The RAT list has increased

You're the one who said they get replaced when people are unhappy with them. They've been visibly supporting the same people for as long as I've been driving that stretch.

Obviously the people in charge haven't been replaced. What an I missing?
They do get replaced eventually. How many times do the politicians you vote for get replaced in Massachusetts probably about the same. Massachusetts is full of career politicians doesn't matter the industry.

Lol not true, there was a long period of time where Dowd wasnt involved in the gun room at all. That was O'Leary or someone
who owned it for a long time. Or at least he ran the place. There was a long period where basically dowd was only involved with his extortion
warehouse buisiness.

The gun room stuck around like a big zit because of its location and the fact that they had a lot of stuff in the store.... even if a lot of the people there
were jerks, they had a variety of guns for sale. and also at the time that entire central mass area was basically a big gun desert. There was really only Blue Northern,
Waynes, The Gun Room, IDC and a couple tiny shops floating around for the better part of a decade.

Of course for reference I'm talking "Before O Leary died" era. Not the 5+ years or whatever it was where it was in slow death spiral mode.
Yeah.......I agree, I know Dowd was in it in the beginning, but John took it over and after he died it went to shit. Someone said Dowd owned the building, not sure.

I had no idea about Tombstone, they are relatively close to me, but prices are so full retard I've never bought anything there. I don't get out there much anyway....no reason to go now.

BTW....now more than ever the North Central MA area is a gun desert. Waynes is gone, neighbors fxcked him out of business, Tombstone and Gay Parlor no one will buy from, the guy in Gardner is OK but very fuddy and won't transfer much. I guess there's Cabela's......... [rofl]

There is a small dealer in my town that does transfers and he's a great guy but he's a limited hours deal, and has very little in stock.

F*ck them.

They sell nothing special.
Their prices are not great.
No reason to give them any business when whatever they sell can either be found at the Mill or cheaper online and transfered at the Mill.

Remember when years ago they had that dude working the counter that was waiting for someone to do something so he could shoot them? ... the one with below ZERO (if that is even possible) customer skills.

I was at their new location 2 years ago for a NES deal, while the guy wasn't there, I was still not impressed with the shop.

1. Bleep them.

2. Reminds me of a time years and years ago when I played golf. A buddy and me went to this crappy pitch-and-putt course in Dartmouth. They had a deal - weekday AM's from 8-11, play as much as you want for $10. We went to practice our pitching at various distances.

We were hte ONLY ONES on the entire course. There wasn't a soul around. Some 19yo clearly-would-never-have-a-better job toolbag driving the lawn mower comes over. "You guys have to play the holes in order or I'm gonna throw you off the course." We looked around. "Ummmm, we're on the play forever for $10 plan AND there is NO ONE ELSE HERE!" "Skip another hole and I'm throwing you out." LOL. Some folks just need to feel important.

Hey there Tuna, We probably crossed paths back in the 80’s. I grew up in Shrewsbury and hung around with Al the manager (drove a silver vette). He moved on to open D&L Shooting in Warwick RI. If I knew what would happen to this state, well, there’d be a few more Glocks and pre-bans in my safe now.

Hey. I was just a kid then. I only remember the guy with the old blue hero who dressed like a cowboy. Lol. I left for the Army in 90 and came back in 94. I spent a ton of time there but never got friendly or talked too much with anyone. Still always liked the place.
Interesting tidbit of history that I did not know... i.e., Al Syslo (owner of D&L in Warwick) originally working at The Gun Room. Son of a gun. [laugh] He sure made good for himself! [thumbsup]

I'm old enough to remember The Gun Room even in it's original location. I don't recall ever buying any guns from them, but not for lack of trying. I was GawdAwful poor back then and a real "skinflint" as drgrant would say. The only specific memory I have of the place (beside the locations and store layouts, etc.) was a brand spanking new stainless steel Smith & Wesson Model 64 or 65 revolver that I desperately wanted to buy... but the cylinder chambers would not align with the barrel (sprung crane/yoke?)... in fact, not even close. WTF??? :oops:

That was when I first learned that "new-in-box" from Smith & Wesson does not necessarily mean perfectly made, tested and ready to fire. :rolleyes:

Are you thinking of IBEW Local 103 on the side of the expressway? Those dudes loooove Maura.
I've found that the individual members a lot of times vote contrary to the endorsement of the council. I was a member of a union that endorsed HRC. The vast majority of the membership voted for Trump.

