte 3).

Back
Top Bottom