Tavor: who has one or opinion

Out of curiosity, how do you know what the lead time is? I didn't see it anywhere on my PO or the item I ordered? All I got was an auto-receipt.

I'll take it at the word of others on here who have had experience with this company on the past, but I don't see how they stay in business with the poor communication and customer support. They have no telephone number, nobody replies to emails, and their reviews are like 1.7 out of 5 on Google. Thankfully, I ordered using a CC so will just cancel if it comes down to it, but I truly don't get it- these are expensive products people are shelling out good money for.
Someone else here said it took 3 to 4 weeks to ship. In todays world lets face it we all like instant gratification, order on Monday night and get it Tuesday from Amazon.....and there's no excuse for non existent customer service. Personally on this order I'm not in a rush as I have lots of other bang bangs I can use and the Travor is perfectly usable as is. We'll see what happens.

So, my 'precious' - quite literally - just arrived. fun, a new toy, it was quite a while since a last time i had a brand new rifle.
$1899 from gunbroker, 2 days shipping, 40min wait at FFL to get papers done and muzzle device bolted on.
now to wait for the rest of parts to arrive - manticore curved buttpad, pistol grip, front grip, scope, etc. i also ordered super sabra pack/trigger, but, that will probably take forever.
FFL even had an ammo - 5.56nato - at $.70pr, so got some too as gunbroker is not cheaper now at all. darn times...

What also an FFL guy said to me - put a Sig Romeo7 on it, it was his 'default' setup when he was selling those x95 from his stock. he does not mind the prism, but, says romeo7 for this one is better. i guess it all makes perfect sense, for what this rifle is - will see.
Now all i can wish for is for Holliston MFS to get their rifle range open soon, so i would not have to drive who knows where to test this build.
x95.jpg

Picked my X95 up this morning and put my EOTech on it. No ammo in stock at the dealer so I'll have to hunt around.... At least I have it.
congrats- what did yours cost?
also, with this eotech - you do not feel if it needs to be 0.5"-1" higher? looks/feels good height wise?

Last edited:
I watched some guy on Youtube provide a 'real world' scenario of clearing rooms, etc. with a 2.5 of 3x ACSS
i know it is not going to be approved by some :) - but i do plan to setup mine with a green laser on the lower front rail, and it will be an adequate assist for a short range combat situations, if such may occur. i plan on getting same one i have on my glock - this one.
View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W459Y5F

so far it holds zero quite well and is extremely bright. it should fit front lower rail in front of the vertical grip, and on/off button will be right there. body is solid aluminum and seems to be holding up ok. plus, a $70 is reasonable.

i know it is not going to be approved by some :) - but i do plan to setup mine with a green laser on the lower front rail, and it will be an adequate assist for a short range combat situations, if such may occur. i plan on getting same one i have on my glock - this one.
View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W459Y5F

so far it holds zero quite well and is extremely bright. it should fit front lower rail in front of the vertical grip, and on/off button will be right there. body is solid aluminum and seems to be holding up ok. plus, a $70 is reasonable.

I haven't used a laser yet but I'm thinking only the top rail will give consistent zero. Side and bottom rails are all polymer and attached only by a screw, come off easily as the forend, flex a lot with mild pressure. Meanwhile the top rail is metal and attached directly to the barrel.

X95 Barrel and Rail.jpg

Last edited:
congrats- what did yours cost?
Thanks! You too apparently, hah! I paid $1899 off gun broker with the buy it now plus $39 two day shipping plus $20 transfer.

also, with this eotech - you do not feel if it needs to be 0.5"-1" higher? looks/feels good height wise?

I don't really know yet, it seem ok but I haven't shot the rifle yet. I've had this sight for years so I'm just going to reuse it. I don't do any training, I just like to make the steel plates "gong" at 100 yards. I'm sure it will be fine for me. :)

I haven't used a laser yet but I'm thinking only the top rail will give consistent results. Side and bottom rails are all polymer and attached only by a screw, come off easily as the forend, flex a lot with mild pressure. Meanwhile the top rail is metal and attached directly to the barrel.
in my opinion - laser is really a 5-10yds device, max, a short range combat tool - as at that range you just literally point it at the mark and shoot. on my glock g34 laser is dead accurate - a POI is 1.5"-2" left a bit from the POA at 10yds, then gets to 4" at 20yds - i stopped messing with it as i got it to that accuracy level, as it is not really getting to be used even at such distance. poured loctite on its screws and it is now holding up very well, after a 600 rounds or so - i did not adjust it at all anymore. damn thing jsut always shifts after the adjustment, then locks into some new position and remains there, so, it is really an iterative process with it. i can live with some left offset on it.

i still not decided on what i will do. ideally this rifle shines in 10-50yd combat - but - a lot of folks say it is reasonably OK up to 300yds - and i know for a fact that i am not going to hit much at 100-200yds with a 1x magnifier optic. therefore i went with a 1-6x viper - but - it is not possible to use it efficiently at short ranges - therefore - laser. even with all the play of plastic lower rail it should be adequate to hit a 5' body from 5-10yds, i would think. unless it really flexes way too much, especially with a front grip on it. will see.

i also think i saw a replacement front rails for x95 - aluminum ones. it may be the next good thing to do, actually, i need to search for it. i think i was wrong - as that does not seem to be the one

ps. stock trigger is indeed heavy. i hope the super sabra will eventually arrive and it is as good as it is promised to be.

Last edited:
ps. stock trigger is indeed heavy. i hope the super sabra will eventually arrive and it is as good as it is promised to be.
You’ll probably need to buy or borrow a barrel tool for the trigger. Would also recommend finding someone with the foreend to try if you’re considering it since that and attachments will end up adding quite a bit of weight to the rifle. Might end up like a guy with one huge arm from jerking off too much since the weight is mostly on the strong arm.

it is actually quite annoying - but - i do not really see anywhere what is the actual center dot size for the MEPRO 21 bullseye center.

Pretty much WOM at 100yd (Width of Man). Not a precision sight but the human mind and eye can center to 8 inches COM at 100yd easy even if the dot covers the width your target. Sniper rifle, it’s not.

I like my Trijicon TA33 Green Horseshoe optic. The range limitation is if under cover on a bright day, the reticle is very faint.

You’ll probably need to buy or borrow a barrel tool for the trigger.

Geissele's Super Sabra is the trigger pack, drop-in without any tools. Their Lightning Bow is the trigger you will need a barrel wrench to install. Just be sure you remove the charging handle/rod before turning that wrench or you'll need to replace both rod and gas block.

DAAAMN!!! They came up with an ETA: 05/06/2021. Wow.

Yeah, I was on the in-stock alert on Big Daddy Unlimited for a few months this summer before they popped up again. Those suckers are popular. But surely some other vendor could get it to you faster than that.

I am now on the Tavor owner bandwagon. Unfortunately it feels like I might have gotten it just in time... Does anyone have any experience with converting it to left side ejection? I shoot rifles lefty and am wondering how difficult it is to do. I am generally pretty adventurous with taking stuff apart and putting it back together, but I am by no means a gunsmith.

I am now on the Tavor owner bandwagon. Unfortunately it feels like I might have gotten it just in time... Does anyone have any experience with converting it to left side ejection? I shoot rifles lefty and am wondering how difficult it is to do. I am generally pretty adventurous with taking stuff apart and putting it back together, but I am by no means a gunsmith.
You do need the left hand bolt to convert it to left hand ejection. Other than that, there are multiple sources on the WEB that walk you through the process. It’s not rocket science.

Just got through running some rounds through my X95 with its new Switchback Charging Handle from Manticore Arms and I must say I really like it. Well worth 84 bucks. The Switchback more than doubles the usable length of the charging handle, making it easy to get a two finger grip on it. For me, the stock handle with room for just a one finger grip was much more difficult to operate. I’ve arthritis in my left hand fingers and the ability to use two on the charging handle versus one makes a big difference. The nice thing about about the Switchback is when you release it the handle folds back against the gun and actually is less like to snag on something or bang against a barrier than the stock handle. All in all happy with it and don’t see any downsides. And they are even in stock at Manticore.

Picked my X95 up this morning and put my EOTech on it. No ammo in stock at the dealer so I'll have to hunt around.... At least I have it.

if your gun was also brand new - make sure to take it completely apart and wipe it all clean, then lube with proper oil.
mine was all covered inside with a long term storage sticky substance, dunno what it was, it was really viscous.
trigger box after cleaning and applying bits of hoppe's 9 oil to joints also feels way better - lighter.

Last edited:
if your gun was also brand new - make sure to take it completely apart and wipe it all clean, then lube with proper oil.
mine was all covered inside with a long term storage sticky substance, dunno what it was, it was really viscous.
trigger box after cleaning and applying bits of hoppe's 9 oil to joints also feels way better - lighter.

Meh, add some gun oil where required and shoot it (after checking the barrel and maybe running a quick swatch down it, which is really just a safety thing). No need to deep clean it before shooting. Most of that grease junk will just burn off when you shoot it and what doesn’t will get cleaned off when you break it down after your first shoot.

While it’s expensive as rifles go, it’s a long stroke piston... like an AK. Don’t treat it with kid gloves... it’s not an AR. Drop it in the dirt. Kick it. It’ll be fine.

Seriously though, add some oil and shoot it to zero the BUIS/Optics. Then give it a goood clean and lube and you’ll be good to go.

I'll probably shoot it first and then clean it. Part of the reason I like it as stated above is that it's more AK than AR like. I'm in the minority in that I think the ARs are needlessly complex and require routine cleaning to function correctly. I hate cleaning guns, it sucks. I clean my AKs every 1000 rounds or so, a couple years typically. I don't expect that from the Tavor but If I have to clean it after each range session for it to function correctly then I'll probably find something else.

I'll probably shoot it first and then clean it. Part of the reason I like it as stated above is that it's more AK than AR like. I'm in the minority in that I think the ARs are needlessly complex and require routine cleaning to function correctly. I hate cleaning guns, it sucks. I clean my AKs every 1000 rounds or so, a couple years typically. I don't expect that from the Tavor but If I have to clean it after each range session for it to function correctly then I'll probably find something else.
I received super sabra trigger pack today - it is really good. Feels totally different from stock. Trigger pull scale shows me 4.5lb. Damn, I wish there was a such drop in box for glocks. :)

Amazon delivered an empty bag instead of aero precision ultralight mount, so, I now need to wait till Friday for a free replacement to arrive. I should get everything else installed tomorrow. Fun.

I also found a .223 dry fire trainer laser on eBay. Do not expect much from it, but, will see.

Last edited:
Do you mean right hand bolt?
Nope, I believe it is referred to as the left hand bolt. It is marked with a PL and it is the only thing you replace when converting the X95 from right handed (with right hand ejection) to left handed (with left hand ejection): Here is a picture from the Lt. Werner website (How to convert for left hand use), the left hand bolt is a mirror image of the right hand bolt (it’s the one with the PL marking on top in the top left photo).

howto-left-bolt.png

EDA: Forgot that Werner’s site is for the SAR, not the X95. SO while the procedure is very similar, they aren’t exactly he same. They do both require the left hand bolt, unlike the Tavor 7 which can be switched righty/lefty without any additional parts.

Last edited:
I'm taking mine to the range tomorrow morning for the first time. A friend is going to loan me some .223 so I can take some shots with it. I have 500 rounds in the mail.

+1 to those that recommend a full strip and clean before shooting, including the chamber and bore. I was amazed at the orange/brown gunk that I removed. During the first carbine course that I took with it I realized my live rounds would get stuck in the chamber and I could not manually extract them without mortaring the thing. A basic cleaning of the chamber fixed this problem.
As a side note, when mortaring a short length rifle remember to keep your head out of the way or you might shoot your hat off. If you shoot your hat off you're going to have a bad time.

Nope, I believe it is referred to as the left hand bolt. It is marked with a PL and it is the only thing you replace when converting the X95 from right handed (with right hand ejection) to left handed (with left hand ejection): Here is a picture from the Lt. Werner website (How to convert for left hand use), the left hand bolt is a mirror image of the right hand bolt (it’s the one with the PL marking on top in the top left photo).

View attachment 412084

EDA: Forgot that Werner’s site is for the SAR, not the X95. SO while the procedure is very similar, they aren’t exactly he same. They do both require the left hand bolt, unlike the Tavor 7 which can be switched righty/lefty without any additional parts.
Interesting, thanks for the clarification.

+1 to those that recommend a full strip and clean before shooting, including the chamber and bore. I was amazed at the orange/brown gunk that I removed.
to me it is just a bit of a common sense. prior to taking a new weapon to a range, it`s just reasonable to learn of how to take it apart, completely, and work out any possible issues.
like i just did on my new rifle - a hammer head on a barrel was locked incredibly tight. if i would need to take out barrel at a range - which is unlikely, i would not be able to deal with it there.
and, deep cleaning before the first shoot - on a new just made weapon you really want to do it, to make sure it is safe and there is nothing in there either missing or misplaced.

anyway, i do progress slowly with my build updates:

super sabra pack and lightning trigger are nothing short of amazing. trigger pull is now 3lb sharp, first stage i set to about of 5-6mm movement, and then it is a very crisp release, feels amazing.
pistol grip, front grip, curved stock.

laser went on top for now, lower rail is garbage. need either a full metal one, or will live on top. also need to figure out finger protection for the front section of the exposed rail, it is unpleasant exposed. should not be in issue with gloves on, but, with bare hands - i need either to sandpaper it all, or.. well, would prefer to cover.

next is a 45deg rail offset where a red dot will be - vortex venom, but, not sure 100% of it yet.
scope - vortex viper pst gen2 is nothing short of amazing as well, it is as clear as a razor is anybody looked through those, at 1x magnification there is hardly any distortion - overall it is so good, i am not sure if i will need a secondary red dot at all, will see. as amazon lost my mount - i need to wait on that now. i ordered an aero ultralight, and also decided to try a cheap ass Monstrum - View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0851QYQ5Z
, as that monstrum sets optical axis as 1.65" above the rail. aero is 1.5". will see if it will make any useful difference. a picture looks like a typical chinese garbage, but, will see.

the trigger job, i would say, is a must. $450 adds up, but, the rifle feels now as it, i think, should had been done by the factory initially. the 6.5lb pull was horrible and release was very difficult to catch. now stages separation is really amazing.

x95_2.jpg

Last edited:
I only had 60 rounds to play with and it functioned perfectly, no issues. I started on the 100 yard, couldn't hit the paper, moved to the 25 and was able to dial the Halo sight in which was way off. It works great but we didn't move back to the 100. I'll wait for my ammo to come in and then go back but so far so good, I like it. I didn't think the sight feels low but I haven't shot enough to really get a feel for it. I'm going to take some skill building classes next year.

The trigger is ok for me, not as nice as my AKs but I'm done spending money for now. :) TAVOR1.jpg

I only had 60 rounds to play with and it functioned perfectly, no issues. I started on the 100 yard, couldn't hit the paper, moved to the 25 and was able to dial the Halo sight in which was way off.

this may help - it is not too expensive
View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0794YFRYP/
probably would make sense to zero it at 30yds or 50yds, but, it is your choice of how to dial in red dot.

I'm done spending money for now. :)
also, i noticed you have no sling on it - this one works ok - it is not fancy but it works fine.
View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JA9E7LY

laser trainer i did not receive yet, so, cannot comment on its quality. a lot of them get destroyed in a .223 rifles after just a dozen of clicks, so, dunno how will this one endure. in a 9mm i use a pink rhino one and it is just great. looks like out of 8 units sold lately one died after '10 clicks' according to reviews - so, seems like it is same junk as one from amazon, only 3 times cheaper.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom