Tavor: who has one or opinion

not sure because i wasnt the one handling it

but ive just witnessed guys go to the firing line at a bowling pin shoot, slap a mag in there, and rack the action

and then when they go to fire, it goes click

and then they try to seat the mag against the closed bolt and rack again, and still doesnt chamber a round

im sorry but do people really think the x95 is expensive? a colt preban lower is almost as expensive

i personally dont like it because i find an AR much more modular and natural to operate, the tavor feels awkward when i shoulder it and magazine changes are in a blind spot

i get it, u get a shorter profile without having to NFA but that takes only 20-30 days now on an eForm

I’m surprised how many people are sleeping on the X95, but I’m absolutely shocked how many people regret buying one. If you need sub MOA performance, you can cross the X95 off your list. It’s simply not the platform. You can certainly build a sub MOA AR for under $2K, but can you do it in a >29” package? Will your sub MOA build weigh less than the X95?
You can build a short AR, but is a 10.5” gas DI AR going to be as reliable as a X95? You can build a piston upper, but now you’re approaching the X95 cost and weight wise. The X95 still has more barrel, and the $200 you saved on the tax stamp can be rolled into a trigger pack.

With that said, you should still own an AR or 2 before going in on the Tavor X95.

Don't Want...

Too complicated looking. I might put my finger in the muzzle...

I mean, come on. How do you not want to put your finger in there...?

1604510287723.png

Last edited:
i personally dont like it because i find an AR much more modular and natural to operate, the tavor feels awkward when i shoulder it and magazine changes are in a blind spot
price - considering MA locality, or a price considering rest of the world? :)
anyway, as of AR15 5.56 - considering the use case of a 'generic' 100yd rifle - of course it wins hands down, on all aspects. no argument there, at all.
i only think of x95 9mm as a 30-50yd short range 'extension' of my G34 glock. plus, with this ammo shortage that does not seem to be ending any time soon i`m really not that inclined anymore to waste a ton of 5.56nato shooting paper.

thx for the info about mag issues, i will try to ask around if that is a common problem. who knows.

Any opinion on the Tavor 7?
a waste of a 7.62×51 round? it will fire it, sure, but, what would you intend to hit with it, and at what range?

sorry i think it sounded harsher than it should have been and was not intended. but, it is just a logical statement - what caliber rounds to use, for what purpose, in what gun. some may even like galil ace, why not, but - really, is that cartridge a good fit for a short rifle like that?

Last edited:
Any opinion on the Tavor 7?

It's okay. Kinda dig it. [rofl]

Yeah, but how many of those are built off 80% receivers? See where I’m going? :)

If you're referring to whether an asset is "papered", good question. I possessed them before moving to Tennessee (which has no equivalent to the Mass EFA-10).

If you're referring to whether an asset is "papered", good question. I possessed them before moving to Tennessee (which has no equivalent to the Mass EFA-10).

I’m all in on the X95. I’m just saying that you got to have your basics covered before getting into the space guns. The one thing that the AR still rules the day on is privacy.

X95 is the only semi-auto rifle I own. Got it for $1300 brand new. Cheaper than the ARs people put together in their basement on here and was local to me. I really want an AR and plan on owning atleast one but as "easy" as they are to get they're still a pain. You either pay a fortune or have to put it together yourself.

im sorry but do people really think the x95 is expensive? a colt preban lower is almost as expensive

i get it, u get a shorter profile without having to NFA but that takes only 20-30 days now on an eForm

I’m on almost 120 days (July 9) on an efile SBR and the atf hasn’t said boo. I love my AR’s, but the Tavor is a different kind of beast. Wouldn’t trade it for twice what I paid... especially now. If it’s Fallout time, I’m grabbing my Tavor before the AR. Long-stroke piston system was essentially copied from the AK, so you give up some accuracy for reliability. Minute of man is what this rifle is about. I’ve got a .308 sub 1-MOA rifle if I need to shoot accurately out to 800.

Last edited:
Pulled the trigger (pun Intended) on the Tavor X95 tonight. Paid $1899 on the buy it now from gun broker, factory new in the box. I know it's expensive but that was the cheapest I could find one and nobody has any locally. ARs are fine but everyone has one (or 20) and they just don't interest me, I don't plan to play army at 500 yards. I like shooting fun cool stuff at the range and I think this will fit that criteria well. I have an EOTech XPS-2 for it, I hope it's high enough.

Could somebody confirm pls - are all versions- both 18.5” and 16.5” x95 variety etc. still allowed in MA? Last time I cared to look there were no restrictions on this rifle to be shipped to any MA FFL - is it still the case or are there any recent gotchas needed to know?

Could somebody confirm pls - are all versions- both 18.5” and 16.5” x95 variety etc. still allowed in MA? Last time I cared to look there were no restrictions on this rifle to be shipped to any MA FFL - is it still the case or are there any recent gotchas needed to know?

I've bought 16.5" x95s from Mass Firearms (Hopkinton) and Gartman Arms (Wrentham). The only restriction for shipping from out of state is potential delay for a muzzle brake pin/weld. Gartman doesn't accept out-of-state shipments, don't know about MF. I used Pullman Arms (Worcester) for all my out-of-state transfers; never asked them for a pin/weld but assuming they could do it.

Last time I was at Cape Gun Works they still had a few on their shelves

I've bought 16.5" x95s from Mass Firearms (Hopkinton) and Gartman Arms (Wrentham). The only restriction for shipping from out of state is potential delay for a muzzle brake pin/weld. Gartman doesn't accept out-of-state shipments, don't know about MF. I used Pullman Arms (Worcester) for all my out-of-state transfers; never asked them for a pin/weld but assuming they could do it.
great, good to know. is there such a thing as a pre-ban 30rd mag for a tavor, at all?

great, good to know. is there such a thing as a pre-ban 30rd mag for a tavor, at all?

No. It uses STANAG mags, so pre-bans work for it, but a new from the manufacturer rifle would contain a 10 round mag for a state ban-compliant rifle. You can always ask the shipping FFL to replace it with a 10 round mag if they have one or just eat the the cost of the 30 round and accept the rifle without a mag until you can acquire pre-bans or 10 rounders.

Back
Top Bottom