The future generation is scaring me...

So while at the range that I frequent, there were two younger kids there giggling and fooling around with a ruger 10/22. They were also all 'tacticooled' out, wearing cheap assault vests, empty thigh-rigs, 3-day assault packs. I had my AR15 and Glock 19, which they seemed to be interested in. They approached me after a while and asked if they could try it. I asked if they had ever shot one before, which one responded, "oh, I unlocked all the accessories for the M4 and in my 7th prestige in Modern Warfare 2. I know how to use it." Needless to say, I quickly took my rifle back and had to painfully explain to them how to use it correctly. Upon shooting my rifle, they started complaining how loud it was.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've noticed an increasing amount of younger kids who think that, by playing video games, they're somehow firearm experts. Granted, I myself am only 22. But it's still a scary thought, knowing that these kids will someday undoubtedly be buying firearms soon.

So while at the range that I frequent, there were two younger kids there giggling and fooling around with a ruger 10/22. They were also all 'tacticooled' out, wearing cheap assault vests, empty thigh-rigs, 3-day assault packs. I had my AR15 and Glock 19, which they seemed to be interested in. They approached me after a while and asked if they could try it. I asked if they had ever shot one before, which one responded, "oh, I unlocked all the accessories for the M4 and in my 7th prestige in Modern Warfare 2. I know how to use it." Needless to say, I quickly took my rifle back and had to painfully explain to them how to use it correctly. Upon shooting my rifle, they started complaining how loud it was.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've noticed an increasing amount of younger kids who think that, by playing video games, they're somehow firearm experts. Granted, I myself am only 22. But it's still a scary thought, knowing that these kids will someday undoubtedly be buying firearms soon.

The first time I fired an AR and heard that sound I looked at my brother and said " I've gotta get one of these " that sound sold me.

I guess you can't really replicate that sound on COD and props to you for letting them try.

Instead of giving up on them, I'd suggest giving them some more time and attention. Kids are sponges for information, good or bad is your choice. Try reaching out to them again some time.

I showed my kid my M1 Carbine the other night and now he wantes to shoot it. He has shot my Colt AR-15 so I figure this will be easy.

Instead of giving up on them, I'd suggest giving them some more time and attention. Kids are sponges for information, good or bad is your choice. Try reaching out to them again some time.

This. Hell, they were at the range, which is better than you could say for most kids these days.

-Mike

I lost one of my 9 lives on the rifle range at Boy Scout camp in 1981 when the geek next to me had a misfire and proceeded to point the firearm at me as he repeatedly pulled the trigger and complained to the range officer that his gun didn't work. We were all shooting prone. I just froze. We lived and procreated.

Yup, and a few of those dumbasses even post here.

I love the youtube trained operators who really have guns and no exactly how to use them cause they watched a nutnfancy video. I especially love when they critique military.

Mike

I actually think it's pretty cool. My 14 yr old is always asking if I know any one who has "this gun" so that he might get to shoot it.
He's shot a LOT of different guns from WOW and Modern Warfare.

Yes, but I'm guessing your son does not presume to be an expert with a particular firearm simply because he used it in a video game. Sounds like he has some healthy curiosity, whereas the boys in question have some unhealthy stupidity.

By their logic I'm quite proficient with a whole arsenal of weapons: Assault rifles, RPGs, tanks, fighter jets, lasers, phasers, ray guns, rail guns, tactical nukes.............you get the point.

Yeah, they scare me sometimes too. But then I think a bunch of 18-20 yr old kids went through Fallujah and kicked the living crap out of a well entrenched enemy...loud guns and all. This generation scares me and yet still gives me hope.

When I grew up, all the kids thought they knew what a fire fight was like because they played army in the woods with stick guns. Then it was cap guns, and supersoakers. Then it was paintball guns. Now, its xbox. Same kids, different toys.

I am only 22 and I hate when people give us younger guys (and gals) a bad name. I have been shooting since I was young but I know that in the grand scheme of things, I know nothing. I always appreciate listening to people try to teach me something new and I know that shooting a gun in modern warfare does not translate to a real world experience. I apologize on behalf of my generation :/

What's wrong with video games? I learned how to drive by playing Grand Theft Auto. My next game is going to be the Flight Simulator. I should have my pilot's license in a couple of weeks. [rolleyes]

These kids get all kinds of pseudo knowledge from those video games.

Had my step kid with me the other day and a cobra went by and I called it out. He says, was that a 66? I said, what do you know about 66 cobras? He said, I drive one all the time in my video game???WTF!! The kid actually thought he knew something about cobras from that damn game!! He started to tell me how they accelerated and handled?? There was no questioning his expertise so I just remained silent until he grows out of it. I'm hoping it's with in the next 10 years?

I find it fun playing off other peoples expectations of me being one of the usual dumb kids. Especially since at a glance i look like some stupid liberal ass surfer kid.

Last edited:
honestly, video games have brought left wing ding-bats back from the verge in my opinion. I work with a bunch of peers at work who actually have had an interest in what I shoot at the range due to games like modern warfare, battlefield, etc.

It's kind of taken some of the edge off of the fear. Granted, they're all in their 20's and engineers, so they aren't knuckleheads when it comes to respecting them, but some of these guys are flaming douche liberals who would have peed themselves otherwise upon hearing the question, or upon learning of what I do in my spare free time.

I've actually managed to take a few out shooting. And I think I might be able to nurture a few into picking up the hobby.

as far as tacticool elitists goes, I guess I got nothing.

I am only 22 and I hate when people give us younger guys (and gals) a bad name. I have been shooting since I was young but I know that in the grand scheme of things, I know nothing. I always appreciate listening to people try to teach me something new and I know that shooting a gun in modern warfare does not translate to a real world experience. I apologize on behalf of my generation :/

I'm in the same boat as you. One of the first times I shot at the range, the head range officer pulled me aside and told me he was amazed that I was following proper gun discipline (i.e. always kept bolt open when not firing, trigger discipline, etc). I never really understood how some young adults can think that Halo-style bunny hopping works in real life, or that dual-wielding SMGs would probably not work. I guess in life, there will always be those who say otherwise.

Simulations have their place. That's why the military and flight schools use them. It trains the brain for multi-tasking and you can learn 'tactics' to a point. But, it doesn't change the fact that experience with a real firearm is the only way to rock.

I'm 25 but have been shooting since I was 5-6. I fear most of my peers from their utter ignorance of firearms. You also need to always keep an open mind.

Simulations have their place. That's why the military and flight schools use them. It trains the brain for multi-tasking and you can learn 'tactics' to a point. But, it doesn't change the fact that experience with a real firearm is the only way to rock.

I've learned a lot about performance driving from good simulation games. You can't start there though, because otherwise you won't have a sense of what's missing from the simulation and what's not.

You could probably learn a ton about ballistics, come ups, the effects of wind & weather, and other mental aspects of shooting from a sufficiently well made simulation, but none of that will help you with the fundamentals (stable position, trigger pull, etc), nor will it help with any of the advanced physical aspects (control of breathing & heart rate, etc), the same way that a well done driving simulator can help you understand how one car accelerates, corners, and brakes compared to another, and what the layout of a racing circuit is, but actually driving the car around the course requires a bunch of physical skills that are much harder to acquire.

Call of Duty, however, is not a simulator of anything.

I've learned a lot about performance driving from good simulation games. You can't start there though, because otherwise you won't have a sense of what's missing from the simulation and what's not.

You could probably learn a ton about ballistics, come ups, the effects of wind & weather, and other mental aspects of shooting from a sufficiently well made simulation, but none of that will help you with the fundamentals (stable position, trigger pull, etc), nor will it help with any of the advanced physical aspects (control of breathing & heart rate, etc), the same way that a well done driving simulator can help you understand how one car accelerates, corners, and brakes compared to another, and what the layout of a racing circuit is, but actually driving the car around the course requires a bunch of physical skills that are much harder to acquire.

Call of Duty, however, is not a simulator of anything.

Agreed. ARMAII and Operation Flashpoint were reasonable sims. MW2 is just arcade fun.

I took a friend of mine to the range who had never shot before. Went over safety (firearm and range rules) with him of course. Anyway, after he took his first shot with my 1911, he looks at me and says, "Anyone who thinks videogames train you to shoot a gun is a f'ing idiot." [rofl]

I took a friend of mine to the range who had never shot before. Went over safety (firearm and range rules) with him of course. Anyway, after he took his first shot with my 1911, he looks at me and says, "Anyone who thinks videogames train you to shoot a gun is a f'ing idiot." [rofl]

It does desensitize you to pulling the trigger on someone. That's why the military does it and spends millions of dollars supporting the industry.

I think kids associate things to what the are surrounded with. Video games are big with kids and that is almost like a teacher to them. Older generations were around more and there was more family time back then. Now most likely both parents work and kids have no one to teach them things. Its not that the young generation is so bad its that their upbringing is really the problem. Kids are left to themselves more and dont have the guidance that we all did back then. I always try to give kids a break and teach them the right way. It is sad that society has become what it is but, it is what it is. We have come to a point that we have to work like dogs with insane hours just to make a living. Unfortunately with that comes that kids are left on their own more. Like Pete Townshend said "the kids are alright". But today they need a helping hand.

Back
Top Bottom