Are you thinking of IBEW Local 103 on the side of the expressway? Those dudes loooove Maura.
My union had people outside the debate the other night holding signs for Maura. The sign of it made my skin crawl. The VP of the Union was promising me that the crap that's going on right now with our retirement plan and other benefits is all going to be straightened out because they've been promised that by Maura. They forget that the governor that screwed us over the most was Deval Patrick. The one who gave us the best contract in my whole period there was Jane Swift

I've found that the individual members a lot of times vote contrary to the endorsement of the council. I was a member of a union that endorsed HRC. The vast majority of the membership voted for Trump.
seems like the members need to put more pressure on the leadership and make it known that they don't approve. I still don't get how if the "majority" of members think one way, how the leadership can do the opposite, and continue to do it year after year.

My union had people outside the debate the other night holding signs for Maura. The sign of it made my skin crawl. The VP of the Union was promising me that the crap that's going on right now with our retirement plan and other benefits is all going to be straightened out because they've been promised that by Maura. They forget that the governor that screwed us over the most was Deval Patrick. The one who gave us the best contract in my whole period there was Jane Swift
Beck Rights.

seems like the members need to put more pressure on the leadership and make it known that they don't approve. I still don't get how if the "majority" of members think one way, how the leadership can do the opposite, and continue to do it year after year.
To put it simply, during the last election, the union leadership determined that Biden would be best for the union and the rank and file members determined that Trump would be best for the country...

View attachment 672798

Here is Bill, Jr. on MDI where he had a "house" in Bar Harbor at 145 Eden St (Rte 3).
A few years back I was up there for a wedding and took notice of one of the two properties. Gorgeous.

Interesting tidbit of history that I did not know... i.e., Al Syslo (owner of D&L in Warwick) originally working at The Gun Room. Son of a gun. [laugh] He sure made good for himself! [thumbsup]

I'm old enough to remember The Gun Room even in it's original location. I don't recall ever buying any guns from them, but not for lack of trying. I was GawdAwful poor back then and a real "skinflint" as drgrant would say. The only specific memory I have of the place (beside the locations and store layouts, etc.) was a brand spanking new stainless steel Smith & Wesson Model 64 or 65 revolver that I desperately wanted to buy... but the cylinder chambers would not align with the barrel (sprung crane/yoke?)... in fact, not even close. WTF??? :oops:

That was when I first learned that "new-in-box" from Smith & Wesson does not necessarily mean perfectly made, tested and ready to fire. :rolleyes:
Small world, and Shrewsbury is even smaller. Al did go on to do alright, and in my opinion no one deserves it more. Now he has his boys running the store in Warwick.
It’s a nice place, people should check it out

Union donates money to politicians.
Union uses dues paid by members to get politicians elected.
Politicians promise to take care of unions.
Politicians get elected and negotiate with/give sweetheart deals to unions.
Politicians enact legislation favoring unions.
Union leadership boasts about said sweetheart deal and suddenly more money than ever is rolling in.
every time I drive by the Maura billboard on 93 I send a picture to all my Union buddies.

The greatest grift in America. And yet there are people who still think unions exist to look out for their members.

Also in relation to the actually thread topic. I live 15 maybe 20 minutes from this shop. When I first got my LTC me and a buddy went here and were looking around. They had magazines on display and the guy behind the counter was showing them to us. Turns out they were new stock high capacity mags (which I didn’t know was a thing at the time). Some old guy that worked there starts absolutely berating the employee and me and my buddy about felonies etc. etc. because we weren’t cops.

