Tavor vs X95 or any other bullpup (Opinions welcome)

I don't have a bullpup.

I was considering the X95 because it's a newer version of the Tavor but what I've been reading in other forums is that the accuracy of the X95 is not so great.
Relatively speaking it is 2-3MOA worse than the original Tavor.

I'm curious if anyone hear has any feedback on either the Tavor, the X95 or if you have experience with other bullpups. I'm open.

I wasn't considering the the FN PS90 because I didn't want to carry another caliber.

I have a Tavor SAR. It's a solid rifle in a small package. In the year that I've had it, it's performed consistently well. Accurate 2 MOA (average) groups with any ammo I've fed it between Federal Gold Match to Tula Steel Case.

Breakdown and maintenance is very easy. Upgrade and customization options are becoming increasingly plentiful. Reloading is very fast with practice. It's comfortable and balanced.

I'd pick the SAR over the X95 any day because of the accuracy issue you mentioned. The guts of both rifles are the same, it's just the framework that's flawed on the X95. IWI should have just released a semi auto version of the Micro Tavor X95 (the full auto version is used currently by the IDF), left it at that, and not reinvented the wheel.

20160617_151017_zpsingju2nv.jpg

It all depends on what you want to do with your gun.

The Tavor is not as accurate as some people want. But its as accurate as a military M16. So good enough. This is a straight knock off of a military rifle. Its EXCEEDINGLY reliable and can give you 20 in AR ballistics (out of the 18" barreled version) from a rifle that is the same length as a 10.5" AR SBR.

People forget that many of the ARs we shoot have enhancements to make them more accurate than mil-spec. Even the lowly M&P 15 Sport's non chrome lined barrel enhances accuracy, as does the lack of M204 cuts.

At shot last year High Desert / Desert Tech released a .223 bullpup semi-auto. If you aren't familiar with Desert Tech, they make high end ($6000) bullpup style bolt guns. This gun is the end all be all as far as accurate bullpup semi-autos.

But its not been through any of the durability trials that the Tavor or even the Steyr Aug. Its a civilian "toy". That's not necessarily a bad thing. Most of my guns are toys. And accurate toys are more fun to shoot.

So to come full circle, it comes down to what you want the gun for.

Don

I have a Tavor SAR. It's a solid rifle in a small package. In the year that I've had it, it's performed consistently well. Accurate 2 MOA (average) groups with any ammo I've fed it between Federal Gold Match to Tula Steel Case.

Breakdown and maintenance is very easy. Upgrade and customization options are becoming increasingly plentiful. Reloading is very fast with practice. It's comfortable and balanced.

I'd pick the SAR over the X95 any day because of the accuracy issue you mentioned. The guts of both rifles are the same, it's just the framework that's flawed on the X95. IWI should have just released a semi auto version of the Micro Tavor X95 (the full auto version is used currently by the IDF), left it at that, and not reinvented the wheel.

20160617_151017_zpsingju2nv.jpg

^^this
the tavor is badass. Get one.
i have no experience w the X95. It looks cool although I do not beleive it really has any true upgrades over the oroginal tavor, just differences that are matter of preference (eg charging handle and mag release locations, grip angle). The accuracy issues of the x95 are enough to keep me away until IWI can straighten that out.

In case anyone cares. I have a Tavor in FDE that I'm thinking of selling. I'm not in any rush. I just can't get over the 1 thing I don't like about it.

Its manual of arms is completely different from the AR15. I've spent 25 years running ARs and its totally instinctive to me now. I realized I don't want to learn to run another rifle properly.

So I bought a SCAR to replace the tavor. (I had a jonesing for a modern pistol driven rifle) The SCAR is pretty much all AR with a bit of AK (charging handle) mixed it. I was able to adapt in the length of one single day carbine class.

Typical for me, I kept the Tavor after i bought the SCAR Ha. Specs are 18" FDE. Has conversion bolt for LH or RH use. I'd let it go with both or set up for LH or RH only. I'm not listing a price because all I can say is it will be reasonable. I'll look at current ads and see what they are selling for and put it in that area. I'm not looking to score big and conversely, I'm not looking to give it away.

Don

yup there's a reason they don't hangout in the classifieds for very long.

Don what is the one thing you don't like about it? is it the manual of arms being different?

to me the magazine release is awkward until it becomes muscle memory. there also is no way to drop a mag with one hand...it's a two handed gig.

Do you think the accuracy of the X95 being not as great is real and substantiated? A lot of things I read on the internet just aren't true but ideas gain momentum and then you get dumb myths perpetuated by those may not have any firsthand experience.

I did start some reading on the Desert Tactical but I don't believe their bullpup has hit the market yet. And yeah....it would be completely new to the market and not "tested" by the masses.

To those who actually have the X95... are you guys seeing the inconsistency that the interwebs is claiming (first group is 2moa, then next group is 5moa, then next group is 2moa, then next group is 5 moa)? Or are you seeing pretty consistent groupings?

Steyr Aug is a great rifle, shoots as smooth as silk, accurate, and sewing machine reliable. Ergos aren't bad, but if ur going bullpup there will be a learning curve.
Everyone that shoots my Aug ALWAYS comments on how awesome it feels, don't knock till u try it.

yup there's a reason they don't hangout in the classifieds for very long.

Don what is the one thing you don't like about it? is it the manual of arms being different?

to me the magazine release is awkward until it becomes muscle memory. there also is no way to drop a mag with one hand...it's a two handed gig.

It is nothing against the gun specifically other than it is just different from the AR, which I've got a years of muscle memory with and frankly don't want to invest the time in learning to run another platform. There's nothing wrong with the gun.

With that said, the only real, true flaw to the Tavor that I've found is that when I shoot it suppressed, I get a fair amount of gas in my face.

Don

I shot an X95 for first time last week. Despite differences from AR, either I had beginners luck or it is pretty accurate. Have not shot iron sights in a few years and did pretty well at 50 and 100 yards. Any compliance issues in MA with standard barrel (16.5") with muzzle brake? Just curious - it is out of my budget limit right now.

I picked up a tavor SAR less than a month ago. I bought it because I wanted a bullpup and always loved the design. I don't see the appeal of the AR controls on the x95. If I wanted another ar I would have bought another ar. After a few range trips I have come to love the controls on the SAR.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Steyr Aug is a great rifle, shoots as smooth as silk, accurate, and sewing machine reliable. Ergos aren't bad, but if ur going bullpup there will be a learning curve.
Everyone that shoots my Aug ALWAYS comments on how awesome it feels, don't knock till u try it.

I at one point in time had a tavor when they first came out.

The AUG is a better gun than the tavor.

Anyone ever wonder why you see so many tavor's on the second hand market?

The only Pups iv shot were the Tavor, AUG, and SKS SG works. I loved the AUG everything about it felt great. Not a fan of the charging handle on the tavor but the one I shot was fun. I was most impressed with the SKS with the sg works kit installed. Iv actually shot 2 of the sg works 1 was on a M model sks that took ak mags and the other had the original 10 round stripper clip feed. Bot worked flawlessly and using the stripper clips actually wasn't bad at all. and after a few uses it became natural. For the money its a lot of rifle. Around say $650

Last edited:
1st time I saw it I had to have the Tavor, got one about 18 months ago and still love it. It's different from the AR but I don't like the AR so no big deal.

All i have done really is put in a shooting sight trigger, i can hit 10 inch steel at 100 yards on irons 28/30 rounds standing and am totally happy with that

I bought a SAR just afterr the US release. Mine very well could have been the first Tavor in MA. I liked it so much I bought a second one a year later. I have a ton of trigger time on the SAR and zero on the X95. I was thinking about picking one up but I would need to put a tax stamp on it because I hate what IWI did to it to make it non NFA. OP, did you decide anything yet? If HSA is local to you, send me a PM and I'll get you behind mine.

I bought one last year. I loved that (even with the 18in barrel), it was as short as an AR pistol or SBR. It handled very well. Accuracy was so-so. It was nice that the back up sights folded down and fit into the top rail. I had read about the heavy trigger and could live with it (felt a lot like a double action revolver). That was until I fired a friend's AR with a 3.5 pound trigger. So light and smooth, it was almost like full auto. I went back to an AR after that. As for mag changes, I head about the Israelis rocking the shooting hand back to hit the mag release. Worked well.

I had a SAR16 that I sold and built an 8.5" 300AAC SBR. I probably put 500-1000 rounds, maybe a bit more through it before I sold it. I'd love another Tavor. If I weren't a broke student I would have kept it, and would be picking up an X95. I loved my Tavor, but I wanted an SBR.

Mike

Sorry to renew an old thread.. I really kinda prefer the older SAR versus the x95.. Trigger is better.. But the ergos for me on the SAR feel better. Does anyone know a place that stock Pinned muzzle versions of the SAR?

You might try Gartman Arms in Wrentham. I doubt it will be pinned on the shelf, but they have a great smith that shares space (Tim) that could take care of it all at the same location (may require two trips through).

As a side note, I thought I had read that IWI was moving to a single trigger pack in the US and new manufactured SARs at some point would share the x95's trigger pack.

Fwiw..
I had an orig Aug with the "donut of death" scope. And currently own a ps90, fs2000 and a gen 4 msar.
Not a lot of experience with the Tavor. But they all have different attributes.

For me the FNs are the keepers.

Back
Top Bottom