An Air Battle That Never Officially Happened

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member

97-Year-Old Veteran Recounts Top Secret Aerial Battle Hidden From American Public for Decades​

In an aerial “dogfight” that made U.S. naval history, Korean War veteran Royce Williams beat out seven Russian fighter jets on his own through nearly impossible odds—one he was forbidden from discussing for more than 40 years amid Cold War tension.

The year was 1952, in the midst of the Korean War. Williams was stationed near the 38th parallel—the demarcation point between North and South Korea—not knowing a battle about to commence would forever make him a legend.

Williams, who had been flying an F9F-5 Panther, was then instructed to not engage since the enemy aircraft were Soviet.

Through a combination of luck and skill, Williams was able to exploit mistakes made by the Soviets and came away with three confirmed kills, with a fourth probable that was later confirmed.

During the Cold War, U.S. engagement with Soviet aircraft was a nearly unprecedented event that, if it were revealed, might have led to direct fighting amid political tensions.

Facing the possibility of a third world war if the news of his engagement with the Soviets came out, Williams was advised to not discuss the dogfight with anyone until the early 1990s, according to Williams.

We apparently knew they were Soviets. Their experience level could not have been all that great.

I get my Soviets mixed up with NK Democrats...:p It's my somewhat limited understanding that in '52' the Mig's outclassed everything we had until the arrival of the F-86 and the 'Top Gun' school grads @ late '52'?

I get my Soviets mixed up with NK Democrats...:p It's my somewhat limited understanding that in '52' the Mig's outclassed everything we had until the arrival of the F-86 and the 'Top Gun' school grads @ late '52'?
I'm pretty sure the MiG out performed the F86, but our tactics were that much better.

Once upon a time, I had a flight instructor that flew combat missions in F86s. Best flight instructor I ever had.

I'm pretty sure the MiG out performed the F86, but our tactics were that much better.

Once upon a time, I had a flight instructor that flew combat missions in F86s. Best flight instructor I ever had.

Here is the observations of one man who was there.

Back
Top Bottom