• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tavor: who has one or opinion

Just got through running some rounds through my X95 with its new Switchback Charging Handle from Manticore Arms and I must say I really like it. Well worth 84 bucks. The Switchback more than doubles the usable length of the charging handle, making it easy to get a two finger grip on it. For me, the stock handle with room for just a one finger grip was much more difficult to operate. I’ve arthritis in my left hand fingers and the ability to use two on the charging handle versus one makes a big difference. The nice thing about about the Switchback is when you release it the handle folds back against the gun and actually is less like to snag on something or bang against a barrier than the stock handle. All in all happy with it and don’t see any downsides. And they are even in stock at Manticore.
I bought one and I took off pistol grip and foregrip group but couldn't figure out how to get the stock charging handle out. I have the owners manual and on pg.68/69 looks like stock one slides out. What am I missing?

I bought one and I took off pistol grip and foregrip group but couldn't figure out how to get the stock charging handle out. I have the owners manual and on pg.68/69 looks like stock one slides out. What am I missing?
It should have just come out with the foregrip, since it is normally clipped in there. Here’s a video of a guy installing it. The actual installation starts at about 1:40.

It should have just come out with the foregrip, since it is normally clipped in there. Here’s a video of a guy installing it. The actual installation starts at about 1:40.

no-go, the handle stays in the rifle when foregrip is removed.

Attachments

• Tavor Handle 1.jpg
    Tavor Handle 1.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Tavor Handle 2.jpg
    Tavor Handle 2.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 25
you need to tilt the T hammer module away - back - from the way where the handle rests into it. you rotate it back, so it would not be in the way.
it may be pretty stiff new.

i just got to cleaning mine - in may be 10-15 min can post a picture of how it`s done, if you still did not figure it out

There’s a ring mounted to the barrel just in front of the charging handle. It rests in a detent, so it won’t slide forward or backward along the barrel. This ring Tom Alabrando at IWI calls the “hammerhead” due to its shape. It has two circular channels, one for either left or right charging handles, and the stock charging handle has a forward tab that rests it in the hammerhead channel.

no-go, the handle stays in the rifle when foregrip is removed.

From your second photo, slide the forend the rest of the way off, lock the bolt back, let the charging handle rest fully rearward so it disengages from the hammerhead, rotate the hammerhead clockwise a bit (some are loose, others very tight, but it rotates with some persuasion). You can then slide the charging handle past it and drop in the new one. Rotate the hammerhead back to center before reinstalling the forend.

Edit: looks like Paul and I were typing at the same time.

he cannot rotate it probably - on new tavor it sits crazy stiff, not moving. on videos folks push it by hand, by a finger.
on mine i had to use a lever - screwdriver in it, and push it, and it barely moved. very tight.

Yep. I’ve installed the Switchback on four brand-new X95s. There were three stiff and one floppy hammerhead, so my small sampling says most likely stiff as well. But nothing to be concerned about.

I’m a big fan of TangoDown Stubby VFGs.

There’s a ring mounted to the barrel just in front of the charging handle. It rests in a detent, so it won’t slide forward or backward along the barrel. This ring Tom Alabrando at IWI calls the “hammerhead” due to its shape. It has two circular channels, one for either left or right charging handles, and the stock charging handle has a forward tab that rests it in the hammerhead channel.

From your second photo, slide the forend the rest of the way off, lock the bolt back, let the charging handle rest fully rearward so it disengages from the hammerhead, rotate the hammerhead clockwise a bit (some are loose, others very tight, but it rotates with some persuasion). You can then slide the charging handle past it and drop in the new one. Rotate the hammerhead back to center before reinstalling the forend.

Edit: looks like Paul and I were typing at the same time.
Learn something new everyday. It appears that my X95 is what Alabrando calls the IDF version since it does not have the “hammerhead". It is one of the earliest offered by IWI US. Now I need to find out why they added it.

Learn something new everyday. It appears that my X95 is what Alabrando calls the IDF version since it does not have the “hammerhead". It is one of the earliest offered by IWI US. Now I need to find out why they added it.

Earlier X95 charging handles didn’t lock forward, had no tab to interface with the hammerhead added later. The early ones also lack the forward assist/fulcrum Standard in current models (and the short initial fulcrum movement is pushing against the hammerhead). I think we’re on Gen 4 or so of OEM charging handles.

Sorry if this has been asked. for a south paw do you have to order one in that configuration?

I used to have an MSAR and changing from right to left was as easy as a bolt swap and change over ejection port covers. Is it the same with the Tavor?

Earlier X95 charging handles didn’t lock forward, had no tab to interface with the hammerhead added later. The early ones also lack the forward assist/fulcrum Standard in current models (and the short initial fulcrum movement is pushing against the hammerhead). I think we’re on Gen 4 or so of OEM charging handles.
Yup, IWI US is on Gen 4 for the charging handle. The older USA X95s shipped with a Gen 2 handle which didn’t use the “hammerhead”. Current ones ship with the Gen 4. For those of us with the Gen 2, the Manticore Switchback is a really good upgrade.

Sorry if this has been asked. for a south paw do you have to order one in that configuration?

I used to have an MSAR and changing from right to left was as easy as a bolt swap and change over ejection port covers. Is it the same with the Tavor?
You need the left hand bolt for the Tavor X95. IWI strongly recommends that you have it done by an IWI, US Certified Armorer since you need to make sure that the new bolt headspaces correctly.

left-hand-conversion

Just picked up an x95 a week or so ago and can't STAND shooting it because of the "tavor face haha", thanks! grabbing this now

Honestly, I went with Gear Head Works over Manticore Arms for the port cover simply because the mythical beast logo engraving offends my desire for clean simplicity. Later realized the GHW also leaves space to laser-engrave something one day.

Flex Swivel.jpg

Manticore Arms Cover.jpg

Just picked up an x95 a week or so ago and can't STAND shooting it because of the "tavor face haha", thanks! grabbing this now
a sliced in half - along the middle - usual black electrical tape does solve the problem just fine.
i posted the picture somewhere above. it works.

slide out the plastic cover. holding the metal heat shield from other side put the tape to cover the edges. slide plastic cover back. job done.
if too much of a tape is visible along the edges - trim the excess.
a black gorilla tape would probably be even better. i did now almost 500 rounds on it, i think - no issues with gases into face at all, and i shoot with a 1-6x scope, so, a nose is right next the that vent.

tape.jpg IMG-0546.jpg

Last edited:
I don't necessarily dislike it, I'd just prefer it to not be blasted directly up my nostrils every shot haha
you may still need to do what i posted above with the adapter you got - i saw some reviews stating that its gasket is not covering the whole port.
if it does - good, if not - use some gorilla tape to cover the gap.

so, it is going to be an experiment. i moved red dot to the left, and it seems to be usable. this way for sure ejector is way away from the face while looking through red dot.
if primary scope would be sitting on a usual height mount - it would block the line of sight with its left side brightness turret. on this 1.62" mount it`s ok.
and red dot control buttons are now under the left index finger, which is also a plus. interesting, i had never tried mounting that on a left. it should be a reason of why no one does it. :)

while at it, i decided to improve an original design by a bit of a duct tape, well, an electrical tape, as a gasket between left side ejector heat shield and a plastic insert on the left side.
will see how it will hold up, or melt completely under rapid fire. so far looks it relatively neat - i had to cut tape in the middle and position pieces along the crack, then slide cover back on top of the tape. i hope that an exposed part of the tape inside should melt a bit and get pressed into the crack, from the inside, sealing it. well, will see.
View attachment 413486

Also, bag arrived. I can confirm that this one - in 32" size, fits my x95 perfectly, scope and all.
View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FNCPXW9
You’re right handed? If so you’re going to have one hell of a time rotating the gun into you and still being able to see the dot, and be accurate with it. Unless you’re lefty like me, you should have the dot on the other side.

You need the left hand bolt for the Tavor X95. IWI strongly recommends that you have it done by an IWI, US Certified Armorer since you need to make sure that the new bolt headspaces correctly.

left-hand-conversion
Left handed is the better model to get than futzing with a conversion kit.

You’re right handed? If so you’re going to have one hell of a time rotating the gun into you and still being able to see the dot, and be accurate with it. Unless you’re lefty like me, you should have the dot on the other side.
i removed it completely, it is not needed.

you may still need to do what i posted above with the adapter you got - i saw some reviews stating that its gasket is not covering the whole port.
if it does - good, if not - use some gorilla tape to cover the gap.

I have some black gorilla tape, if I notice the gasses are still bad with this gasket I'll def remove the plate and put some tape on her, thanks for the suggestion!

I have some black gorilla tape, if I notice the gasses are still bad with this gasket I'll def remove the plate and put some tape on her, thanks for the suggestion!
make sure to put tape over the edges to cover visible gaps and keep pressing metal heat shield in through the right ejection port.
the idea, again, is to put tape over the edges but not to block those guides where the plastic cover slides in.

or, in case of an adapter it may be easier if it bolts on. gorilla sticks better and longevity wise should be better, but, a usual plastic black electrical tape lasts same well. i was afraid it will burn through - but, no. holds up just fine and is pretty much invisible.

Last edited:
I don't know what I'm doing wrong here? The TangoDown stubby grip is here but I can't figure out to install it. It says "Fits all MIL-STD 1913 Picatinny Rails" but I don't see how it will physically fit on the rail? I thought the X95 has all "Picatinny Rails" or do I need some kind of mount?

rail.jpg

Back
Top Bottom