That was fast!

Just re-enlisted on Wednesday for 5 and final (no more indefinite re-enlistments nowadays, and took 6 instead of indef last time to cash in on a bonus). Didn't think much of it since it's my fourth consecutive contract - none of the silly stand up in front of everyone, or go someplace stupid to sign it stuff. Have the personnel nerds e-mail it down, print it, sign it, boss gives oath and sign it, mail it back.

I was just reading an article about unemployment rates and it hit me - I only have 5 years to figure out (and plan for) what the hell I'm going to do when I grow up! I can't believe it's been 15 years already. Went by in a flash.

Congratulations! May your last hitch go off without a hitch! The retirement pay isn't the best in the world and who knows what the government will do in the future but TriCare is a good health plan, while not exactly free, it's much more affordable than outside stuff available. Best wishes!

Thank you for your service and congrats! I think you'll do just fine in the private sector when the time comes: veterans are very savvy people.

If I passed the hearing test on my physical I would have been retired for 12 years already. Now I will be pushing carriages until I drop.

Good luck.

Thank you for your service and congrats! I think you'll do just fine in the private sector when the time comes: veterans are very savvy people.

Still not looking forward to it. If I keep running boats for a living when I retire - any other employer in the world will fire me for doing what I get paid to do now. In fact, the same organization I work for now would probably pull my license for it! Any which way, it's starting to become real that I'm in the home stretch - makes me appreciate what I do now a lot more thinking about what I'll do when I retire. 5 years seems to me like start thinking about planning time.

Maybe I'll join the CG Auxiliary and raise hell with the active duty guys.

Still not looking forward to it. If I keep running boats for a living when I retire - any other employer in the world will fire me for doing what I get paid to do now. In fact, the same organization I work for now would probably pull my license for it! Any which way, it's starting to become real that I'm in the home stretch - makes me appreciate what I do now a lot more thinking about what I'll do when I retire. 5 years seems to me like start thinking about planning time.

If you come back to the North Shore; you'll have a slot in my Flotilla. We don't have any retired AD guys in the unit.

Congrads on re-enlisting!

Congrats and thank you for your service. A friend of mine was in the Navy for four years. He became a Captain on the ferry between Falmouth and the vineyard for 35 years. Nice gig.

Thanks for your service! If you intend to keep working full time then, depending on your current status, you might consider advancing your education level in preparation for your next career. I've had two careers since leaving the Navy and each was furthered by getting additional letters after my name.
Jim

Just re-enlisted on Wednesday for 5 and final (no more indefinite re-enlistments nowadays, and took 6 instead of indef last time to cash in on a bonus). Didn't think much of it since it's my fourth consecutive contract - none of the silly stand up in front of everyone, or go someplace stupid to sign it stuff. Have the personnel nerds e-mail it down, print it, sign it, boss gives oath and sign it, mail it back.

I was just reading an article about unemployment rates and it hit me - I only have 5 years to figure out (and plan for) what the hell I'm going to do when I grow up! I can't believe it's been 15 years already. Went by in a flash.

Start getting your shit together NOW for retirement:

1. Make CHIEF if you haven't yet.
  2. CG Institute college credit evaluation. BMC is now worth some nice UL credits.
  3. Finish out a degree using said evaluation, might I suggest EH&S? That is what the OIC of STA Philly is doing right now, and I have set him up with a mentor
  4. Use the shit out of tuition assistance NOW (if you can)
  5. Sock away some money. I had to live on $10.50 an hour with twins for a year, and if I hadn't had that padding, we would have drowned.
  6. If you don't finish a BS while still in, use the post 9/11 when you get out. The BAH itself is awesome.
  7. Start networking NOW. do it anyway you can. See my LinkedIn profile for example of what a BM can use.

If you come back to the North Shore; you'll have a slot in my Flotilla. We don't have any retired AD guys in the unit.

It's a trap [rofl]. Moose, is your Flotilla with Mr. Weatherbee and Ms. Tiernan?

Ron, that's exactly where I'm at - the realization that 'oh shit; time to figure out what I'm going to do when I grow up and start getting lined up for it'. I'll drop you a PM when I get my laptop working again so I'm not typing on this damned iPhone that keeps ringing for stupid shit (life of an Ops Boss. When does my leave end, I'm sick, I locked the armory keys in the safe, I think the Messcook has Ebola, the SN just beat the shit out of the MK2 for stealing his dip, we need a new fire extinguisher in the watchroom but no straight answer why, the SA just offered a bunch of kids twenty bucks to catch a wild rooster while in uniform (no shit, that happened), some angry guy that doesn't speak English just showed up and the new boot, turns out, speaks 4 Eastern European languages - but not that one...)

We have possibly many mutual acquaintances. Considine, Coon, Andreesen, Murphy (going way back) Hentosh, Pieras, Matthews, Agostino, Kruger.......

Damn.
Could be, I know a few people that operate out of Division 4, which is based out of CGSTA Gloucester.

I was at the meet and greet with the new DIRAUX on Thursday night. He seems quite suportive of us and the work we do for him. I've been in for five years, and in a leadership position for three and this is the first time the DIRAUX asked the flotillas and divisions for meet and greets.

You're welcome to come to our next Flotilla meeting in Lowell in November to see what we're all about. I'm sure the more senior people have mutual acquaintances with you.

When it comes to the Lifeboat Station side of the Coast Guard (excuse me, 'multi-mission ashore'), EVERYONE has mutual acquaintances...surprisingly small community. I worked for and worked with a few guys that spent some time up at Merrimack.

Ron, I think Merrimack is where Dave blew the windshield out on a 44 years and years before I worked for him. That guy was one hell of an OiC - one of the best I ever worked for. Wouldn't still be in this job if he wasn't as patient as he is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom