• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Texas man Shoots His Neighbor’s Dog

The shooting occurred after Flynn received a tearful call from his wife informing him that their pet cat was dead. A neighbor told Flynn’s wife that a German shepherd had been standing over the deceased cat, though it is not clear that anyone witnessed the attack itself. After a neighbor tipped him off on where he could find the dog, Flynn spotted the German shepherd along with a pit bull. He shot at the dog, fatally wounding it.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...ice-chief-at-first-denied-shooting-at-dog.ece

I think this should of be handled differently. He should of called the animal control.

Sorry if this is a dupe.

he is a regular Wyatt Earp, fired 4-5 times and was unsure if he hit it? He is areal poster boy for LE.

Forgot to mention he's a cop... who lied (surprise surprise)

FORT WORTH — A Fort Worth police deputy chief who faces an animal cruelty charge for shooting and fatally wounding a German shepherd last week initially lied to officers and a sheriff’s deputy, telling them that he was not involved in the shooting, an arrest warrant affidavit states.

And exhibited typical cop like behavior.. POS

Feeling unsafe because the dogs were standing at different angles from him and were “eyeing him,” Flynn said he got back into his SUV and followed the German shepherd. When the dog stopped in a vacant field with no houses behind it, he said he fired four to five rounds out his SUV window at the dog but didn’t know if the dog was hit.
He told investigators that he then drove home.

Years ago my uncle had a neighbor poison his Alaskan Samoyed. Timmy used to bark at the coons and squirrels in the woods. He had been in several arguments with the neighbor about it. When they found Timmy dead near his half empty food bowl they had the food tested. It was loaded with rat poison.

He went next door w/ a copy of the analysis and his 12 ga. When the owner and dog answered the door, he handed the guy the paper and shot his dog at his feet. That neighbor was never a problem again and moved within a year... It probably could have been handled differently but, an eye for an eye works for me.

In the case from the article, just seeing the dog standing over something that is dead wouldn't be enough evidence for me. Maybe if its' face was covered in blood like it had just ripped it up. Even then it may have just found it and taken a little taste...

Years ago my uncle had a neighbor poison his Alaskan Samoyed. Timmy used to bark at the coons and squirrels in the woods. He had been in several arguments with the neighbor about it. When they found Timmy dead near his half empty food bowl they had the food tested. It was loaded with rat poison.

He went next door w/ a copy of the analysis and his 12 ga. When the owner and dog answered the door, he handed the guy the paper and shot his dog at his feet. That neighbor was never a problem again and moved within a year... It probably could have been handled differently but, an eye for an eye works for me.

In the case from the article, just seeing the dog standing over something that is dead wouldn't be enough evidence for me. Maybe if its' face was covered in blood like it had just ripped it up. Even then it may have just found it and taken a little taste...

I would think it would be more humane to shoot the owner and take his dog. The dog sure didn't put the poison in the food.

Years ago my uncle had a neighbor poison his Alaskan Samoyed. Timmy used to bark at the coons and squirrels in the woods.

My neighbor's small dog barks constantly. The owners are a pair of lawyers that treat the dog like a child and allow it to go in and out at will through a doggie door. I've talked to them several times about it and they refuse to control the dog, telling me that would be "cruel."

There's not much you can do about a nuisance dog, unfortunately, but if TS ever truly HTF..........[frown]

So anyway, there's always two sides to a story. But there's a right way and a wrong way to deal with it, obviously.

My neighbor's small dog barks constantly. The owners are a pair of lawyers that treat the dog like a child and allow it to go in and out at will through a doggie door. I've talked to them several times about it and they refuse to control the dog, telling me that would be "cruel."

There's not much you can do about a nuisance dog, unfortunately, but if TS ever truly HTF..........[frown]

So anyway, there's always two sides to a story. But there's a right way and a wrong way to deal with it, obviously.

There's a device out there called, an ultrasonic no bark or something similar to that name. You push a button on the device and it makes an annoying sound that only the dog hears. I know someone who, like you, have neighbor's with small dogs that bark all the time when it's outside. They use the device a lot, and they swear by it. I've seen it work and the dogs really do shut up.

There's a device out there called, an ultrasonic no bark or something similar to that name. You push a button on the device and it makes an annoying sound that only the dog hears. I know someone who, like you, have neighbor's with small dogs that bark all the time when it's outside. They use the device a lot, and they swear by it. I've seen it work and the dogs really do shut up.

I think it's triggered by the bark..you don't even have to press a button...just hang it up. I've read mixed reviews on the devices....some dogs are unaffected while some shut right up.

I think it's triggered by the bark..you don't even have to press a button...just hang it up. I've read mixed reviews on the devices....some dogs are unaffected while some shut right up.

Must be all sorts of them. The one my friend has they press the button. The automatic one seems like it would be better.

Under the Texas Health and Safety Code, a dog or coyote that has recently attacked a domestic animal may be killed by any person witnessing the attack or by the attacked animal’s owner if that owner had knowledge of the attack.
His only mistake was firing out the window, then not reporting it

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is the distance to the dog. It has a yappy bark that carries a long way but it's out of range of the smaller ultrasound devices. I actually went as far as buying a kind of ultrasound cannon from this crazy New Hampshire company but it arrived looking like a kit with no enclosure and so far I haven't gotten around to setting it up.

He went next door w/ a copy of the analysis and his 12 ga. When the owner and dog answered the door, he handed the guy the paper and shot his dog at his feet. That neighbor was never a problem again and moved within a year...

THUG LIFE!

I would think it would be more humane to shoot the owner and take his dog. The dog sure didn't put the poison in the food.

Have to agree with you on that one. Hell the dog would not have been a good witness to the guy being shot.

Without proof and catching it in the act he handled it poorly to say the least... We caught a husky attacking or sheep one time and beat the shit outta it, didn't kill it only cause we were 12-14 so no guns around. We also wrapped a terrier that was attacking em in electric fence and left it on for an hour or so... Never did see those dogs around again.

on the other hand if my dog (avatar) killed another persons pet/livestock unprovoked and there was proof, I'd shoot him myself.

And this is why we have laws, cause anarchy and vigilantism... Just saying.

Doesnt cover pets just livestock and people but you can legally kill any dog for attacking a person or livestock in mass without any repercussions.

§ 156. Killing dogs under certain conditions; wounded dogs

Any person may kill a dog which suddenly assaults him while he is peaceably standing, walking or riding outside the enclosure of its owner or keeper; and any person may kill a dog found out of the enclosure of its owner or keeper and not under his immediate care in the act of worrying, wounding or killing persons, live stock or fowls, and if any person shall kill or attempt to kill a dog so found, and in the act of worrying, wounding or killing persons, live stock or fowls, he shall not be held liable for cruelty to the dog unless it shall be shown that he intended to be cruel to the dog, or that he acted with a wanton and reckless disregard for the suffering of the dog. A person killing or wounding a dog under the conditions set out in this section shall promptly report to the owner, animal control officer or police officer such killing or wounding. Prompt killing of a wounded dog, or a prompt report to the owner or to a dog officer of the wounding of the dog, shall be considered evidence of sufficient regard for the suffering of the dog.

Credits
Amended by St.1934, c. 320, § 19; St.1951, c. 156; St.2012, c. 193, § 31, eff. Oct. 31, 2012.

I don't understand people who own dogs that do shit like this (kill pets, bite kids ect.) are surprised when someone pops the damn thing.

Stuff like this, it can't be helped sometimes. No matter how well you try and train them, it is just in their blood. They are well behaved and friendly around you, you leave them alone for a few minutes and the next thing you know they shoot a dog.

When I first moved into my house, the neighbor had a dog that would bark constantly, but especially when I was in the back yard doing stuff. Started feeding it meat scraps through the fence.... and saying "Shh." before I did it. Then I'd be able to just say "Shh." and it'd be quiet.... then it stopped barking altogether. Still gave it scraps now and again, but mostly it'd see me come outside and just lay down and wag its tail.

Back
Top Bottom