• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Army Aviators told that they owe another three years??

allen-1

NES Member
Hundreds of Army aviation officers who were set to leave the military are being held to another three years of service after they say the branch quietly reinterpreted part of their contract amid retention and recruitment issues.

The shift has sparked an uproar among the more than 600 affected active-duty commissioned officers, including some who say their plans to start families, launch businesses and begin their civilian lives have been suddenly derailed.

SOURCE: Army aviators, ready to leave the military, are told they owe 3 more years instead

I mean…not exactly cool, but that’s kinda how it goes. You raise that right hand and they own you. I toyed with the idea of going back, but i did two extra years already on top of my required contractual obligation and decided I probably wouldn’t fit in very well any longer.

A friend of mine’s son was a helicopter mechanic in the 101st and participated in the invasion of Iraq. He got out just before the stop loss. He used his GI bill to get a commercial helicopter pilot’s license and to also convert his mechanic experience into an A&P. Near the end of his first year out, he was called back in — I think his first year out he was part of the ready reserve and subject to recall.

Given all his experience with flying and maintaining helicopters, the Pentagon, with its typical sense of humor, assigned him to a counter-air battery.

I mean…not exactly cool, but that’s kinda how it goes. You raise that right hand and they own you. I toyed with the idea of going back, but i did two extra years already on top of my required contractual obligation and decided I probably wouldn’t fit in very well any longer.
No, that's really not how it goes unless we are actively engaged in a "congressionally declared war".

Government is obligated to uphold their end of a contract just like any commissioned officer or enlisted man.

Government fvcked itself with regards to missed recruiting numbers by the introduction of all the bullshit woke policies. Fvck them as far as I'm concerned, they deserve exactly what they get, dwindling enlisted ranks and resigning of commissioned officers.

No, that's really not how it goes unless we are actively engaged in a "congressionally declared war".

Government is obligated to uphold their end of a contract just like any commissioned officer or enlisted man.

Government fvcked itself with regards to missed recruiting numbers by the introduction of all the bullshit woke policies. Fvck them as far as I'm concerned, they deserve exactly what they get, dwindling enlisted ranks and resigning of commissioned officers.
It seems like you’re seeking out my posts lately just to disagree with them.

The point I was making is that there’s really not much these airmen are going to be able to do about it. I don’t agree with it.

Aviation is VERY expensive to train. I understand WHY they’re doing this, but no, it’s not ‘on the level.’

Nothing new. When we signed, we sign for more than the stated active duty time. Mine was a minimum of 3 yrs active but my enlistment period was 9 years total. Got reactivated for the 1st sand box after being out for 4yrs.
WOW!!! 4 friggen years?!?! That’s NUTS. I’ve been out for 4 years and although I’ve stayed in ‘okay shape’, I’m not in Marine Corps shape anymore.

Were you also forced to extend your contract to finish out the deployment?

WOW!!! 4 friggen years?!?! That’s NUTS. I’ve been out for 4 years and although I’ve stayed in ‘okay shape’, I’m not in Marine Corps shape anymore.

Were you also forced to extend your contract to finish out the deployment?
I was in a similar situation, all my BDU's mysteriously shrunk too! Needed full new issue. Negative on the contract extension. 1st Gulf was a unique situation, US was still in the midst of switching from M60's to the M1's. A whole lot of us 60 tankers got called back up as that was the predominent main battle tank in inventory over there at the time.

This is why, when I decided to resign, I took great care to make sure it would cost the Army a lot of time and effort to branch-qualify me if they decided to recall me. Which turned out to be wise, since I got out about three months before 9/11. Even so, I sweated every day until June 2005, which was when my commitment actually expired.

Every officer knows they're committed for eight years minimum. They all know (or should know) they incur additional ADSOs for every single school they go to in order to remain branch-qualified, and aviators go to a LOT of schools. If the Army chooses to let you ETS, go back to school, and start a family, that's great. But they don't have to, and they never have had to.

Sucks to be those officers. But they should have known.

It seems like you’re seeking out my posts lately just to disagree with them.

The point I was making is that there’s really not much these airmen are going to be able to do about it. I don’t agree with it.

Aviation is VERY expensive to train. I understand WHY they’re doing this, but no, it’s not ‘on the level.’
No, I'm not doing that at all. I've refuted plenty of people's post on here, none of it done with any malice or deliberate intent.

Maybe if the DOD wasnt so dysfunctional and leadership not so obsessed with bombing brown people or whatever, they could retain people.

Most of the people I know that get out get out because they cant handle the dysfunction for that long. Theres this thing like "yeah we get a new boss, its just like the old one, sometimes more or slightly less retarded, but they still retarded. And the only cool people are the ones willing to take risks at spuring the rules promulgated by the retarded people" etc so on.

A friend of mine’s son was a helicopter mechanic in the 101st and participated in the invasion of Iraq. He got out just before the stop loss. He used his GI bill to get a commercial helicopter pilot’s license and to also convert his mechanic experience into an A&P. Near the end of his first year out, he was called back in — I think his first year out he was part of the ready reserve and subject to recall.