I didn’t know what the problem was so I made the mistake of asking and the guy was a minute or so into a yelling rant at me before I just walked out. For some reason Gun shops seem to think (more than most businesses) that they are doing us a favor by existing. Life is too short for all that noise.

not to completely derail this thread... I have never been in a union.. just not my line of work..

how does the leadership continue to do this if the members are strongly against it? Don't they vote for union presidents and such? I'm completely ignorant of the inner workings of a union like IBEW 103.

The leadership can support/endorse whoever they want with pictures on web pages and banners. The rank and file with a brain use it when they vote.. You can pick the guys out who vote by what the union tells them, they usually have the black satin jackets with a 2ft union logo on them. Other than that, I know very few people that support who the union supports.,, My case is probably 80/20 in favor of Conservative voters.

The leadership can support/endorse whoever they want with pictures on web pages and banners. The rank and file with a brain use it when they vote.. You can pick the guys out who vote by what the union tells them, they usually have the black satin jackets with a 2ft union logo on them. Other than that, I know very few people that support who the union supports.,, My case is probably 80/20 in favor of Conservative voters.
but that's what I don't get.. if 80% don't support the union leadership, how do they keep getting voted back into their leadership positions? Is politics just a non-issue when it comes to voting in union leadership?

Was is the gun room located in Framingham next to the ski shop?

rt 9 eastbound shrewsbury, theres an appliance store there now but the whole strip mall it was in was re-facaded/gutted/rehabbed a number of years ago. intersection of bailey rd and rt 9.

basically if you look at that facade now, the gun room took up the first third of it on the left.

but that's what I don't get.. if 80% don't support the union leadership, how do they keep getting voted back into their leadership positions? Is politics just a non-issue when it comes to voting in union leadership?

Yup, at the local level at least.

It's not that you don't support the union leadership, it's that you don't support the politicians the union leadership supports. Locally when the business agents, treasurer etc runs for election, there is no mention of politics. They talk about how they negotiated concessions, settled grievances etc... There has not been one time where any business agent or any of their bosses locally have come in to a shop to encourage voting a certain way when it comes to elections other than union elections. My business agent is a gun owing conservative, but honestly their political leanings never come in to question when they are running.. I am just close with him so I know how he is.. I guess if you were to ask him who you should vote for he would spew the national union garbage because he is supposed to.. Seriously though, politics is a non issue. EVERYBODY knows my political leanings, yet they voted me in as union steward :)

Other unions may differ and this is a sample size of one so... :)

I know a lot of guys here are pro Union but I'm not a big fan. Many years ago I used to deliver machine parts to companies as a summer job. I hated going to Union Shops as inevitably the guy on the loading dock wouldn't be available and nobody else would sign for the part. Basically the thing I hear the most was "It's not my job" and I'd have to stand there and wait for the one guy who's job it was to come back to the dock. One place I couldn't wait any longer and I told a group of guys that I was leaving the part there and was heading out. That company called later in the day to say the part never arrived. Since nobody signed for it technically I had no backup other then to say I dropped it off. Luckily my boss understood and let it slide. Lets just say my boss wasn't too happy about it and made the company wait for any orders they put in.

The way to handle that is leave and take the part with you. Chat with your boss and reschedule the delivery for 3 to 5 days later. Then arrive at the 7 day mark. Guarantee next time the guy is waiting on you.

rt 9 eastbound shrewsbury, theres an appliance store there now but the whole strip mall it was in was re-facaded/gutted/rehabbed a number of years ago. intersection of bailey rd and rt 9.

basically if you look at that facade now, the gun room took up the first third of it on the left.
Hated that place...all wannabe Special Operators. Every purchase I made there came with a war story... Whether you wanted it or not.

Hated that place...all wannabe Special Operators. Every purchase I made there came with a war story... Whether you wanted it or not.

I bought a few guns there, there was one guy there that wanst oleary I forget his name, but he was actually pretty nice, hes like "he didnt give you a great deal but im going to make it right" and then he went over to a box and threw a half dozen AK mags in a bag for me to go with the rifle I bought. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom