Taunton Rifle and Pistol Club

Anybody go late night like 10pm or later?? How about middle of the night?? Anybody know what it's like at those times? I imagine there isn't too many people at those hours of the night. I plan on heading over there after the kids and fiance go to bed, LOL.

I've been to the indoor range at ~8am and ~11am on Saturdays and have been the only one there. After work 5-9pm are the busier times especially when the youth league is shooting. I like going on Monday mornings so I can have some alone time with my targets. [wink]

Whose hitting the outdoor range tomorrow?

sent from my truck while driving down 95 in the high speed lane doing 55

I was thinking about bringing my AK & AR out there, what time u going? I'm doing a disc brake conversion on my cutlass which I will be working on for a bit tomorrow, but if the weather is nice I would like to get out there.

I was thinking about bringing my AK & AR out there, what time u going? I'm doing a disc brake conversion on my cutlass which I will be working on for a bit tomorrow, but if the weather is nice I would like to get out there.

Thinking late afternoon, I wanna hammer away with my long guns

Thinking late afternoon, I wanna hammer away with my long guns

That would my time frame as well....maybe I'll see u there. I'll have an aluminum rifle case with me, for reference.

Anyone ever take 2 guests to the indoor range? I have a friend who really wants to shoot a gun for the first time as does his girl friend I just don't want to have an issue as the policy states 1 guest....

Well, I didn't make it out last weekend but was there for a couple of hours tonight...it was my first visit to the outdoor range. I was very happy with the setup. But I did notice that all the barrels were full with trash, and there was quite a good amount of debris down near all the berms. Is this how it usually is?? I mean, I understand the debris near the berms, it's all there for the same reason-to be shot at, lol. It just seemed like some of the trash and debris had been there a while. I understand there are work parties to address these things and would love to help out at one of them myself. I was thinking it could be the leftovers from winter if there hasn't been a major cleanup yet. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed myself...but from what I had heard, I was expecting it to be better kept. Also, I thought I remembered Eric saying to always clean up your targets and trash, but that obviously has not been happening. There was a little of everything out there from plastic, PVC, wood, metal, paper, buckets and empty shell casings. So I'm just trying to make sure I understand how this all works. There were no brooms or dust pans to clean up shells from the firing stand floor either.

But anyway, I was shooting well!! First time test fire for my new saiga AK conversion, and sighting in my EOTech & back up sights on my AR @50yds. I ended up grabbing bright yellow empty shotgun shells off the ground and setting them up on the beam that's already there. I was nailing those things at 50yds. I used 12rds to hit 10 shells with my AR. I didn't intend to sight in my Saiga, but cycled 3 30rds mags through it smoothly after fixing a small problem I had immediately with the hammer spring blocking the trigger from resetting. But I feild stripped it, tweaked the spring so it would seat properly, then shot the remaining 82 rds with only 1 FTE. All in all, I had a great time and look forward to my next visit!!

I have noticed that some of the members don't clean up after themselves, which is shameful. Whenever I go I bring a couple of trash bags and clean up junk others leave on the berms and stuff from the barrels. It is always cleaner when I leave than when I got there.

Well, I didn't make it out last weekend but was there for a couple of hours tonight...it was my first visit to the outdoor range. I was very happy with the setup. But I did notice that all the barrels were full with trash, and there was quite a good amount of debris down near all the berms. Is this how it usually is?? I mean, I understand the debris near the berms, it's all there for the same reason-to be shot at, lol. It just seemed like some of the trash and debris had been there a while. I understand there are work parties to address these things and would love to help out at one of them myself. I was thinking it could be the leftovers from winter if there hasn't been a major cleanup yet. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed myself...but from what I had heard, I was expecting it to be better kept. Also, I thought I remembered Eric saying to always clean up your targets and trash, but that obviously has not been happening. There was a little of everything out there from plastic, PVC, wood, metal, paper, buckets and empty shell casings. So I'm just trying to make sure I understand how this all works. There were no brooms or dust pans to clean up shells from the firing stand floor either.

But anyway, I was shooting well!! First time test fire for my new saiga AK conversion, and sighting in my EOTech & back up sights on my AR @50yds. I ended up grabbing bright yellow empty shotgun shells off the ground and setting them up on the beam that's already there. I was nailing those things at 50yds. I used 12rds to hit 10 shells with my AR. I didn't intend to sight in my Saiga, but cycled 3 30rds mags through it smoothly after fixing a small problem I had immediately with the hammer spring blocking the trigger from resetting. But I feild stripped it, tweaked the spring so it would seat properly, then shot the remaining 82 rds with only 1 FTE. All in all, I had a great time and look forward to my next visit!!