Given all his experience with flying and maintaining helicopters, the Pentagon, with its typical sense of humor, assigned him to a counter-air battery.

My son was Army intel and linguist. He finished his ready reserve status last month.

When I see this I wonder if the powers making this decision know something we don't about near term conflict.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, etc...

My son was Army intel and linguist. He finished his ready reserve status last month.

When I see this I wonder if the powers making this decision know something we don't about near term conflict.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, etc...

They know that people are seeing the woke BS and more dysfunction (not to mention that whole vaxx thing) and they realize that going forward its going to be harder to get people to "volunteer" for things. There was always a steady state of DOD dysfunction but its easy to show a hugely buffed % in the past decade.

Wait til a D President has to reinstate the draft, including women, then you'll see some sh*t go down

"It has been this unanimous uprising of emotions and frustrations," said another Army aviation captain, who is newly married and wanted to begin having children.
The newlywed said it has been difficult for him and his wife to accept a three-year delay in starting a family.
"That was the big kick in the gonads," he said. "We wanted to start having kids, and we no longer can. It’s a stressor we didn’t plan to deal with."

Didn't stop my parents from having me pop out just prior to Dad shipping out to Vietnam. Dad flew 3 tours and over 200 combat missions for the Marines while Mom did her best back home. I knew a kid my age whose USMC pilot dad didn't come home. Not to make light of helicopter crew's service over the last 10 years, but how many were shot down and/or KIA? Not that I have a right to do so, but I think @Skysoldier is perfectly justified in breaking out that tiny violin.

Maybe if the DOD wasnt so dysfunctional and leadership not so obsessed with bombing brown people or whatever, they could retain people.

Most of the people I know that get out get out because they cant handle the dysfunction for that long. Theres this thing like "yeah we get a new boss, its just like the old one, sometimes more or slightly less retarded, but they still retarded. And the only cool people are the ones willing to take risks at spuring the rules promulgated by the retarded people" etc so on.

SO MUCH of any individual soldier's decision to stay or go depends on his immediate chain of command. A good battalion commander knows how to make the Army feel awesome every day; a lesser leader shows up, and people haemorrhage. I saw it happen: we were the best battalion in FORSCOM when I got there after a long chain of great commanders, then they swapped out a very capable BC for a political hack and people couldn't leave that battalion fast enough.

A lot of them were guys who'd been in those units for five or six or even eight years, troopers who had reenlisted (TWICE!) specifically to stay in that battalion.

Jesus even @vcman is laughing.... 😂

"It has been this unanimous uprising of emotions and frustrations," said another Army aviation captain, who is newly married and wanted to begin having children.
The newlywed said it has been difficult for him and his wife to accept a three-year delay in starting a family.
"That was the big kick in the gonads," he said. "We wanted to start having kids, and we no longer can. It’s a stressor we didn’t plan to deal with."

Didn't stop my parents from having me pop out just prior to Dad shipping out to Vietnam. Dad flew 3 tours and over 200 combat missions for the Marines while Mom did her best back home. I knew a kid my age whose USMC pilot dad didn't come home. Not to make light of helicopter crew's service over the last 10 years, but how many were shot down and/or KIA? Not that I have a right to do so, but I think @Skysoldier is perfectly justified in breaking out that tiny violin.
Eff him...a boomer

SO MUCH of any individual soldier's decision to stay or go depends on his immediate chain of command. A good battalion commander knows how to make the Army feel awesome every day; a lesser leader shows up, and people haemorrhage. I saw it happen: we were the best battalion in FORSCOM when I got there after a long chain of great commanders, then they swapped out a very capable BC for a political hack and people couldn't leave that battalion fast enough.

A lot of them were guys who'd been in those units for five or six or even eight years, troopers who had reenlisted (TWICE!) specifically to stay in that battalion.
Your cheerful can-do attitude would have seriously sucked in the Rice Bowl....Frags out

Agree 100%. I experienced the same thing during my enlistment in two different duty stations.

A shit battalion commander or company/battery commander will make or break the morale of people under them.

Excuse me?

Attitude? I'm describing something that happened, not my feelings about it...
I'm describing something that happened as well...nothing to do with you.....Gun Platoon SAF humor, set a claymore up with a tripwire in 'tops' hooch.

He saw the trigger wire glistening in the AM light.....left the next day....Tru Dat

Sorry war/man at it's most base has an irresistible logic to survive, anything that broaches that logic is dealt with without emotion. Effed -up for sure. but it's own internal logic is survival. Yea professional meant shite... calling in airstrikes drunk at 3am did

I'm describing something that happened as well...nothing to do with you.....Gun Platoon SAF humor, set a claymore up with a tripwire in 'tops' hooch.

He saw the trigger wire glistening in the AM light.....left the next day....Tru Dat
A subtle hint 😎

Back
Top Bottom