• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

For those that use the mil discount at Lowe's...

Just got blindsided by this today. Buying over $300 in lumber, no discount. Been nice to be able save on the tax plus a little, no more. Think I need to start doing my part to help crash the economy and stop spending money.

Just got blindsided by this today. Buying over $300 in lumber, no discount. Been nice to be able save on the tax plus a little, no more. Think I need to start doing my part to help crash the economy and stop spending money.
A veteran friend of mine who worked at Lowes (until this happened...he quit) told me that many were leaving their items unpaid in front of the cashier and walking. The thing that really pissed him off was that Lowes (and HD) are still crowing about how they love and help the vets. How? By putting up a couple of Vet parking only places near their handicapped parking spaces? Sorry...thanks for nothing a**h***s.

$300 worth of lumber??? Sounds like four or five 2x4's [rofl]

A veteran friend of mine who worked at Lowes (until this happened...he quit) told me that many were leaving their items unpaid in front of the cashier and walking. The thing that really pissed him off was that Lowes (and HD) are still crowing about how they love and help the vets. How? By putting up a couple of Vet parking only places near their handicapped parking spaces? Sorry...thanks for nothing a**h***s.

$300 worth of lumber??? Sounds like four or five 2x4's [rofl]
Honestly, I can't get upset over the discount. Yeah, it sucks when it doesn't apply, but I can't bring myself to feel entitled to it. Maybe when I'm older I'll hit a boomer vet phase and that'll change. But the parking spaces are pretty legit - they don't seem to do that out here in MA as much as in CA, odd as that may sound. Where I lived out there the parking lot was usually nuts, so those prime parking spots were awesome. THAT would have pissed me off if they suddenly took those away.

Honestly, I can't get upset over the discount. Yeah, it sucks when it doesn't apply, but I can't bring myself to feel entitled to it. Maybe when I'm older I'll hit a boomer vet phase and that'll change. But the parking spaces are pretty legit - they don't seem to do that out here in MA as much as in CA, odd as that may sound. Where I lived out there the parking lot was usually nuts, so those prime parking spots were awesome. THAT would have pissed me off if they suddenly took those away.
It was nice while it lasted...I saved tens of thousands of dollars when I built the house in NH in 2011. It was right after they started the discount program and I really appreciated what they did. I didn't feel any entitlement to it but for me, it was a windfall as I was building a house and it came in handy...it was presented to me and I took advantage of it. I was able to afford better quality stuff for the house because of it. It's not "boomer" thing...I know kids that are in or were in the mil that were using it and they are pissed too.

The thing that really pissed me off is the way it was handled. If they had said, "Hey Vets, in 30 days the discount will be reduced only to these certain things", it might have been easier to take but there were literally cart loads of stuff left in the store checkout lanes because no one was aware of this until they went to check out. I only heard about it from my friend that worked there that quit the day they rolled it out. People were embarrassed and pissed.

So f*** them and the horse they rode in on.

It was nice while it lasted...I saved tens of thousands of dollars when I built the house in NH in 2011. It was right after they started the discount program and I really appreciated what they did. I didn't feel any entitlement to it but for me, it was a windfall as I was building a house and it came in handy...it was presented to me and I took advantage of it. I was able to afford better quality stuff for the house because of it. It's not "boomer" thing...I know kids that are in or were in the mil that were using it and they are pissed too.

The thing that really pissed me off is the way it was handled. If they had said, "Hey Vets, in 30 days the discount will be reduced only to these certain things", it might have been easier to take but there were literally cart loads of stuff left in the store checkout lanes because no one was aware of this until they went to check out. I only heard about it from my friend that worked there that quit the day they rolled it out. People were embarrassed and pissed.

So f*** them and the horse they rode in on.
I hope I didn't sound like I was taking a shot at you with the boomer vet comment - wasn't my intent at all. I was more laughing at myself for being more annoyed that they don't have the prime parking spots at my nearest HD's. It WOULD be really cool if they applied the discount to materials, too, though. I have some big projects coming up that it would make a big difference.

Damnit, now that I'm thinking about it and dwelling on it, maybe I AM actually annoyed about it!

I hope I didn't sound like I was taking a shot at you with the boomer vet comment - wasn't my intent at all. I was more laughing at myself for being more annoyed that they don't have the prime parking spots at my nearest HD's. It WOULD be really cool if they applied the discount to materials, too, though. I have some big projects coming up that it would make a big difference.

Damnit, now that I'm thinking about it and dwelling on it, maybe I AM actually annoyed about it!
Nope, I didn't take it that way. I got a kick out of the fact that you were annoyed your store didn't have vet parking spots...they may actually be there but they probably aren't next to the handicapped spaces as I alluded to. There were almost always empty spaces closer to the front door than the vet spaces. Now I have to drive an hour and a half to get to Home Despot and/or Blowes so it's actually cheaper for me to buy locally, even when the 2x4's are >$8 a piece. :oops:

(they are not that much cheaper at the big box stores and they look like propeller blanks.)

I can't get mad about it, it was a nice benefit that they didn't need to do. I think leaving carts of merchandise because you're having a snowflake moment because you don't get your way is a douche move.

I worked with a guy who had a restaurant and got crapped on (good natured, not mean) for not giving a veteran discount (he was in our unit). I posed the question about his business being vet owned, does he get to charge extra because he's a vet? Or do the hand outs only go one way? (I was trying to be offensive)

At HomeDepot they now make you make you download their app on your phone that you have to show them instead of an ID. They also told me that it has been limited to $400 per year.

It's kind of a pain in the ass, but using the self checkout once you are done scanning all your items, you'll see military discount on the screen. Punch that then scan the code in the app. Then hit pay and you'll see that the discount took.
My ex used to do the self checkout at BJ’s. Once everything was scanned, she would start scanning all the coupons they sent in the mail. Even for stuff she didn’t buy.

Usually it would deduct the coupons no matter what she bought. I guess this is a well known scam but they don’t care enough to check.

Back
Top Bottom