Anyone ever take 2 guests to the indoor range? I have a friend who really wants to shoot a gun for the first time as does his girl friend I just don't want to have an issue as the policy states 1 guest....
Email Eric and ask. My guess is he'll give you a pass since you asked.

The last work party I don't think anyone made it to the outdoor range because we were loading a trailer with the old range rubber. The next one is tomorrow. I hope to go there instead of working inside. I also noticed no brooms last time I was there, only a rake. I bring my own now, I hate leaving a mess.

Email Eric and ask. My guess is he'll give you a pass since you asked.

The last work party I don't think anyone made it to the outdoor range because we were loading a trailer with the old range rubber. The next one is tomorrow. I hope to go there instead of working inside. I also noticed no brooms last time I was there, only a rake. I bring my own now, I hate leaving a mess.

Well I didn't have a broom with me, I tried to move all the shells off to the side into the grass, there were tons of shells already there embedded in the ground so I figured it was not a big deal. I wasn't thinking I would need my own broom as they are supplied for us at the indoor range.

Well I didn't have a broom with me, I tried to move all the shells off to the side into the grass, there were tons of shells already there embedded in the ground so I figured it was not a big deal. I wasn't thinking I would need my own broom as they are supplied for us at the indoor range.

I've done the same in the past. I'll mention it tomorrow and see what they say. [wink]

Work Party today: Holy Crap there was a ton of debris there from target stands and targets. Found cell phones, FMS radios, playstation controllers, a coconut, pallets, a pineapple, glass bottles, cans, golf balls, etc, that people have been shooting at and leaving behind. Someone even took a bucket filled with shotgun shells casings and shot that so that all the shells sprayed everywhere.

Much of this stuff (besides the full bucket and electronics) are Ok to shoot BUT people need to haul their own crap back out with them. I filled my truck several times at each range. It's only a matter of time before the work parties become mandatory. It's a volunteer club and everyones help is needed to keep it clean.

As far as the brooms and rakes, apparently people have stolen them in the past or shot them. So, you'll need to bring your own in the future.

Target stands will not be provided because every time they make some (even out of heavy steel) members have shot them to shit. Someone even blew a big hole into some concrete they poured to hold a metal stand.

Last edited:
I was there a few days ago and the debris by the berm on the wide 50yd range was pretty deep. There was no bucket of shells there yet though. I think if the club put small dumpsters next to the berm people would be more likely to clean up their mess. Unfortunately people would shoot them up pretty quick. The same people who shot up the trash cans and the nice shovel we used to have to sweep up brass.

Well I will be sure I am well equipped to clean up my shells in the future, and will always retrieve my targets. Glad it wasn't exactly up to par, and hope to help keep the place clean and well kept.

hey guys, just a thought, i wanted to get some opinions.

trying to figure out some type of a simple target setup for the outdoor range that meets this criteria:

-easy to set up down range
-won't leave a mess
-easy to clean up
-targets that react to being hit (not paper targets that just end up with a bunch of holes in them)
-small enough to fit in the trunk of my car

so i have come up with the "Balloon Target" idea. patent pending, LOL!!! requires a little bit of prep work, but more exciting than a piece of paper that has a circle on it. basically, i'm thinking a 3' x 3' piece of ply wood (for rigidity and wind resistance) with multi-colored small sized (about 2"-4" diameter) balloons stapled to it, enough to fill the entire board. u could even blow up the balloons and staple them to the board prior to heading to the range, and fill a bag with back up ballons to reset the target when u pop them all first time around. pull it out of the trunk, set it up down range and your good to go!! now, you have 30-40 multi colored ballons which are attached to the wood (so when you hit them and they pop, the ballon is still attached to the board for easy clean up). plus, when you make a hit, there will be no question cuz your target will POP!!! a simple reactive target!! what do you guys think??? i used the "shoot n' see" stick on targets last time, and it was still tough to see at 50yds. i think something that explodes or pops is much more fun anyway!!!

My only thought right now is, how often will you have to stop all other shooters and run down range to replace the balloons. Oh, and after filling 40 balloons will you be able to even run? :p

Sent from my Photon using Tapatalk while sitting in the Burlington Mall parking lot.

My only thought right now is, how often will you have to stop all other shooters and run down range to replace the balloons. Oh, and after filling 40 balloons will you be able to even run? :p

Sent from my Photon using Tapatalk while sitting in the Burlington Mall parking lot.

well, i was thinking i'd be able to get 40-50 balloons on a sheet of wood that big. talking about 2-4 inch diameter ballons, which shouldn't take alot of breath to fill up. i actually have a little ballon pump that we got for a birthday party which is almost like the handheld air pumps with the pins for football and basketballs, except it accepts ballons and doesn't have the pin. so i figured before i went to the range, i could fill the board and fill a garbage bag to reload it when the first round is all popped so i don't actually have to blow up balloons while i'm at the range. i don't know, it was just a thought. thinking i will get bored with paper targets. i set up empty shotgun shells last time and it was great seeing them actually fly off the stand or pop up in the air when i hit them. it was much more satisfying than the paper targets, haha. also, i try to make time for the range when there isn't too many people there, like on a week night after work or later in the day on a weekend. i like having the range to myself most of the time, so this would make the setup situation easier. any other suggestions for a reactive type of cheap target setup?? i like the shotgun shells, but don't know if there will always be thousands of them laying around like there was last time.

I like shooting clays. I bought a box of 90 at Walmart last time I was there for $7-8 or so. Great to see them blow up when I shoot them with the AR, and then keep shooting the broken pieces until they are miniscule.

hey guys, just a thought, i wanted to get some opinions.

trying to figure out some type of a simple target setup for the outdoor range that meets this criteria:

-easy to set up down range
-won't leave a mess
-easy to clean up
-targets that react to being hit (not paper targets that just end up with a bunch of holes in them)
-small enough to fit in the trunk of my car

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/154893-Official-DIY-Target-Stand-Thread

Actual pics are at the bottom of the thread. If you want to try it out you're more then welcome to grab it before you head to the range.

Do they allow handgun on the outdoor range??

Yes. If the range is empty or the other people don't mind, you can walk down range and shoot from closer if you would like, but it's more of a courtesy thing to check with other people on the range you're using before going down.

Do they allow handgun on the outdoor range??

Yes. If the range is empty or the other people don't mind, you can walk down range and shoot from closer if you would like, but it's more of a courtesy thing to check with other people on the range you're using before going down.

It's not uncommon when the range isn't very crowded to see someone has driven up the narrow 100 yard range to shoot handgun at a shorter distance. You can park on the paved section and have your gear handy right in your car. I usually just walk up one of the 50s and take one of the small tables with me though.

SSShooter said:
It's not uncommon when the range isn't very crowded to see someone has driven up the narrow 100 yard range to shoot handgun at a shorter distance. You can park on the paved section and have your gear handy right in your car. I usually just walk up one of the 50s and take one of the small tables with me though.

Dude, your not supposed to give away my secretes! ;)

here are some of my targets over the years.
Clay targets, I pick up the unbroken ones in the trap field(just make sure your club allows either removeing them from the trap range and shooting them) I put them on the burm and blast away,
2. I take kids side walk chalk and score about 3/8 thick pieces and brake off. Leaves a nice 3/4" reactive target. I set them on top of golf tee,s or hot glue them to 3 sides of a cardboard box
3. Dollar Store------army men,dinosours, any small plastic type animal ect ect....they dont really break into a big mess and no more messy than clay targets or shotgun wads.
4. paint balls------I use old paintballs. I ask all the paint ball shooters to hang onto the ones they consider junk. atop of golf tees
5. eggs are always fun. you can find golf tees with somewhat larger heads that hold eggs well.
6. balloons, want some good fun fill with helium and try shooting them!
7. reactive targets-----you can wrap cap gun strips nice and tight, when hit they pop.
THIS CAN BE FLAMABLE........I do this with my pellet gun @ home

Last edited:

Yep, done that before on a pretty empty day with my brother. Backed down one of the 50yd ranges w/ his Jeep and used that as our portable gun bench.

Hey, Im looking to join a new club. Before i submit my application is it possible that someone could give me a tour or the facilities and answer a couple of questions?

Thanks

rtebeau said:
Hey, Im looking to join a new club. Before i submit my application is it possible that someone could give me a tour or the facilities and answer a couple of questlnks

Id be happy to Sat or Sun. Even put a few downrange if you like. Noon time - 2pm works best for me this weekend. Let me know...

ETA : IM not on the BOD or anything. Only a member right now... ill answer the questions to the best of my knowledge. I bet many of them you could find the answers to on the TRP Website.

Last edited:
Planning on hitting the outdoor range Sunday most likely, possibly Saturday. Trying out my new target stand and sighting in my new 10/22.

Back
Top Bottom