• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tavor: who has one or opinion

always wanted a bullpup rifle; am a lefty and when imi produced the ambi-dexterous tavor which is the same length ans a 10" barrel ar15 [no tax stamp, registration b.s. needed] grabbed one right away. love it: short and quick, not the greatest trigger, like most bullpups, but the gun was not made for long range shooting. here is mine with a few extras, IMG_0261.jpg

I think bullpups in general are kinda stupid and gimmicky. There are a small set of specific applications for them in combat, but otherwise they are kind of a square peg in a round hole. There is also a significant learning curve to master the manual of arms. Also, ever tried to clear weird malfunctions in them? I have. Not fun. Some are worse than others, but they all totally suck in comparison to standard pattern arms. Pros: they look cool. Cons: everything else. Also thats a $2000 rifle + plus optics and accessories.

The lefty- righty thing is kind of overblown. If your a lefty shooting an AR, your not going to get brass in your face unless its an early pattern one without a brass deflector.

I'd sooner shell out $2k on a minty Colt SP1 or something. It looks cool, its an AR-15, and its a collectible that will only go up in value.

Would agree they are quirky. And I think with AWB's, they are VERY popular here in less-free states. Do we really need to fold or collapse a stock? No. Do we get pissed off that we can't so we want it anyways? Yes. Ergo, the bullpup. Full stock, short gun.

I had a X95 for a bit. I was shocked at how heavy it was for it's size. I could see where mag replacement could be a bit of a hassle versus "conventional" guns. But it felt nice and worked fine.

I have a X95 with the Geissele Trigger Pack and Trigger Bow. It is a different beast; I don’t even compare it to any AR type rifle. Having said that, if I wanted a 5.56 as my primary home defense gun, I’d choose the X95. The compact bullpup design makes it very maneuverable in tight spaces and the fact that it’s actually pretty hefty makes followup shots easier. With the Geissele pack and bow, it’s trigger is better than most stock AR’s. If you did want to use it for home defense, you definitely need to put in a lot of practice time to familiarize yourself with its manual of arms. The thing that I like the most is that its a long stroke piston, just like my M1 Grands.

Have an AR-15, AR-10 and a Tavor X95. As others have said, manual of arms takes some getting used to, but muscle memory from years of using the M16/M4 may get in the way. The Tavor is heavy for 5.56, but so are my AR's... AR-10 is a LRT-SASS format with 18" barrel and a 9x scope and bipod. AR-15 with Eotech and 3x Mag, VHG, backup sights, tactical light, etc. Neither are considered "light".

Tavor trigger needed to be replaced with the Geissele Trigger pack and Geissele Bow Trigger. Still isn't as accurate or crisp as the AR's with precision Geissele triggers and longer barrels, but the X95 is really a CQB rifle with practical target engagement range out to 400 yards. Love the compact form of the bullpup without the SBR licensing crap. I'm a righty, so don't care about left configurations. The 9mm conversion is interesting, but I'll probably just pick up a 9mm rifle like the CZ if I want that...

It's a reliable, compact, 5.56 platform that has practical accuracy with no AWB issues in MA so for me it's win-win. In hypothetical go-time/zombie apocalypse/red dawn scenario, the X95 is my go-to rifle, along with my Glock 19... reliable (gas piston vs. direct impingement, not getting into a debate, but for dirty environments I'd rather have the piston), compact (26.4" vs 32" for a standard 16" AR), and practical (you can find new X95's for $1400 and used ones for less, which is much less than a pre-ban 30 year old AR, it uses STANAG mags, 5.56 which is ubiquitous, and won't get nailed with the AWB in MA).

I like the idea of a bullpup, but they are just so goofy looking in my opinion. I have never shot one, so maybe when I finally do I could get over it. I have a friend who just got a RDB and he likes it a lot.

congrats on a great rifle purchase. VG is pointless and defeats the purpose of the six point contact with the rifle. it will run better without a VG. the eotech will likely require too tight of a cheekweld. it's fine when wearing a t shirt but non functional if you have on any gear or firing from an unorthodox position. many of us end up using a riser to get the correct cheekweld. it's an annoying element of the SAR and X95. the dumbest part about these rifles is the buttstock. it only contacts the bottom of the shoulder, which in turn makes the gun flip up during recoil. the manticore arms buttpad is pricey but worth it.

Manticore Arms - Tavor Curved Buttpad

Last edited:
I love mine but it is not a long range rifle. Easy to clean and put Geissele trigger in it! Close battle rifle. I use the pop up sights. But it would work great with a lazier and a night scope!

Having ARs and a host of other 5.56 rifles, the SAR take a bit of getting used to with it's ergonomics. It is heavier than you might exepct. But that being said, I've been really happy with it's accuracy. I must be an odd ball, my stock trigger was fine. I never had an issue with it. Back up sites are fine, and I have an Eotech EXPS2 that sits beautifully on it. Some people don't like how low the optics sit on the gun though, but that's what risers are for.

I recently purchased a virtually unused SAR and after sighting in the red dot and running a few mags, I like it quite a bit. Though, it is definitely it's own animal. I'm much more familiar and comfortable with the AR platform, but I was shooting 2moa off-hand and standing at 40 yards, transitioning between targets. I'm definitely the weak link there

Last edited:
I have Augs and a Tavor SAR, right off the bat, I like the way the Steyr feels overall shouldered. Shooting I need to shoot both side by side, I haven't yet. But I've always enjoyed the steyrs smooth shooting characteristics. Lots of people that do shoot it, always comment on how great it feels.
I'll never look at either one as my go to rifle, but I'd still lean toward the steyr due to the long reliable history.
The SAR can be had pretty reasonable on the used market. I picked one up recently for $1250 shipped with the geisselle trigger.
And if you are the type that looks at resale value of your firearms, then Steyr wins again.

Last edited:
The biggest issue I’ve had with them is the chamber being right next to my face. Just scares me.

Oh, and IIRC, you need a pretty big height sight for this.

I purchased a Steyr AUG A3 with NATO Stock (uses Standard AR Mags)in 2009.
It is one of the first 1850 Made in the US after the '94 AWB expired in
2004. Sabre Defense Made the rifle for Steyr until they were shut down by
BATFE for having Machine Guns going out the back door. So the price jumped
to $3K immediately after that.

I wanted an AUG ever since they came out in the early '80s They were $700-750
out the door then. The current model is about $2,200 now. I like it after I added
the Neu-trigger Mod. Most others that have shot it also like the rifle.

Malodave

out the door then. The current model is about $2,200 now. I like it after I added

Malodave
could have bought an original with scope in the 80s for 800$, since being a lefty could not find the conversion unit which went for 200$

Malodave

Just asking the question, as I have never shot the Aug, why is it worth $2200 for a 5.56 bullpup when the Tavor can be had for $1400-1600? I get an HK416... because HK hates us, but why spend more money on the Aug or for instance an FN FS2000?

Not turning this into a skinflint discussion like the FN Scar thread, just curious if there is any particular reason why it is more money other than marketing or simple “market forces”.

Pre-Newtown, there were 2 FS2k’a on the XC. I was scraping $ together. Missed out.

The allure of the FS was it was unique. It looked a tad ugly. But it had some interesting features.

I'm lefty and like having the brass spit out on the "right" side.
Just putting the bullpup to my shoulder and I want to kick down doors for some CQB fun!

Just asking the question, as I have never shot the Aug, why is it worth $2200 for a 5.56 bullpup when the Tavor can be had for $1400-1600? I get an HK416... because HK hates us, but why spend more money on the Aug or for instance an FN FS2000?

Not turning this into a skinflint discussion like the FN Scar thread, just curious if there is any particular reason why it is more money other than marketing or simple “market forces”.

The Aug can probably hold better then 7.5 MOA.

From a Quality standpoint, the AUG is nicer IMHO, just shouldering them there is a difference, to me the AUG just feels nicer, visually the AUG looks higher quality. Of course your also paying for the nearly 40 years of military service for the AUG, and arguably the most successful bullpup. Every time i shoot it, i like how it feels, its just a nice rifile.
By no means am i saying its 100% worth the money, but its nicer than the Tavor.
Accuracy, i don't know, but if i had to bet, id go AUG.

I think the AUG is slightly more modular. the 9mm conversion kit takes 2 minute to swap over, quick barrel change.
The down side would be the mags, but Magpul now makes AUG magazines.

Besides that, i wouldn't pay MSRP for the AUG, id shop around, you can find nice used guns, most people house safe queens. And im sure there are some retailers that will sell for a little less.
AUGS carry some collectability also.

Id spend the extra on the AUG, thats just me.

Went to the range today with my Tavor x95. 1k + rounds through it with no cleaning. Loaded 200 rounds of wolf steel 55gr and was shooting sub 1 inch groups off sand bags semi rapid fire using a mepro21 site at 50 yards. And I totally suck as a shooter. The ergonomics work for me as I am not a big guy. No failures and have used expensive and cheap ass ammo and all sorts of mags.

Went to the range today with my Tavor x95. 1k + rounds through it with no cleaning. Loaded 200 rounds of wolf steel 55gr and was shooting sub 1 inch groups off sand bags semi rapid fire using a mepro21 site at 50 yards. And I totally suck as a shooter. The ergonomics work for me as I am not a big guy. No failures and have used expensive and cheap ass ammo and all sorts of mags.

Sub Moa at 50?
Try it at 100 and let us know.
If you can truly translate sub moa at 50, to 1 moa at 100, then you have a unicorn x95, or you should be in competition.
I've heard stories of match ammo still getting 1.5 moa at 100 yards.

Sub Moa at 50?
Try it at 100 and let us know.
If you can truly translate sub moa at 50, to 1 moa at 100, then you have a unicorn x95, or you should be in competition.
I've heard stories of match ammo still getting 1.5 moa at 100 yards.

His sub 1 inch group at 50yards is likely 1.5moa at best, assuming it was a 5 shot group on it's own and not the best 3 shot pattern of an entire mag dump.

The X95 is fun to shoot and always gets comments. One guy at the range who had never seen one said it looked like a prop out of Star Wars.

For home defense I added Trijicon MRO, 1000-lumen SureFire, vertical foregrip, and Geissele trigger with pack. Just under 3# with a crisp break. I wanted a bullpup for the shorter CQB handling but being more back-heavy also makes it more controllable for my petite wife.

X95.JPG

I’ve thought about a Tavor, but never went for it. I’m now considering the Desert Tech MDR. American designed and made, and they’ve ironed out the reliability issues from their very first releases. They’re a little pricier and heavier, but accurate and you can easily swap between 5.55 and 7.62x51.

Back
Top Bottom