The girlfriend is concerned... Quick access safe?

My wife is now concerned that I keep my HD pistol in a gunvault next to the bed. She used to feel much safer when it was kept in a drawer next to the bed. With an 18month old, I have to sacrifice in the name of safety.

I don't mind it now because it is MY choice, and is a prudent precaution. Before the baby the thought of mandatory trigger locks made my blood boil.

Lol, sorry tuna, but when I scanned the general page, this popped out to me and I have to post it...

tuna2.jpg

[laugh2]

Perhaps you haven't read the following: http://www.topbits.com/how-to-open-a-simplex-lock.html

From the article: "How do you open a Simplex lock? You try all 1,082 possible combinations. It may seem difficult at first, but with some practice you should be able to open most Simplex locks in under ten minutes."

So, maybe just the one drink of scotch will suffice. ;)

Thanks for the link. I stand corrected, though I feel certain I read a description of a lock with a combination that included the ability to press two buttons at once. Is there more than one version of Simplex, or a similar but different type?

Now I'm curious about how many Gun Vault combos are possible...they use only four buttons, but their buttons can be pressed more than once, unlike the Simplex which can only be used once in a sequence.

For example (from the article)...
Simplex
1-4-3-2 is valid
1-4-3-1 is invalid

With Gun vault
1-4-1-4 would be perfectly valid
as would
1-4-4-4 (if I'm not mistaken)

This would seem to give Gun Vaults a superior security advantage PLUS the option of a key backup.

Last edited:
Maybe "better" in the sense of guessing combos, but certainly Simplex is better from a lock construction and security point of view.

Thanks for the link. I stand corrected, though I feel certain I read a description of a lock with a combination that included the ability to press two buttons at once. Is there more than one version of Simplex, or a similar but different type?

Now I'm curious about how many Gun Vault combos are possible...they use only four buttons, but their buttons can be pressed more than once, unlike the Simplex which can only be used once in a sequence.

For example (from the article)...
Simplex
1-4-3-2 is valid
1-4-3-1 is invalid

With Gun vault
1-4-1-4 would be perfectly valid
as would
1-4-4-4 (if I'm not mistaken)

This would seem to give Gun Vaults a superior security advantage PLUS the option of a key backup.

My GunVault locks the keypad for 15 minutes if you enter a certain number of incorrect combinations.

We don't actually have a gun in every room. It was her basically telling me she wants us to have a bunch of guns [smile]

Buy her lots of shiny metal and shoes then, she's a keeper! [laugh]

I don't mind it now because it is MY choice, and is a prudent precaution. Before the baby the thought of mandatory trigger locks made my blood boil.

Taking precautions with kids and the house and mandatory trigger locks are two very different beasts...

[laugh] For once it isn't Blitz1. [laugh]

I like guns.

Hey!!

Wait what are you implying there? [angry][wink]

Seriously, to the OP, really, bring her to a shoot.

You may have issues there, You may not. Things can be worked out.

If She is trying to tell you what to do though [hmmm]...Nothing good will come from that.

If you can explain and teach her, and if she is willing to learn, it may go well.

Don't wast your money on biometrics, i've got the mini gunvault and alot of times it doesn't open on the first attempt. the ones with the combination open just as fast if not faster.

I agree. I have a biometrc vault also that works on the 1st attempt when it feels like it. Seems like a dangerous waste of $$

Guys... I love my guns, but I love my wife more. If I had to choose, by by guns. It's that simple. Forget that 1950s "men wear the pants, women are barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen" B.S. I love her, she loves me, and we BOTH respect one another's opinion. I keep my guns in a safe unless I'm going to a range. Why? Because I don't see the need to carry the damn thing 24/7, and guns freak my wife out. I know people are gonna say "but what if a burglar/rapist/serial killer breaks in??" And I say, when was the last time that happened to YOU? Never? Me too. I'm not gonna worry about it. And to the "get another wife" crowd - she doesn't like guns. They scare her. I have asked her if she would like me to take her shooting, and explain how they work to her, and she said she wasn't interested. I respect that.

I know people are gonna say "but what if a burglar/rapist/serial killer breaks in??" And I say...I'm not gonna worry about it.

Apparently you, nor anyone you know, has ever been a victim of a violent crime. [rolleyes]

Saying "It's never happened to me, so I'm not gonna worry about it" is flawed logic at best.
"The smart man learns from his mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others."

Welcome to NES Mr. Rosenthal!
[laugh2]

Guys... I love my guns, but I love my wife more. If I had to choose, by by guns. It's that simple. Forget that 1950s "men wear the pants, women are barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen" B.S. I love her, she loves me, and we BOTH respect one another's opinion. I keep my guns in a safe unless I'm going to a range. Why? Because I don't see the need to carry the damn thing 24/7, and guns freak my wife out. I know people are gonna say "but what if a burglar/rapist/serial killer breaks in??" And I say, when was the last time that happened to YOU? Never? Me too. I'm not gonna worry about it. And to the "get another wife" crowd - she doesn't like guns. They scare her. I have asked her if she would like me to take her shooting, and explain how they work to her, and she said she wasn't interested. I respect that.

You should have stopped halfway through. The "men wear the pants, women wear the skirts" crap is really annoying. But not preparing for something because it's never personally happened to you is stupid. I've never been in a really bad car accident, but I still wear my seat belt.

I sincerely hope that you never have to learn the hard way just how wrong you are.

You will know where you stand in the relationship once you start locking your firearms up and she finds something else to harp about.[wink]

If she really respected you she wouldn't have a problem with your guns. At all. I'll leave it at that. Part of being in a relationship with someone means accepting things about the other person, even if you might not like whatever it is. This is one of those occasions.

This isn't about "barefoot and pregnant" or any of that crap. Wanting to own and carry a firearm for defense of yourself and others is not "sexist" by any stretch of the imagination. This isn't strictly a "man vs woman" problem either- I have no doubt that there are many women who carry guns, and their BF or Husbands have "issues" with it because their middle name probably should be "Milquetoast".

ETA: How would your wife feel if you told her she couldn't see one of her friends because you thought that person was bad/dangerous/etc.... this isn't much different. It's a very personal, very offensive, "ban".

-Mike

Last edited:

Maybe the best you can hope for is that, if you ever need to use it, she won't testify against you!

I know people are gonna say "but what if a burglar/rapist/serial killer breaks in??" And I say, when was the last time that happened to YOU? Never? Me too. I'm not gonna worry about it.
You've opened my eyes, and I have seen the light. I'm going to spend the rest of the day purging from my life all fire extinguishers, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, seat belts, airbags, helmets, safety goggles, ear protection, car insurance, home owner's insurance, health insurance and life insurance. Being prepared for disaster is for idiots!

in all seriousness tell her this,

"get rid of the fire extinguishers too because we dont plan on having any fires in the house either."

I told that to someone about a year ago when they asked me why I needed a loaded gun on top of my safe at night. They asked me if I was paranoid that something was going to happen. I then asked her if she had any fire extinguishers in her house and she of course replied "yes" and I told her she must be paranoid of having a fire in her house.

She thought about it for a minute and did not respond. She knew I was right.

Tell your Girlfriend that and see what happens. Sometimes you just need to put things in "very simple perspective" for people. I had to do the same to my Wife when we got married 12 years ago.

my 2 cents,
Rob

Last edited:
She's apparently very uncomfortable with me having a pistol that I have easy/quick access to. While home, I have a pistol out of my safe and that is her concern. She doesnt like the fact that I have a firearm "not in the safe". She's worried that she'll get shot... I have no idea where this came from.

After reading 9 pages of replies my suggestion is to get a large safe and keep the girlfriend in it.
Dave

Guys... I love my guns, but I love my wife more. If I had to choose, by by guns. It's that simple.

Fair enough. It's not how I am, but you know where your priorities are, and there's no shame in that.

I know people are gonna say "but what if a burglar/rapist/serial killer breaks in??" And I say, when was the last time that happened to YOU? Never? Me too. I'm not gonna worry about it.

I don't know how much reading you've done on here, but I've personally read several accounts of people who've used their guns before on here. One shot a felon who broke into his house; another was unarmed, and his brother was shot in the face in a home invasion. Even more have been mugged out in public, witnessed shootings, fallen victim to stalkers (check out this thread that I posted on here awhile ago), or have had problems with neighborhood thugs. I remember who some of them are on here by username, but I'll let them chime in if they want. There's even more who have had things happen and don't want to talk about it on a public forum, for legal or personal reasons, which is perfectly understandable.

There's an average of 2,000,000 lawful defensive uses of firearms in the US every year, and FYI, something like 70% of them are in the home, not out in public. I will respect your choice to leave your guns locked up, it's your house, your wife, your life. But don't think for a second that just because you haven't read an in depth post by someone here on NES about using their gun in self defense that it doesn't happen, or that something bad didn't happen to get them into guns in the first place.

If she really respected you she wouldn't have a problem with your guns. At all. I'll leave it at that.

Exactly. I know that there can be different comfort levels involved for some people and guns, but like anything else it's an issue that can be discussed (and if there's so much emotion tangled up in it that they don't even want to see them, I'd say it's an issue that NEEDS to be discussed, for their own mental health).

She's apparently very uncomfortable with me having a pistol that I have easy/quick access to. While home, I have a pistol out of my safe and that is her concern. She doesnt like the fact that I have a firearm "not in the safe". She's worried that she'll get shot... I have no idea where this came from.

She's not anti, I've taken her to the range and she enjoys shooting my 22's. She asked me "What are you expecting to happen?" my reply, "I'm not expecting anything. In fact, I hope that nothing happens, but what if something does?"

I haven't obtained any kind of quick access safe and I think I should go that route. I've been interested in getting one anyways but I'm just not sure what woudl be the best option for me. I see the gunvault is relativly inexpensive and I have a perfect place to bolt down a small safe like that. What it does seems to be exactly what I want, but I dont know what else is out there that would be respectable quality and in my price range. I'd prefer to not spend more that $200, but I'm willing to consider options outside of that range.

Are there any other options that you would reccomend? I'm looking for something that a single pistol can fit in and can be accessed quickly without a key.

She's worried that she'll get shot by a gun sitting on a table?

Definately new girlfriend territory or education....make her sit there and watch the gun (pointed away from her so she's safe)....tell her when it goes off let you know...but it might be a while.

The only reason I have a quick access safe is because of my kids, (not that they haven't been taught properly)... but when it was just the wife and I no way......

GSG - I'll check those threads out. Thanks for pointing me to them. And I don't think bad things don't happen to good people. I just believe I have better odds of being eaten by a shark while being struck by lighting at the same time than having someone kick in my door. Naieve, maybe. But until it happens, it hasn't happened, you know?

JustEric - being prepared for disaster is fine. Let me ask you - those fire extinguishers: do you carry them in your pocket, in case there's a fire? no - they're probably in the kitchen. What happens if there's a fire in the bedroom? You have to run and get the fire extinguisher. Same with a pistol. I don't see the need to keep it on me. You, and a LOT of other people here, do - and that's cool. I respect your opinion on it. I just don't share it.

Look guys - yes, I'm lucky - nothing bad has ever happened to me. And, yes, I see guns as more of a sporting passtime than a defensive tool. Maybe that's because I can't carry mine unless I want to go to the range. I dunno.

And who's Mr. Rosenthal?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom