Tavor: who has one or opinion

They’re not for everyone, no weapon really is
I don’t compare to my AR’s, ‘cause it ain’t an AR !
I have it because I CAN, my likes & dislikes ARE MINE
Nice for home defense, fun for plinking
I wouldn’t want to be on the receiving of an x95

I’ve thought about a Tavor, but never went for it. I’m now considering the Desert Tech MDR. American designed and made, and they’ve ironed out the reliability issues from their very first releases. They’re a little pricier and heavier, but accurate and you can easily swap between 5.55 and 7.62x51.

IDK, i was into the MDR too, but for the money, i'd shop for a SCAR17 for a couple hundred more. No questions of reliability.

My apologies, I was not trying to come off as a marksman, just the rifle fits me, I have had zero problems and it shoots well for me. I have the week off and will try the 100 yard rang and post my results. But don't expect much :)

IDK, i was into the MDR too, but for the money, i'd shop for a SCAR17 for a couple hundred more. No questions of reliability.

If you’re shopping for “7.62 battle rifle”, sure. If you’re shopping for “bull pup”, as is roughly the topic of the thread, then the SCAR 17 doesn’t exactly fit the description.

Haven’t bought a new gun in about a year, partly because the Tavor is the next one I want and can’t get over the purchase price hurdle..still want one though as I think a CQB is great to add to the mix.
And as I say this I’m thinking of the AR I built for over $3k...

If you’re shopping for “7.62 battle rifle”, sure. If you’re shopping for “bull pup”, as is roughly the topic of the thread, then the SCAR 17 doesn’t exactly fit the description.

The caliber makes it a battle rifle, configuration is subjective to ones preference.

The OP asked for opinions on Tavors, so i guess we can both leave quietly.

Last edited:
They are great rifles, I don't understand the hate of bullpups. I have an MSAR E4 (a great copy with a Daniel Defense barrel) and while the order of operations is a little different, it is quite easy to manage and very accurate. I will get a Tavor at some point as well, I have shot a number of them and they are very good rifles, with a trigger pack, they become great rifles. And quite accurate, they have 18" barrels, why would they be less accurate than a 16" AR?

I’ve thought about a Tavor, but never went for it. I’m now considering the Desert Tech MDR. American designed and made, and they’ve ironed out the reliability issues from their very first releases. They’re a little pricier and heavier, but accurate and you can easily swap between 5.55 and 7.62x51.
love their bullpup compact bolt action rifle

The 7.62 Tavor 7 is now available. Bullpup and 7.62 for about $2000...

Hard debate whether I'd rather have my first 308 be a Tavor 7 or The Fix from Q. Definitely no T7 until a few months of public use and reviews.

Hard debate whether I'd rather have my first 308 be a Tavor 7 or The Fix from Q. Definitely no T7 until a few months of public use and reviews.

Apples and oranges, but no question, if I had that kind of coin ready to drop on a new rifle, the fix would definitely be the one I went for.

Apples and oranges, but no question, if I had that kind of coin ready to drop on a new rifle, the fix would definitely be the one I went for.

Sure apples and oranges, and eventually I'll have both. But which as my first 308? Probably The Fix.

Thing is I don't have that kind of coin because of student loans.

Bought one last summer in FDE. Added Sig Romeo 5 red dot sight, Giessele trigger pack and Manticore curved buttpad. It's 4" shorter than my M4 and heavier, best use is CQB. It's Ma. legal and I'm sure it pisses off Maura. I have mixed feelings especially the price but no complaints. Was at Harvard Saturday and a guy pulls in and stands next to us with his brand new X95, just picked it up from the gun store. I gave him a few tips amd recommended the above accessories. He said he lived in Brookline which made my day.

The caliber makes it a battle rifle, configuration is subjective to ones preference.

The OP asked for opinions on Tavors, so i guess we can both leave quietly.

Tavor is a 5.56 bullpup
MDR is a 5.56 bullpup (capable of 7.62)
SCAR17 is a 7.62 non-bullpup

The OP asked about opinions on the Tavor. My opinion was I’d rather get an MDR if I was in the market for a bullpup. Is your opinion about the Tavor that you’d rather avoid a bullpup and change calibers by opting for a SCAR-17?

... It's 4" shorter than my M4 and heavier, best use is CQB...

I just looked it up and the Tavor is listed at 7.9lbs. That’s not as bad as I thought. That’s the weight of my 14” AR without optics, but with a Surefire Fury for a weapon light.

Tavor is a 5.56 bullpup

The OP asked about opinions on the Tavor. My opinion was I’d rather get an MDR if I was in the market for a bullpup. Is your opinion about the Tavor that you’d rather avoid a bullpup and change calibers by opting for a SCAR-17?

Thats my opinion.
And I'm a bullpup fan also.
Have Augs and a tavor.
Whatever floats ya boat.
Pick a caliber in each configuration.

Tavor is a 5.56 bullpup

SCAR dudes, man. OP could have asked about mid-sized SUV's and he would have suggested a SCAR17.

Just shows how ridiculous Maura's edict is. X95 is PERFECTLY legal in Ma. but an AR is a no-go. I think the Tavor is scarier looking than the AR but what do I know.

Just shows how ridiculous Maura's edict is. X95 is PERFECTLY legal in Ma. but an AR is a no-go. I think the Tavor is scarier looking than the AR but what do I know.

There’s the irony. An AR has the following attributes:
1. It’s a derivative of the standard infantry firearm, making it the logical firearm to be protected under militia(any adult) useage
2. It can be built in calibers suitable for hunting any mammal in the U.S.
3. It is the primary firearm for the federally codified CMP service rifle competitions that are designed for strategic preservations of national marksmanship abilities.

All three of those respond to those intolerable statements of “nobody had a use for those scary guns”

The Tavor, and others that Maura isn’t going after, are none of those things. That’s not to say they shouldn’t still be protected though.

There’s the irony. An AR has the following attributes:
1. It’s a derivative of the standard infantry firearm, making it the logical firearm to be protected under militia(any adult) useage
2. It can be built in calibers suitable for hunting any mammal in the U.S.
3. It is the primary firearm for the federally codified CMP service rifle competitions that are designed for strategic preservations of national marksmanship abilities.

All three of those respond to those intolerable statements of “nobody had a use for those scary guns”

The Tavor, and others that Maura isn’t going after, are none of those things. That’s not to say they shouldn’t still be protected though.

I wouldn't say shes NOT going after them, she just hasn't been educated on them yet.

My X95 balances well in one hand with an Omega 300 suppressor on the barrel and with the 300ACC change over kit & suppressor installed runs so quiet I can hear the action cycle without muffs. It gets dirty suppressed but has run 800rd+ w/o any malfunctions. It’s not a 1 MOA rifle for sure but 2-3 MOA gets the job done. It excels at CQB. I run a MeproLight M21 bullseye dot or a ACOG T4 horseshoe/dot optic - both work fine but the T4 gets better distance accuracy in my hands.

Back
Top Bottom