Taunton Rifle and Pistol Club

Update, I was at the outdoor range yesterday and there were hardly any target stands... I asked someone there that seemed to be a BOD member, he wasn't but is close with them. Apparently some people have been shooting the stands to dust with shotguns SO they will no longer be replacing them. They ask that you bring your own stand and remove it AND clean up any cans of other stuff you bring.

I'll be making some PVC stands like I saw in another thread for myself.

Update, I was at the outdoor range yesterday and there were hardly any target stands... I asked someone there that seemed to be a BOD member, he wasn't but is close with them. Apparently some people have been shooting the stands to dust with shotguns SO they will no longer be replacing them. They ask that you bring your own stand and remove it AND clean up any cans of other stuff you bring.

Well that sucks. I guess as long as they still allow plinking it's all good.

I'm looking into a few options for building some stands for the range. PVC is nice but they can break and are more expensive than wood to replace. If I get the supplies I'll be looking for a few people (2-3) to help me build a few stands for the range. I'll post back next week. Let you know mid week.

When I start going I'm going to rig up a cheap frame out of EMT shorts that i can drive a foot or so into the ground. I'll pre drill my cans and hang them from some 14-2.

What's the word in bringing stuff there like frustrating old laptops, phones, etc.? All would be cleaned up after annihilation but didn't know if it was frowned upon.

When I start going I'm going to rig up a cheap frame out of EMT shorts that i can drive a foot or so into the ground. I'll pre drill my cans and hang them from some 14-2.

EMT works well but gets beaten up from hammering. I've driven short (3') pieces of 1/2" rebar in about a foot or so and slid the emt over it. It all comes out easy. The rebar is cheap at HD.

Last edited:
What's the word in bringing stuff there like frustrating old laptops, phones, etc.? All would be cleaned up after annihilation but didn't know if it was frowned upon.

I doubt this would be okay. Was there today and spoke to two Range Officers, membership is at an all time high (1500 members) and they are keeping a close eye on the outdoor range since the homeowners and the Middle School want the place shut down.

They told me that some guys were shooting light bulbs yesterday and were kicked off the range and they lost all privileges.

Here are the Outdoor target rules from the member's packet

"6.3 Targets and Firing Positions
1. Be sure of your target; make sure you have an adequate backstop. Firing is permitted only at authorized targets. Shooting at bottles, cans, or other metal objects is prohibited and can result in membership suspension.
2. Absolutely no shooting is permitted at any target on the ground or placed near or on top of any berm, post, or support other than target frames.
3. A loaded firearm is never to be elevated to a vertical position or any angle that would allow a shot to be fired above or below the backstop area.
4. Metal targets that are approved by the TRPC or are commercially manufactured, are allowed for use on the outdoor ranges. However, for safety reasons, all metal targets and their carriers must be placed directly inside of the impact berms"

Still a good place to shoot...IMHO

What concerns me is that I'm going by what someone said on here as far as shooting at cans or metal targets however the rules clearly state otherwise (we went over this earlier in the thread). I'm going to make sure I ask this question at orientation before i commit to the $275. Unfortunately shooting at paper targets only would be a deal breaker for me.

What concerns me is that I'm going by what someone said on here as far as shooting at cans or metal targets however the rules clearly state otherwise (we went over this earlier in the thread). I'm going to make sure I ask this question at orientation before i commit to the $275. Unfortunately shooting at paper targets only would be a deal breaker for me.

Ya, I first read the range rules as "no cans" but a follow up email to the prez resulted in a "cans are allowed as long as you clean up afterward" statement.

I wish the rules showing this would be clarified in writing.

Sent from my Photon using Tapatalk not while driving! ;-)

my buddy and myself made some sweet stands, 2x4's and 3/4" plywood.

went the next day and they were toast, shot to hell with shotguns.

never again.

does anyone know what the deal is with no center fire carbines in the indoor range? i haven't been to the indoor range in a few weeks and noticed the sign the other night.

kind of a bummer because i wanted to build a 9mm ar, or get a Hi point 9mm carbine.

was someone shooting .223's or something?

can someone give a list of targets that ARE allowed on the outdoor range?? i figure it's probably a shorter list than what is NOT allowed. i will be at orientation on the 26th, and will be clarifying a few questions i have about this outdoor range. i am wondering, what happens if i show up and there are people already shooting at targets down range, but now i need to set up my targets, will i have to ask the other members to hold fire while i set my targets up?? the rule book seems to be needing a revamp and clarification big time.

i am thinking an eisle-type of thing that folds up flat to fit in my trunk, with a paper target attatched, would this be okay??

Last edited:
can someone give a list of targets that ARE allowed on the outdoor range?? i figure it's probably a shorter list than what is NOT allowed. i will be at orientation on the 26th, and will be clarifying a few questions i have about this outdoor range. i am wondering, what happens if i show up and there are people already shooting at targets down range, but now i need to set up my targets, will i have to ask the other members to hold fire while i set my targets up?? the rule book seems to be needing a revamp and clarification big time.

i am thinking an eisle-type of thing that folds up flat to fit in my trunk, with a paper target attatched, would this be okay??

I have honestly never had to ask other members to stop shooting, they always asked me if I had to set something up.

As for target stands I think I will just go simple for now on and get some 1"x1" stakes, (property markers) hammer 2 into the ground and staple targets to them.

Don't mind my little rant, TRP club is a great place with great people, I just had a bad expirence, made some nice quality target holders and the next day they were destroyed.

Soda cans and clay pigeons are lots of fun also, just throw them on the back stop, golf balls on tees work nice too.

Sometimes there is no one there, especially on cold days.

When it has been cold and it's warm on the weekend it will be packed.

The day I made the target stands it was suppose to be warm, it was a Saturday, we got there around 8am to set up and get the stands made up, and also to get a spot, then started shooting at 9am

I have never not been able to shoot.

During the week it's pretty dead, sometimes there are a couple other guys.

I usually use clays or plastic cylinders from work. Some gentelman had a nice looking setup he created using conduit and steel plates. I don't see why you can't shoot cans if you clean up and as long as the range nazis don't see you.... yer good!

sent from my truck while driving down 95 in the high speed lane doing 55

I think one of the most interesting things I have seen (and then shot at) was a styrofoam head down in the backstop area. Usually just stick to paper targets or old clays & bottles I find down range. Like Rick1987 said, people are usually courteous enough to ask if you want to go down range and set up. Worst case if no one says anything, just go along and ask people if they don't mind, that you go down and set up a few targets. No one should have a problem with it. If they do, they should find a new range!

How long is the orientation? I would love to have some extra time to stay and take advantage of the new membership!

I did it in January and there were a lot of people there (they said it was the most they ever had at an orientation) and it was between 1.5-2 hours I believe. I didn't take the ride over to the outdoor range because I had already been there a few times, but it's worth going if you've never been.

Just wanted to chim in. GREAT club. The newer range is clean and set up well and the older range is getting a complete re-working soon.
the outdoor ranges are a bit out of the way and it always sort of bothers me being on the road to the middle school, so I normaly only go on weekends and school vacations. Nice ranges though. Cant wait for the hatchet throwing they were talking about at the Jan meeting...

More like he feels outgunned :D being right next to taunton and all

sent from my truck while driving down 95 in the high speed lane doing 55

LOL, thats not the problem. I have lived in Atlantic City, Conshohocken, near Camden NJ, and work in Dorchester at lot... I am use to being outgunned everywhere I go.

Well, I couldn't make it today due to my babysitter falling through, so I left a voice message and sent an email letting them know that I plan to attend the next orientation. Now I wait another agonizing month before I have a place to shoot (sigh).

Back
Top Bottom