The ecstasy and the agony of my new 1911

Chuck

NES Member
Hi,

Finally had time to take my new-to-me 1911 to the range today. This was a barely used, it appears, custom job by LaRocca of Worcester. I bought it at a local shop with the two magazines used magazines. Barsto barrel, BoMar low-mount sights, nice light crsip trigger, and probably more I don't know enough to mention!

At the range was a friend trying out his new Walther. Mr. Bond and I placed 50' slow fire targets at the end of the 25-yard range (hey, it's all we had). Loaded up with cheap Winchester ammo from WalMart and had at it.

Shockingly good! I haven't fired a 45 since my dad's back in the 70's. I was surprised the recoil was so low, lower then my Glock 23 in .40. My first 14 were all in the black, probably only 1 or 2 out of the 8 ring. Point of aim was POI! This was free hand from 25 yards, I'm happy with that. I'll figure out later what a bench rest group looks like.

When James finished his second mag, however, the fun stopped. He and I had been using different magazines; switching off turns on the gun. After the 28th shot, the slide failed to stay open when the mag emptied. Surprise number one. I had my loaded mag ready; inserted it and rocked the slide -- and had a Failure To Feed; surprise number 2. Jammed it good -- couldn't even pull the mag out. Had to push the round into the chamber. Checked the mags, the rounds, looked into side the mag well, nothing unusual looking.

Fired off the mag, it held open OK. But now the mag would not drop free. Before this both mags always dropped free when I was dry firing, cleaning, and shooting. Now neither of the two mags that came with it (they don't look like anything special, just your standard government model mags) would drop free, had to pull them out.

Not knowing any better, we let the gun cool, thinking it might be heat expansion thing. After a few mags into his new Walther and my new-to-me Glock 17 (to go with the 26, 27, and the after-mentioned 23!) we tried it again, same thing. Failure to feed the first round, stove-piped, and the mag I had been using wouldn't drop; but the other one now would?!

I'll clean it all up as best I can tomorrow. Clean the mags too. Hopefully some free advice will come my way from you all! Then take it to the range again. Even with the mag and failure to cleanly swipe the first round off, the sucker shoots straight! I was hitting a laundry detergent jug all over the back stop at this point, both strong hand and week hand only. It's a shooter, just gotta figure these problems out. Have to say, with all my Glocks I've never had a single failure to fire or feed. Well, thanks for reading my ramblings.

cheers,
Chuck

Defective mag or bent slide stop.
If the magazine follower somehow gets over the top of the slide stop it won't drop out and the slide will not stay open.

jhrosier said:
Defective mag or bent slide stop.
If the magazine follower somehow gets over the top of the slide stop it won't drop out and the slide will not stay open.

AGREED!!! It sounds most definately a mag problem. Replace those mags with new ones and call it a day. Also, don't worry if the slide doesn't lock open after the last round is fired. I actually set my guns up so they won't lock open after the last shot is fired.

Pete

Get some Wilson mags. The slide lock is activated by the mag follower, so the feeding and the lock back problems are probably from one source. At the very least, use mags with fresh springs.

+1 on the Wilson's, my Smith 1911 has run 1500 to 2000 rds between cleanings (just to see how long it will go before it stops- and it hasn't yet I just go nuts because it is so wrong to see a gun that grungy)

Clean and lube.

Try different magazines. I'd buy some Chip Mc Cormicks and some
Wilsons.

Its also possibly something strange happened to your mag release, which
is why they wont drop free, but that could be a number of things,
too.

Also some slide locks, I've found that some smiths are overzealous about "fitting" the slide stop to the gun. So what you end up with is a "mr smarty pants" slide stop that only ends up working with certain magazines, because they ground off too much material from the stop. Fortunately its a cheap part, and you can "fit" your own easily with a dremel tool.

Also while your "under the hood" check for the presence of a wussbag recoil spring. A lot of the fancy smancy
custom guns floating around are frequently used by people shooting weak SWC loads out of the things, and they
often replace the normal 16-18 pound spring with something as low as like 12 pounds or less. Such weak recoil
springs can at worst cause erratic operation with normal loads, and at best, cause your gun to beat itself to
death or even impart more recoil back to your hands. (When I picked up my kimber CCT, you could hear the
metal smashing together HARD whenever you fired it, and lo and behold there was a weak 12 lb spring in there).

-Mike

Last edited:
While you're bringing it back to Mike LaRocca to fix whatever got messed up, he sells Chip McCormick 8 round mags for $20. I've got one that works great and will pick up another one or two when I next pop by his shop.

Actually Ross, I took you up on that advice after we talked at the June IDPA match. Four 8 round McCormick's Star magazines with pads. Cost more then over the web but it was nice to have him look over his work. He almost cried when I told him what I paid for it! Wanted to buy it from me right then and there. :) I posted a pic on "Show us your 1911" thread I am so proud.

Minimum time using the new mags, but no problems when I did. And while practicing Tac Loads they are all dropping free. A little bit tough to get in the mag well because of that extra leaf spring however. However I don't think that will be a problem when they're loaded. When my box of goodies arrives from MidwayUSA tomorrow I'll have Fobus holster and mag holders! I'll probably use this new toy at next Saturday's match!

If I don't make xxxxxxx (I should considering I've got to be the closest NES'er at just 1/2 a mile away but work might interrupt), have a great 4th everybody,
Chuck

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom