• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thank you, Derek, for starting NES

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
I got to thinking yesterday about how my life has changed since I stumbled across NorthEastShooters back in 2005.

My gun collection has increased - by a LOT. I've learned a lot, and I'm a better shooter than I was. I've gotten involved in Appleseed, IDPA, Steel Challenge and pin shooting. I'm an instructor with both Appleseed and the NRA. I have a will that dictates where my guns will go when I die (and yes, this is because of Derek - bear with me).

I've met a LOT of good people, and made some good friends. MrsWildWeasel, Luv2BFree, Lupis42, Jay G, Mark056, AbiffMaster, N1ZFG, Nickle, Jwilson, JonJ, LenS, Pilgrim, MrTwigg, Cross-X (who wrote that will I mentioned!), MrsMagnum, Frosty... I can think of dozens more without trying hard!

What sparked this? Well... I was in Clinton yesterday at IDC (yeah, blame Derek again for it - I probably wouldn't have known about it without NES) and saw Mark056 walk in. We greeted each other like the Brothers we are, and I got to thinking how cool it was to be out somewhere and run into someone you know. This might not be a big thing for you natives, but as most of you know, I moved up here from NJ... so while I do have a circle of friends up here that I've met over the last 2+ decades, I don't often just meet them on the street.

So, Derek... I'm very glad that back in 2005 you got the idea to start a gun forum. My life has been enriched by the people I've met on NES and the new experiences I've tried, and I just wanted to say a public "thank you".

Aw, shucks Ross. I agree though. I have met many great people here, and also watched the board grow. Many I call friend also.

Without adding to the salivation left on the boss' posterior I wholeheartedly agree.

You are a good guy Ross, even though you were from Jersey.

Which exit?

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

I couldn't agree more. NES is much more of a "community" than a forum. Great group of people willing to help with whatever expertise they possess, a wealth of information and a great place for helping us spend our money on all the special deals, group buys, etc. [wink]

Here's to Derek and the Mods who make this place what it is! [cheers]

I'm just coming up on 1 year on NES, and I agree wholeheartedly. Though I've lived here practically my whole life, I think I'd almost rather "run into" any number of NESers that I've met than some people I've known for years. Very well said Ross.

Whats the difference between ass kissing and brown nosing?

Depth perception.

Kidding. This place is a goldmine! (with the occasional land mine)

Thanks for the reminder Ross.

Ross:

I'm trying to decide if you were having a group hug moment, were drunk, or are a reputation whore like Blitz1.

Well, you already have plent of points, so it's probably not that. It could have been happy hour or you just need a hug. Which is it old man? (even though I agree with you on all points [wink][smile])

Ross:

I'm trying to decide if you were having a group hug moment, were drunk, or are a reputation whore like Blitz1.

Group hug moment. Seriously, yesterday I ran into a friend at the gun store, and today I spend the morning with a bunch more friends at the Steel Challenge. It felt great!

And I guess, what with having to put my little furry buddy to sleep this week, that I'm being a bit more sentimental and introspective. I just got to thinking how much I've changed, and how much my life has changed since I [strike]started wasting half my life in front of a computer[/strike] signed onto NES for the first time.

Nothing nefarious, no pleas for rep points (unless I can trade them in for an 1861 Springfield, that is! [laugh]), just thinking and reflecting. (I know that us burly, manly gun owners are supposed to just let our knuckles drag on the ground and say "Ugh"... but I've never liked being a stereotype, and I've always enjoyed blowing people's minds when I don't fit a stereotype!)

Last edited:
Agreed! I'm very happy to have found this place and am very happy to have met the wonderful folks I have (so far) from here. Thanks to Derek for starting it and all of the [strike]cat herders[/strike] moderators who keep the place running smooth.

I agree my life would deff be different if i wasnt turned on to NES a few years back. I have met about half a dozen people from the forum and all are stand up guys I am glad to have met. My knowledge has very much improved from everybodies imput. My gun collection has grown mainly to my exposure to types of guns I never would have even thought to look at if it werent for the people on NES. Example one would be the mosin I got a couple weeks ago. Its deffinatley a great forum That i will be a member to as long as it stays in existance. - Thanks Derek

I have to be honest, I don't really like any of you people. But since I'm such an A-hole, no other group will have me.

J/K Thanks for reminding everybody of a what a nice community/resource that we have here Ross.

I think we need to thank Derek and ourselves for making this such a fine network of individuals all gunning for the same causes; to learn, have fun, meet new friends, and to have a fine place for our passion. Thank you all!

I got to thinking yesterday about how my life has changed since I stumbled across NorthEastShooters back in 2005.

My gun collection has increased - by a LOT. I've learned a lot, and I'm a better shooter than I was. I've gotten involved in Appleseed, IDPA, Steel Challenge and pin shooting. I'm an instructor with both Appleseed and the NRA. I have a will that dictates where my guns will go when I die (and yes, this is because of Derek - bear with me).

I've met a LOT of good people, and made some good friends. MrsWildWeasel, Luv2BFree, Lupis42, Jay G, Mark056, AbiffMaster, N1ZFG, Nickle, Jwilson, JonJ, LenS, Pilgrim, MrTwigg, Cross-X (who wrote that will I mentioned!), MrsMagnum, Frosty... I can think of dozens more without trying hard!

What sparked this? Well... I was in Clinton yesterday at IDC (yeah, blame Derek again for it - I probably wouldn't have known about it without NES) and saw Mark056 walk in. We greeted each other like the Brothers we are, and I got to thinking how cool it was to be out somewhere and run into someone you know. This might not be a big thing for you natives, but as most of you know, I moved up here from NJ... so while I do have a circle of friends up here that I've met over the last 2+ decades, I don't often just meet them on the street.

So, Derek... I'm very glad that back in 2005 you got the idea to start a gun forum. My life has been enriched by the people I've met on NES and the new experiences I've tried, and I just wanted to say a public "thank you".

I was also there yesterday, What time where you there I was there from 12-1 or so

I really don't want to "pile on" to an internet group hug, but Ross did something that we need to be reminded of on a regular basis. NES is a great forum and an outstanding place to spend some time, share information, and debate the issues. Not to mention checking out new products.

Derek deserves our thanks and our support.

Thanks to NES, I have come to realize how dumb I am. I am somewhat of a noob to the firearms sport and after reading topic after topic of opinions,questions,advice ,explanations, reviews,and where to find just about anything on earth, I have become a more knowledgeable shooter and enjoy it a lot more.
Thanks to Derek and all the NES members,I am getting a little smarter every day !

Back
Top Bottom