Texas signs

I disagree it actually flies under the radar all the time unless you're involved in something stupid.....
Comment misunderstood. I meant that the issue of "commoner carry" does not fly under the radar in TX because people are repeatedly reminded of it by the variety of no guns signs of various flavors on business entrances.

It flies almost completely under the radar here in MA.

Last edited:
Keep in mind also that government buildings, with certain exceptions can not prohibit concealed or open carry. I've been to the convention centers in Houston, Austin, Dallas, and Fort Worth, all owned by various government entities. None had a sign.

Lots of place in Austin have signs, many either improperly lettered or improperly displayed. One restaurant had a properly lettered sign, but it was behind the hostesss stand and hidden unless you happened to walk by and see it while leaving the facility.

If you posted a picture, it's not here.

Texas specifies the size of the sign, wording, specific text and the sign has to be in both English and Espanol. The law also specifies that it has to be conspicuously posted at all entrances.

A non-compliant one at Dennys:

So, to a non-resident, it looks compliant. What makes it non?

Keep in mind also that government buildings, with certain exceptions can not prohibit concealed or open carry. I've been to the convention centers in Houston, Austin, Dallas, and Fort Worth, all owned by various government entities. None had a sign.

Lots of place in Austin have signs, many either improperly lettered or improperly displayed. One restaurant had a properly lettered sign, but it was behind the hostesss stand and hidden unless you happened to walk by and see it while leaving the facility.

Please amend your phrasing before you get someone effed over.

You could test this theory by visiting your post office or the Federal building in Boston while open carrying.

Please amend your phrasing before you get someone effed over.

You could test this theory by visiting your post office or the Federal building in Boston while open carrying.
Since this is a thread on TX gun laws/posting, I think we got that he meant Texas Gov't buildings, and not necessarily Federal. :)

Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun”;  or

(B) a sign posted on the property that:

(i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;

(ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height;  and

(iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
Minimum 1" font size for starters.

North Carolina is the same way, but they are less stringent on the signs. If it says "no guns" then they can trespass you at minimum IIRC. I can't remember now, but they might have to give you a chance to leave before calling the cops. There were prohibited signs EVERYWHERE, on greenways, parking garages etc...you know, all the places you want to be armed the most. The difference is, there is no defacto firearms registration, and no license to simply possess that they can revoke. It actually required some rigamarole (there's a word for that...ooh yeah, due process) that had to be gone through to confiscate all of your guns. I think that is the big difference. I would take some signs at the entrances to places where "concealed is concealed" rather than "turn in your gunz subject!" at the drop of a hat.

I still remember a trip to Galveston in 1977 during Spring Break from Iowa State University. We stopped at a Drive Thru Liquor Store and there was a Drive Thru Gun Shop immediately down the driveway, with a 1ft gap between roofs. The law said guns could not be sold in the same building as alcohol. They rented too, so we rented a revolver and shot at some cactus for a while.

Signs signs everywhere the signs
Annoying all the people
Just pay them no mind.
"Do this, don't do that."
Hey - here's your sign!

;) (Credit to Bill Engvale (sp) and Five Man Electric Band (sp?))

Back
Top Bottom