The ATF Just Left My House...

I was just audited by the ATF. They came and did an inspection for my 03FFL.

The guy was a riot...he was young...but he was really nice. He came over to my house so I wouldn't have to take off work and meet him in Boston.

I'm guessing that he spent about 20 or so minutes here. Looked at my book, asked me a few questions, we talked about SHOT Show, Guns, and how he got the job...that was most of our conversations...

Not much to it...my wife freaked out.

When he called this afternoon, I get a message from my wife..."Is there something that you need to tell me? The ATF called looking for you."

It was pretty funny.

Anyway, just wanted to share.

What did they inspect? I have a C&R but haven't purchased anything... except for discounted goodies at brownells and midway.

Thats pretty intense , do you have a lot of transactions?

Two...he laughed. That was most of the jokes..."I'm going to skip some of these questions as you've only bought two on your C&R and you've sold none."

Then we talked about how you can now keep records on-line... I asked what's that about...when started describing the details of the software. We both agreed that it wasn't worth it for two guns.

He was surprised that I've had my C&R since 01 and this was the first time I've been audited.

What did they inspect? I have a C&R but haven't purchased anything... except for discounted goodies at brownells and midway.

Like I said, he just wanted to see my books, and then compare them to the guns I have listed as C&R in my books to make sure that the serial numbers matched.

Most of the process we did over the phone this afternoon...so he wasn't here very long.

If I may ask, why did you invite them into your house vs. going to their offices?

If I may ask, why did you invite them into your house vs. going to their offices?

Because I don't have time built up at my new job. And instead of trying to explain to the Hospital why I needed to take time off, I asked if he wanted to come over instead.

It was 20 minutes...why take off a whole day for 20 minutes when they are willing to drive all over creation.

I would have lost time, had to pay for parking in Boston, and fight with traffic for 20 minutes.

And, for having my 03FFL, one of the deals is you're subject to suprise inspections. I find it very cool of him to call me ahead of time to work out a time to go over my books.

Like 1903Collector, I keep everything in order...so I didn't really care. He's just another guy. It was actually really cool to be able ask him all kinds of questions. It was very informative.

C-pher...I am glad to hear that he was a good guy. I work with those guys quite a bit and the guys currently in Boston have always been stand up.

Because I don't have time built up at my new job. And instead of trying to explain to the Hospital why I needed to take time off, I asked if he wanted to come over instead.

It was 20 minutes...why take off a whole day for 20 minutes when they are willing to drive all over creation.

I would have lost time, had to pay for parking in Boston, and fight with traffic for 20 minutes.

And, for having my 03FFL, one of the deals is you're subject to suprise inspections. I find it very cool of him to call me ahead of time to work out a time to go over my books.

Like 1903Collector, I keep everything in order...so I didn't really care. He's just another guy. It was actually really cool to be able ask him all kinds of questions. It was very informative.

Ahh what would he have likely said if you met him outside with your book/firearms?

ATF

I was just audited by the ATF. They came and did an inspection for my 03FFL.

The guy was a riot...he was young...but he was really nice. He came over to my house so I wouldn't have to take off work and meet him in Boston.

I'm guessing that he spent about 20 or so minutes here. Looked at my book, asked me a few questions, we talked about SHOT Show, Guns, and how he got the job...that was most of our conversations...

Not much to it...my wife freaked out.

When he called this afternoon, I get a message from my wife..."Is there something that you need to tell me? The ATF called looking for you."

It was pretty funny.

Anyway, just wanted to share.

Impossible,all cops are jerks,just ask Doobie.

Thanks for the info! I have my C&R and wondered what the interview would be like. Did they want to see your non-C&R transactions too? And did they ask to see a safe?

Ahh what would he have likely said if you met him outside with your book/firearms?

I don't know...you seem to catch more flys with honey than vinager.

I'm sure that if I said to him that he had to stand out in the snow and wind while I dug out my books and firearms...brought them onto the lawn for all my neighbors to see...it would have caused more harm than good. Like I said, he was a really good guy. Why would I want to piss him off? I don't have anything to hide.

It was my choice to have an 03FFL. I have to obey by the laws now...so why skirt an Audit that they have a right to do???

Thanks for the info! I have my C&R and wondered what the interview would be like. Did they want to see your non-C&R transactions too? And did they ask to see a safe?

I asked him about that because I was wondering. He said that he only cared about the C&Rs... And that he didn't care what I had personally. Only if I had a lot of C&Rs, he would want me to tag the personal ones so it's easy to tell the difference. But where I only had two, he didn't care if they were in the same safe. That was about the extent of that one.

He hunts, and has guns...so he said that he knows the headache with owning guns in MA. He was only there to talk about what was in my A&D books. Nothing else.

The only thing that we talked about was my reloading....and If I reloaded for money. When I told him no, that was the end of that. And that pretty much came up because he saw my press.

The only thing that we talked about was my reloading....and If I reloaded for money. When I told him no, that was the end of that. And that pretty much came up because he saw my press.

He asked me the same question...I guess the 500 empty 223 and 6.8 cases on my bench was a give away

Did you happen to have any C&R listed weapons that you didn't buy with the C&R, like CMP M1 or carbine? I only wonder about how that's gonna go. I've only bought on K98 with my C&R, but have purchased other C&R eligible rifles through CMP and through dealers.

I asked him that very question....If you buy say a K31....but purchace it via a 4473 it does not have to be in the bound book, only guns you acquire with your C&R license.

There seems to be quite a few inspections lately. I'd never heard of one before, then over the past month I know of a dozen personally. Activity seems to have increased. I wonder why.

Every person I've talked to who was inspected all said it was quick, painless, and the agent was at least polite, if not downright friendly.

There seems to be quite a few inspections lately. I'd never heard of one before, then over the past month I know of a dozen personally. Activity seems to have increased. I wonder why.

Every person I've talked to who was inspected all said it was quick, painless, and the agent was at least polite, if not downright friendly.

And thats all that matters, I have nothing to hide and neither should anyone else

And thats all that matters, I have nothing to hide and neither should anyone else

Tell that to the Jews during WW2 that were disarmed and killed. We need to get rid of the ATF. A gun is private property and the government has no business sticking its nose into my constitutional rights. I was thinking of getting a C&R but I don't like the fact that I will be subject to audit by the ATF.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom